Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57161 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Pet peeves
Reply #45 - May 18th, 2018 at 5:22pm

https://youtu.be/EvuL5jyCHOw

For that very reason I can't listen to Lenny Kravitz. This song drives me crazy.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #46 - May 18th, 2018 at 6:13pm

Honestly the lyrics for that song generally are pretty annoying:

"I wish that I could fly
Into the sky
So very high
Just like a dragonfly

I'd fly above the trees
Over the seas in all degrees
To anywhere I please"

I'm pretty sure 4 year olds could come up with more compelling lyrics.

Saying that, this song is a favourite of mine Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4OscceBWe0

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #47 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:25pm

My 3yo makes up entertaining lyrics all the time  Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #48 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:40pm

I am not a fan of Kravitz,  but at least his stuff is better then most of the music out there now. There is some wacky music out now, and with society today. Everything is so whiny.  I just heard of a music study the other day. POP and rock music, are about 30% more sadness then back in the day.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #49 - May 18th, 2018 at 11:29pm

You sound like an old man vetryan  Cheesy
People were saying the same things about the Beatles and Elvis!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #50 - May 19th, 2018 at 5:52am

I am only 31, but lived enough and seen enough to last 2 or 3 lifetimes. Nothing wrong with the Beatles,  but I am not into Elvis.  Lol. But.it's true, I can't belive 1/2 of the music that is out, is actually considered music.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #51 - May 19th, 2018 at 6:17am

I often tell my friends "My farts sound better than most of today's music. At least a fart can be entertaining from time to time!"

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #52 - May 19th, 2018 at 8:08am

I'll choose a Kravitz song over modern day Hip Hop or Rap because at least, annoying as I find the reptitiveness of the lyrics, the music itself still qualifies as music. I know that's painting a large genre with a broad brush. But somewhere early rap which was mostly party music and really not bad at all took a turn for the worse.

Exhibit A: This has 96 millions views.

https://youtu.be/1NyMSWqIJDQ

96. Million. Soak that in.

Not a Kanye West fan by any means but this song is actually pretty good.

https://youtu.be/PsO6ZnUZI0g

Or so I thought until I realized everything about this song I really like started with Daft Punk and finished with some very clever producing. Kanye's addition to it was just something to endure or ignore.

So... Ya another Pet Peeve of mine I guess would be modern hip hop/rap. Not sure what happened to it.  Huh

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #53 - May 19th, 2018 at 9:50am

As a quick aside, Daft Punk are fantastic.

I think one reason music seems so terrible now is just that there's so much more of it. Back in the olden days there would be a handful of records released in a month, now, thousands are released a day. Music is much cheaper and easier to make and release so anyone can do it, whether or not they have talent or original ideas. The music everyone ends up hearing is designed to appeal to the largest group possible. It used to be each group would have their own tastes and so it was easy to market to those groups and be guaranteed sales. You want to sell a punk record? Advertise it to punks. You want to sell a rock record? Those guys with the long hair will like it. Nowadays, because of the internet mostly, everyone is open to listening to different genres and doesn't just stick to one genre so the record companies have to make bland, unobjectionable, easily digestible music that both kids, grandparents and everyone in between will at least tolerate. All the interesting creative stuff has been pushed to the sides. It's definitely still there and that's where the internet comes to the rescue in that you can find all sorts of weird, interesting stuff without going anywhere near any Top 10's or music awards but it is that bit harder to find.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #54 - May 19th, 2018 at 11:27am

I would like to see Rap or Hip Hop that is really fresh and not guided by the modern big record companies. And without the degeneracy which I suppose makes me sound about 100 years old.  Usually when big companies get involved the SHTF.

Look at the early Maroon 5 music.

https://youtu.be/MHU6vvsTnbI

"This Love" had that fantastic blend of rock, jazz and funk.
Great song. Now, in an attempt to be seen as *good* to more they have lost what made them great.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #55 - May 19th, 2018 at 11:53am

LOL! This was penned about 20 years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the rapper:

“Whatever happened to the time when it was all about the rhyme, and the beats on the streets got your rep?
Now today’s people only rap for money or the fame.
Tell me, what ever happened to respect?”

Some pet peeves never change Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #56 - May 19th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Haha...ya it all switched when I was in 7th grade. I remember that vividly. 20 years ago was 98 and gangsta rap was absolutely in full swing by then.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #57 - May 19th, 2018 at 1:18pm

There has always been good music being made somewhere. Sometimes you have to dig harder for it.

IP Logged

AlexZaamii
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Canada
Reply #58 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:50pm

I am often annoyed by the endless use of the word "like" in between words for no reason at all. Despite my efforts to avoid using the word incorrectly, I find myself using it on occasion without thinking.

"Hey, like, do you want to like, go see that new movie that like just came out?"  Angry

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #59 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:24pm

AlexZaamii wrote on May 27th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
I am often annoyed by the endless use of the word "like" in between words for no reason at all. Despite my efforts to avoid using the word incorrectly, I find myself using it on occasion without thinking.

"Hey, like, do you want to like, go see that new movie that like just came out?"  Angry

Like, You are so right!  Like, literally!
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:16pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)