Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57167 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pet peeves
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:42pm

Kick wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:00am:
I don't mind language changes (language is fluid and evolves) but I have to be honest I can't stand the American pronunciation of herb where they drop the h.

It's not 'erb!

I was an herbalist for about 25 years and in all that time I never heard anyone pronounce it as spelt. We were erbalists  Tongue
There are thousands of erbs growing on this planet. I've only met one Herb. He was a short stocky fella Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:53pm

hey quit picking on us americans for our pronunciation...heck with our public school system it is a wonder we can even talk at all...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:40am

well if you didn't insist that you spoke 'english' - us english people might stop whining about the fatc that you clearly don't.

I say 'Might' - we do like to winge Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 9:15pm

My pet peeve is my brother's puppy.  She's about six months old and has a habit of following my dogs back to my house when we end our walks.

I walk my dogs way out in the hay field so when they do their dooty, it's no where close to my house.

As soon as Bimbo gets to my yard, she squats.  And I have to get a shovel and scoop it up and toss it out of the yard.

Bad Bimbo!  Bad girl!  She looks at me like I'm the crazy one, she isn't pooping in her yard, so what's my problem?

Her name isn't really Bimbo but she comes when I call her that.   Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 3:02pm

These days I find myself obsessed with tRump and tRumptards.  Our current political situation irks my soul.  My pet peeve is people who are too lazy/stupid/ignorant  to fact check and automatically chant "fake news" at any story they don't care for. Getting old sucks too. It's a sin what old age does to our bodies.  Time is a cruel S.O.B.

IP Logged

Zelur
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Germany
Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Back scabbards. Especially when people draw swords from them in books or video games.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 7:53pm

RM, you have probably heard the saying, "if you are going to get old, you better be tuff". Never thought I would have to be tuff 24 7 Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:32am

Did I already mention the incorrect use of the word 'yet' ?

No idea where it came from but damn it's annoying.

Things like: 'we hadn't done it yet'
The yet is not only not needed it turns the statement into gibberish.

I suspect when more ane yet combine: 'we hadn't done it more yet.'
I may well explode Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 4:42pm

That’s incorrect? I thought it was alright as “We haven’t done it” makes it sound like you have no intention to do something, and “We haven’t done it yet” shows you intend to do it.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:10am

we haven't done it yet - is fine. It's present tense.

It's when it's used for something in the past that it's wrong.
I actually struggle to make up examples - as I can't think the same way these people do lol
And it's just so absolutely wrong and jarring - my brain just won't do it lol

Next time I hear one I'll make a note.
It's a fairly recent thing - last couple of years probably.
And yes, mainly americans but it does seem to have infected a few brits as well.

Language is like a virus, if you use something enough it infects other people who start using it as well.
Not so much language evolving, as getting a nasty disease Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 8:17pm

but perhaps sometimes diseases are necessary.  meaning take ww2 germany for example.  the allies kept cracking their codes.  so even though it was too late and germany had already starting collapsing on the eastern front, towards the end of ww2 the s.s. came up with a brilliant idea that actually worked for the little while it was in use, though it was too little, too late....they started using german slang, in the form of an early version of rap songs and played over the air waves to communicate with each other.  good thing the war was already practically over because we had a hell of a time trying to figure out what they were meaning after they stated that.  they change words often and even had slang for that.   so changing a nation's language, usually slang,  in a way others have a hard time following can be a national security thing...even the american government has it's own versions of slang just in case.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:27pm by RS »  

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:30pm

ps.  i predict that as england allows for more and more migration into it's borders, their language will start changing rapidly and to the extreme.  america is a melting pot....many different people and languages melt into one, thus bringing many of the changes to speech and culture.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:16am

English has already changed and mutated and adapted and Britain has always been a melting pot despite the claims by the idiots and racists. Britain was occupied by Rome for a Hell of a long time and all those "Roman" soldiers didn't come from just the one city in what is now Italy.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:19pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 8:08pm

Don't forget the Saxons, Danes, Normans, French and Norwegians. 

Or the Celts, for that matter.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:22pm

Exactly. The history of Britain is a history of migration, invasion and trading. Britain has never been "pure" and is all the better for it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)