Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57150 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #60 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:33pm

When people tell you to practice slinging more often without knowing how much you actually do Tongue

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #61 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:08am

Bud Light Lime and Orange.  It's Bud Light with orange or lime peels in it. The premise here is that you take lousy, weak, baby piss beer and put pieces of garbage in it to somehow make it better. No thanks.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #62 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 8:17pm

I take issue with the fact that you consider Bud Light to be beer Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #63 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 12:32pm

Watching supposed survival experts (nincompoops)  on Naked and Afraid attempt to catch snakes.  They will try to spear it, which is difficult because snakes are thin, squiggly, tough, and consequently VERY difficult to spear.  They will try to bash it which is almost useless because snakes have very simple nervous systems.  They can endure a tremendous amount of crushing and still remain mostly effective.  I've seen snakes run over with cars still cruising along as if nothing happened. 
   There is only one way to catch any snake, venomous or constrictor.  Find a big forked stick.  Pin the snakes head with the fork.  Cut its head off.  Simple. I could do this as a child.  Why don't these adult "survival experts" know how to do this?  Dorks!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 10:07pm

I have been snake bit several times and well, sometimes there isn't a forked stick around when you really could use one. I used a rock to kill the first rattlesnake that bit me. The cowboys I rode with used their ropes to crush rattlesnake skulls.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #65 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 2:34pm

I watch a lot of MMA and some Boxing.  I also have some experience with unarmed combat. I hate seeing a fighter who paws with his jab, using it as a range finder.  The purpose of the jab is to knock your opponents fillings out of his teeth.  Don't throw a jab unless you mean it.  Also, the jab is very underused, especially in MMA.  It should be a primary weapon used to do damage, keep your opponent from being able to set anything up, and the setup for most of your offense. Follow a double or triple jab in and things open up.
    Here is Larry Holmes who arguably had the best jab ever.  Learn to jab like Larry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRKOBVih4uk
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2019 at 2:04am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #66 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 3:35pm

walter wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 10:07pm:
I have been snake bit several times and well, sometimes there isn't a forked stick around when you really could use one. I used a rock to kill the first rattlesnake that bit me. The cowboys I rode with used their ropes to crush rattlesnake skulls.

I've gone through that once and it is not fun. Can't imagine multiple times. Just curious, how does one crush a rattlesnakes skull with rope? I've heard of that before but never understood it.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #67 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 4:04pm

Lariats are twisted very hard, 30-35', with a loop at one end and a knot (usually) at the other. Instesd of twirling the loop end, spin the knot end forward and walk toward the snake until the knot will hit it on the head. I watched 3 brothers do this. BTW, we all carry side arms, but the rope is much more fun Smiley One shot with a blunt tipped arrow would make my day.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #68 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 4:35pm

That's amazing. Learn something new every day. I wonder if that goes back to a time when conserving ammo was considered a bigger priority?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #69 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 5:25pm

Before herders had guns. There are rattlers in Mexico.  South America? Spain? I don't know.  Horses, cattle and ropes go way back. Rattlesnakes often bite horses on the nose when they are grazing. The nose swells, causes the air passage to close. Horses can not breathe through their mouth, so too often... dead horse Angry

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #70 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 1:43pm

I've been bitten by Constrictors countless times.  Some pretty huge ones, in fact.  Every once in a while I'd accidentally pi$$ off my Albino Burmese, Clarence, and he'd chomp on me.  The bite looked much worse than it was.  It would be a bloody mess but not deep at all.  Snakes are hard wired. They do what they do. Every time I've been bitten I was doing something stupid.   Though I've handled a few (very few) I've never been bitten by a venomous snake and that's  just fine with me.  It's not on my bucket list.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2018 at 4:37pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #71 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 2:29pm

Here's one that gets me much angrier than it should... when you're making fried eggs and a yolk comes out of the shell already broken.  Like, what the hell?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #72 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 3:16pm

Boiling eggs and the shell cracking, leaking egg white into the water. Infuriating.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #73 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 4:38pm

Kick wrote on Jul 31st, 2018 at 3:16pm:
Boiling eggs and the shell cracking, leaking egg white into the water. Infuriating.

YES!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #74 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 10:13pm

Christmas commercials generally piss me off.  Christmas commercials and music before Thanksgiving piss me off a great deal.  I know I'm not alone in this.
    In the early 70s when I was in my late teens I worked as a porter (janitor) for Sears.  They started playing their Christmas music right after Labor Day. Constantly. By the time Christmas rolled around, almost four months later, I couldn't stand Christmas music.  I think there should be a law against Christmas before Thanksgiving.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)