Pet peeves (Read 57171 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #120 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:29am

one phrase that fills me with horror on the gut bacteria front is: 'faecal implants'.

And yes it means exactly what it says.
Apparently it's one way to 'import' another persons beneficial bacteria into someone else's gut.

I think I'll stick to live yoghurt Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #121 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:34pm

Teg wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:47pm:
Kick wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 3:23pm:
Then there is all the bacteria in your gut which has been found to influence people's behaviour and mood.

I guess most people who had a longer antibiotics therapy can tell a story about that, regarding mood as well as ... mode of operation of your gut ...  Lips Sealed

Rat Man wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Germaphobes;

which may contain the annoying species of antibiotics-overusers... It's not just silly, it's outright dangerous for you as well as for the public health.

My late wife Marie, rest her soul, was a chronic overuser of antibiotics.  Every time she caught a cold or anything else she'd take them.  I tried to convince her that when she caught something that actually required antibiotics they wouldn't work on her because of her constant use of them.  Like most wives of course she completely ignored my good advice.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #122 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:39pm

I'm a nurse and my girlfriend is studying microbiology with a particular interest in immunology so we're SUPER careful with antibiotics. They're also cracking down a lot on handing antibiotics out over here in Finland. When I hear that in parts of Asia you can get them wthout a prescription and everyone takes them for the slightest sniffle... Terrifying. I've seen people with MRSA and other resistant infections. It ain't fun.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #123 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:40pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 6:29am:
one phrase that fills me with horror on the gut bacteria front is: 'faecal implants'.

And yes it means exactly what it says.
Apparently it's one way to 'import' another persons beneficial bacteria into someone else's gut.

I think I'll stick to live yoghurt Smiley

Ugh! Acidophilus is good enough for me.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #124 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:44pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
you're showing the backwards way to load toilet roll. Obviously it's meant to hang down the front NOT the back Smiley

I will remedy this in other people's houses, oh yeah lol

LOL. I have been known to turn the roll around in other people's houses too.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #125 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:48pm

Kick wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
I'm a nurse and my girlfriend is studying microbiology with a particular interest in immunology so we're SUPER careful with antibiotics. They're also cracking down a lot on handing antibiotics out over here in Finland. When I hear that in parts of Asia you can get them wthout a prescription and everyone takes them for the slightest sniffle... Terrifying. I've seen people with MRSA and other resistant infections. It ain't fun.

Due mostly to agricultural runoff there is a good amount of antibiotics polluting our rivers, lakes, etc.. here in America. This is VERY bad.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out the consequences.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #126 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:02am

okay back to the subject at hand.

This one is probably quite specific to the 3d printing industry.

I'm always looking for different and cheaper filament spools. A quick glance around this end of my workshop shows 30 or 40 reels of various kinds in various states of usage. Steve will tell you, organised I'm not !
I reckon about 2/3rds of them do not have manufacturers labels on the reels.

All filament is different, some is amazing stuff, some is a bit iffy and good only for dodgy test prints. It would be really useful to know who made it and what it was.
That way I could re-order the good stuff.

Why this isn't done I don't know.
But it is really annoying when you use a filament that performs brilliantly in a particular printer and you have no idea where it came from or who made it.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #127 - May 24th, 2019 at 12:47pm

Here's one of my pet peeves.... I think of something great to post on slinging.org then the next time I'm at my computer I can't remember it.  I had a great pet peeve in my head earlier.  I should have written it down but I was sure I'd remember it. I don't.  Eventually it'll come back to me.  My crappy short term memory is more the result of Lyme Disease damage than old age.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #128 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 11:01am

Now instead of Bud Light with garbage in it there's Bud Light Lemon Tea.  It's brewed with garbage (lemon peels) and aged on tea leaves to bring you a weak, baby piss beer that tastes vaguely like lemonade.  I'll pass. 
https://untappd.com/b/anheuser-busch-bud-light-lemon-tea/3146597
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2019 at 8:14pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #129 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:19pm

There's a billboard advertising that beer on one of the major intersections near our house. I keep thinking it has to be just tea. Who would drink lemon/tea/beer?  Then again Chelada Modelo is pretty popular, so who knows.

Pet Peeve- You're trying to fall asleep. You're exhausted from a long day and just about to drift off and then you hear it: "bzzz" A small mosquito buzzes you and then is gone. There's no ignoring it. All you can think of is it sucking your blood all night long, even though you know this is ridiculous. Now you have to get up, turn the lights on and hope it comes into view enough for you to find it. 20 minutes later you are still trying to find it. It's going to pay. Mosquitoes will tell each other of it's fate in hushed tones for many years to come. This is personal. 

Another one involving sleep. You are trying to fall asleep but for whatever reason you can't. You have to be up especially early tomorrow and you know if you fall asleep *right this moment* you can still get a good 7 hours. All is well. But you can't stop thinking. For whatever reason, tonight of all nights you simply cannot stop the mental chatter. You refuse to take a benadryl knowing this will make you tired tomorrow morning. So you lay there, in misery. 3 hours later you realize it's just not going to happen. Now you have to take something or you will get no rest at all! But instead of getting 7 hours of sleep with a little grogginess from the benadryl now you are taking it with 4 hours left and your going to be zonked out of your mind for the whole morning. Touche, universe, touche.  Grin

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #130 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 5:08pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:19pm:
20 minutes later you are still trying to find it.

I don't know how many summer nights I've gone mosquito hunting in my room. One managed to hide for 1,5 hours (it was behind a painting). Sometimes I let them suck blood so they become heavy, fly slower and are bigger easier to see and clap into a pulp.
The most satisfying kills are when they come close enough, you hear them land on the pillow and then smack them with the cheek.

P.S. pet peeve : when I grab a mosquito mid air and open my hand to check its doom and it flies away unharmed no matter how much I squeezed it. always remember CLAP them don't grab them.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #131 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 8:19pm

A mosquito at night is a good pet peeve.  There's something about that sound.  ZZZzzzzzeeeeewwwWWWW.  It's burned into our ids like a race memory.  It's amazing how one tiny insect can ruin a night's sleep.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #132 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 12:02pm

If anyone feels that this topic is inappropriate and is offended by the following I will remove it. Maybe.  Breast implants.  Fake boobs.  I hate them.  Some of the most beautiful, sexy women I've ever been with were small breasted.  Two of them talked about getting implants.  I begged them not to.  Implants ALWAYS look fake and, pardon my frankness, they  just don't jiggle the same way.  Or feel real.  Breast implants on a woman wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me but they would be a major disappointment.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #133 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 4:11pm

People who decide they don't like a particular food without trying it.  My army buddy Al is one of them.  "Al, try this."  "I don't like it."  "Have you ever had it?" "No but I don't like it."  "How do you know?"  " I just don't like stuff that looks like that." This is an actual conversation I had with him BTW.  I am the exact opposite.  If there's something I've never eaten before I absolutely want to try it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #134 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 4:48pm

I was like that until I was about 18-20. Around there... It started to change when I went on a cruise and tried escargo for the first time. Those snails tasted like the finest steak I've ever had. Now I'm like you RM. If it's new and I haven't tried it, I will always try something at least once. The world is filled with interesting food and I would hate to miss out on something that might end up being a favorite.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)