Pet peeves (Read 9583 times)
Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #120 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:29am

one phrase that fills me with horror on the gut bacteria front is: 'faecal implants'.

And yes it means exactly what it says.
Apparently it's one way to 'import' another persons beneficial bacteria into someone else's gut.

I think I'll stick to live yoghurt Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #121 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:34pm

Teg wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:47pm:
Kick wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 3:23pm:
Then there is all the bacteria in your gut which has been found to influence people's behaviour and mood.

I guess most people who had a longer antibiotics therapy can tell a story about that, regarding mood as well as ... mode of operation of your gut ...  Lips Sealed

Rat Man wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Germaphobes;

which may contain the annoying species of antibiotics-overusers... It's not just silly, it's outright dangerous for you as well as for the public health.

My late wife Marie, rest her soul, was a chronic overuser of antibiotics.  Every time she caught a cold or anything else she'd take them.  I tried to convince her that when she caught something that actually required antibiotics they wouldn't work on her because of her constant use of them.  Like most wives of course she completely ignored my good advice.

IP Logged

Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Reply #122 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:39pm

I'm a nurse and my girlfriend is studying microbiology with a particular interest in immunology so we're SUPER careful with antibiotics. They're also cracking down a lot on handing antibiotics out over here in Finland. When I hear that in parts of Asia you can get them wthout a prescription and everyone takes them for the slightest sniffle... Terrifying. I've seen people with MRSA and other resistant infections. It ain't fun.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #123 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:40pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 6:29am:
one phrase that fills me with horror on the gut bacteria front is: 'faecal implants'.

And yes it means exactly what it says.
Apparently it's one way to 'import' another persons beneficial bacteria into someone else's gut.

I think I'll stick to live yoghurt Smiley

Ugh! Acidophilus is good enough for me.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #124 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:44pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
you're showing the backwards way to load toilet roll. Obviously it's meant to hang down the front NOT the back Smiley

I will remedy this in other people's houses, oh yeah lol

LOL. I have been known to turn the roll around in other people's houses too.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #125 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:48pm

Kick wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
I'm a nurse and my girlfriend is studying microbiology with a particular interest in immunology so we're SUPER careful with antibiotics. They're also cracking down a lot on handing antibiotics out over here in Finland. When I hear that in parts of Asia you can get them wthout a prescription and everyone takes them for the slightest sniffle... Terrifying. I've seen people with MRSA and other resistant infections. It ain't fun.

Due mostly to agricultural runoff there is a good amount of antibiotics polluting our rivers, lakes, etc.. here in America. This is VERY bad.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out the consequences.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #126 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:02am

okay back to the subject at hand.

This one is probably quite specific to the 3d printing industry.

I'm always looking for different and cheaper filament spools. A quick glance around this end of my workshop shows 30 or 40 reels of various kinds in various states of usage. Steve will tell you, organised I'm not !
I reckon about 2/3rds of them do not have manufacturers labels on the reels.

All filament is different, some is amazing stuff, some is a bit iffy and good only for dodgy test prints. It would be really useful to know who made it and what it was.
That way I could re-order the good stuff.

Why this isn't done I don't know.
But it is really annoying when you use a filament that performs brilliantly in a particular printer and you have no idea where it came from or who made it.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #127 - May 24th, 2019 at 12:47pm

Here's one of my pet peeves.... I think of something great to post on slinging.org then the next time I'm at my computer I can't remember it.  I had a great pet peeve in my head earlier.  I should have written it down but I was sure I'd remember it. I don't.  Eventually it'll come back to me.  My crappy short term memory is more the result of Lyme Disease damage than old age.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)