Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57166 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #135 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 4:04pm

Chiggers.  One of the most miserable things on earth.  When I was a kid we didn't have them around here.  I didn't notice them in South Jersey until the early 80s.  Now we have them big time.
    Wednesday while walking Max through the woods I picked them up.  I must have at least five dozen bites on my legs. The only thing that I've tried that works for me is Witch Hazel.  I picked some up yesterday after trying several other treatments suggested by friends.  Though I still itch some it feels like the worst is behind me. 
     For those who don't know, a chigger is a microscopic mite that burrows under your skin causing little red pimples that itch LIKE HELL.  Below is a picture of what chigger bites can look like. 
    I hate them much.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2019 at 2:40pm by Rat Man »  

chiggers.JPG (29 KB | 26 )
chiggers.JPG

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #136 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 10:35pm

LOL, lived in the SE for a while... hot humid summers chiggers and ticks I moved Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #137 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:06am

I thought that was fire ants at first. Forgot all about chiggers. I'll have to try witch hazel if they ever get a hold of me again.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #138 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 2:42pm

It seems that chiggers are always in large groups.  I've never seen anyone getting just one bite.  It's always a gaggle of them.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #139 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 11:55pm

Fortunately for you Morphy, the fire ants have eaten most of the chiggers near Houston.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #140 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 1:19am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 11:55pm:
Fortunately for you Morphy, the fire ants have eaten most of the chiggers near Houston.

I wish it was the same here,fire ants and chiggers seem to get along just fine,I have the bites and stings to prove it

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #141 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:06pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 11:55pm:

Speaking of that my first year here after moving from Cali. I stepped in a fire ant hill bare foot without realizing it. I hadn't lived in Houston since being a kid and this hill was hidden
In tall grass. What a miserable experience. Now whenever I see fire ant hills on the property I give them a warm welcome with gasoline and a match.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #142 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 1:34pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 26th, 2019 at 4:48pm:
I was like that until I was about 18-20. Around there... It started to change when I went on a cruise and tried escargo for the first time. Those snails tasted like the finest steak I've ever had. Now I'm like you RM. If it's new and I haven't tried it, I will always try something at least once. The world is filled with interesting food and I would hate to miss out on something that might end up being a favorite.

The following is off topic but it won't be the first time:
    The first time I tried escargot was in a very good local restaurant that no longer exists called Pufferbelly.  They were cooked in garlic butter in something that looked like a miniature cupcake tray.  It was love at first taste.  They sort of reminded me of a very excellent seafood.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #143 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:23pm

Yes sir. On that cruise I learned many things. One, escargot is delicious and two caviar is gross. Three , a dessert with rum in it is still rum and will get you buzzed. But ultimately just because something is expensive does not mean it's good. Who knows though, maybe I would like it these days. I am a huge fan of sushi.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #144 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 11:49am

The first time I had caviar was at a friend's wedding about forty years ago.  It was love at first taste.  I've had it a few other times since at company parties. As most of you now I'm way too cheap to ever buy it myself. I have eaten the fried roe of many different kinds of fish that I've caught also. It is always excellent.  Morphy, now that your palate is more mature and educated I'd suggest you try it again.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #145 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 3:37am

I was driving down the highway today and saw a black SUV tailgating a Camero. As they drove by I noticed the black SUV was actually a police vehicle. He was tailgating probably 3-4 feet away from the rear bumper of the car. No lights on, no emergency just a bored cop power tripping on some random citizen. I maintained my speed along with them and in a minute he switched lanes (no blinker of course) and rapidly sped up and around the Camero to get in front of it.  The Camero was running a mile or two below speed limit for obvious reason. I really can't stand cops like this. They will be the first one to pull you over for the most minor infraction yet rarely follow traffic laws themselves and often times seem to get off on messing with people.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #146 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 4:31am

Chiggers you can actually use clear nail polish, to get rid of em. Wipe the polish on your legs, it actually suffocates them. From what i have been told.

Morphy we have a ton of those in NJ. Up in maine i havent noticed as many. but the border patrols can get like that sometimes.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #147 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 12:21pm

Morphy wrote on Sep 1st, 2019 at 3:37am:
I was driving down the highway today and saw a black SUV tailgating a Camero. As they drove by I noticed the black SUV was actually a police vehicle. He was tailgating probably 3-4 feet away from the rear bumper of the car. No lights on, no emergency just a bored cop power tripping on some random citizen. I maintained my speed along with them and in a minute he switched lanes (no blinker of course) and rapidly sped up and around the Camero to get in front of it.  The Camero was running a mile or two below speed limit for obvious reason. I really can't stand cops like this. They will be the first one to pull you over for the most minor infraction yet rarely follow traffic laws themselves and often times seem to get off on messing with people.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #148 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 2:24pm

Once I was driving down one of our New Jersey highways, 295, in my Cable TV work van.  I was in the passing lane passing some slow moving vehicles. I looked in my rear view and there was a car glued to my rear bumper as close as I've ever seen someone tailgate before. I spend up and put on my turn signal to indicate that I was getting over into the middle lane so he could pass me.  I expected this would get the jerk off of my ass but he stayed glued to my rear bumper.  We were traveling much to fast for me to safely give him a break check.  I got past the slower traffic, pulled into the middle lane, and flipped the jerk the bird as he passed by.  To my surprise it was a state cop. He was so close to my rear bumper that I couldn't see his strobe lights (which weren't on).  The shelf in my truck blocked my view of them.  He pulled up next to me and gave me the evil eye.  From the shocked look on my face he must have figured out that I had no idea he was a Statey.  He sped off and left me to stuff my heart back into my chest.  Had he given me a ticket I would have fought it in court no matter how useless such and endeavor might have proven.  He was driving recklessly for no apparent reason.  Anyway it ended well..

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #149 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 2:57pm

Every year around this time I do my Yellowjacket rant.  Yellowjackets are a type of wasp.  They are to the best of my knowledge the only other creature on earth besides man who realize their own mortality.
    For most of the year they are generally benign unless you disturb their nest.  Come late Summer and early Autumn they know their days are numbered.  They eat their own young, destroy their own nest, and go on a stinging orgy.  They will sting anything they can before they die.  Sometimes that's me.  Late Summer and early Fall Yellowjackets are a pain in the arse.
     I have been stung countless times by all different sorts of bees, wasps, hornets, etc..  Usually it's no big deal.  For some reason Yellowjacket stings are particularly painful for me and the pain lasts longer than with other stings.  Also in about a week  my skin around the area of the sting will all die and peel off.  Yellowjackets in the Fall suck.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2019 at 9:45pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)