Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chelsea Dubbin Leatherfood (Read 1587 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Chelsea Dubbin Leatherfood
Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:34pm

I got some of this stuff because I'm soon going to be getting a kukri and the leather scabbard will need some protecting. I mean, I also have old leather boots and various other leather stuff that will benefit from a coating of this stuff but I only thought about getting this stuff because of the kukri. I was just looking at it and thought back to my "Barbarian" sling which I rubbed beeswax into to smooth out the stray fibres and give it a bit of weather proofing and I was thinking would this stuff be ok for natural fibre slings? I think this would be a lot easier to get into the fibres than beeswax so I think I might give it a go. What do you guys think?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Chelsea Dubbin Leatherfood
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 3:24pm

we've got a circa 1960 kurkri that spent some years in aden and has been nothing but abused since.
Far as i Know the scabbard has never had anything done to it and it's fine.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 3:26pm

I'm sure it would be fine but I'm planning on using mine a fair bit out in the open at the Summer cottage so just to help keep any moisture at bay and keep it nice and glossy Cheesy

I'm thinking tomorrow I'm going to put together a hemp sling and try it out on it and see what it's like.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 3:57pm

Personally, all I’ve used to wax slings is craft glue, the type for fabrics that when dry is able to stretch a bit, and that seems to work really well. It also gives a gloss and you can tell when it needs to be re waxed easily. But, like I said I haven’t ever used anything but that glue, so I can’t compare it to more natural things like beeswax.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 7:48am

When you apply it to leather, work it in with a circular motion and hit it with a heat gun or hairdryer afterwards. You’ll see it melt right into the pores. Buff off any excess and you’re good to go!
You might find it makes your slings feel sticky and greasy.
I’ve heard of bowstring wax being used for slings before..... might work out better

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:46am

Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking of trying it with only a very small amount so it's not too greasy. I found the beeswax did make it sticky but once it was worked in a bit it lost most of the stickiness. Honestly I think this sort of treatment for a sling is kind of unnecessary but you never know unless you experiment Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 1:52pm

leather sling pouches don't need any treatment - well mine don't.
they just live in my back pocket.

Don't think the balearic guys do anything fancy to their slings either.

So what issues do you think you will get if you don't treat the slings ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:32pm

Well potentially damp and mold. I'm also wondering if it will help give it some flexability and then with the hairier natural fibres, help to keep it smooth. I've tried burning off the stray strands with a candle but the first time I tried I scorched the sling and it took a long time and still wasn't perfect. I also tried trimming them and that looked better but again took a fair while. Being able to just rub some of this stuff in might speed things up a bit. I'm pretty busy at the moment so don't have much time to put a sling together but I'm going to try and find the time this week and give it a go.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:39pm

I use very similar products on my leather boots and some other leather items... Neatsfoot Oil or Mink Oil.  They make leather more supple and almost completely waterproof.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)