Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sewing machine for leather pouches? (Read 4872 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sewing machine for leather pouches?
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:30am

you're never going to punch through even thin leather with a cheap portable sewing machine.

Bear in mind that woven cloth is already a collection of holes, so easy to get a needle through. Leather is a seriously tough material that had no natural holes.

The smallest setting on my hole punch is fine for sewing leather. You don't want it really tiny.
the smallest setting on something like this is ideal: https://www.maunindustries.com/revolving-punch-plier/

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 4:54pm

sounds like some of u tried using a stitch awl to punch holes with.  punch holes with a scratch awl, then sew with a stitch awl...or needles if u prefer.  i find using a stitch awl to be a little quicker.  i am set up with both awls and punches.  i use
groovers, seam wheels and awls at night because of the noise pounding punches makes.  in the day time i use groovers seam wheel and punches because it is fast...imo.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:39pm

Got in the leather perforator today. Sadly it came with a tooth missing... so I posted a review and am hoping they offer to send a new one.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 9:41am

Drakolith wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:39pm:
Got in the leather perforator today. Sadly it came with a tooth missing... so I posted a review and am hoping they offer to send a new one.

Did you have a chance to use it or is it in a package?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm

It came in an envelope wrapped in bubble wrap, I also searched the wrap and envelope to see if the tooth had fallen out, but couldn’t find it. Seems they shipped it broken. I did try it, and it marks the leather well and slightly starts the hole for the needle, making it a bit easier to get through. But I can’t actually use it for anything as I’ll be left with gaps every so often. Still no response from the seller.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:05pm

walmart+4 bucks=scratch awl.  mark hole with ur perforator, make hole with scratch awl...then sew.  makes the job much easier, man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)