Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alligator Sling Pouch from Loki (Read 1059 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Alligator Sling Pouch from Loki
Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:12am

Ages ago now I did a trade with Loki and received some damn nice slings. Because of the incredibly cold winter and my incredibly full schedule, I have yet to try out properly the two full slings he sent me so I'll hold off on my "reviews" of them. What I have managed to do is finally find the time to put some cords on the alligator skin pouch he sent along as well.

It’s a really beautiful pouch and very well made, the attachment points being whipped with I think a waxed thread so they’re really smooth and won’t break easily. The skin itself is really glossy and obviously very tough. To really do justice to this pouch I wanted to use a natural material (chucking a bit of paracord, synthetic string or even the bleached white cotton string I often use would just be insulting) so I went with hemp string which I used before on the making of my “barbarian” sling which was made with a buffalo horn retention handle.

I think I’m getting real good at getting a clean even herringbone braid. I'm finally finding the right tension though this did still take ages. This thing came out amazingly well and looks just as I wanted it to. The retention loop I folded back on itself and then sewed and whipped it in place with cotton thread which helps retain the all natural theme.

With it looking so pretty I was thinking I would just just keep this for display as part of my sling collection but then I put a rock in it and… this thing wants to be used. Summer is coming…

Thanks again Loki for such awesome slings and such an amazing pouch Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Alligator Sling Pouch from Loki
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 4:30pm

I like this a lot . Looks great

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 4:51pm

What a striking pouch. I agree, that needs to be used!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:08pm

the alligator pouch is the perfect size for golf balls.
I used mine for slinggolf in wyoming back in 2007 - even got a picture of it in the local paper Smiley
Powell tribune (I think)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:56pm

Summer can't come quick enough. We were up to 0C today so not too much longer and the snow will be gone and I can get out there.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 2:37pm

The pollen has already turned my dark blue truck yellow. 

We did have a light frost in the northern part of the state last night, though.   Grin

Mosquitoes, ticks, water moccasins, copperheads and rattlesnakes are already out.  As are the alligators.

I have to be careful when walking my dogs and avoid certain areas.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Luckily there aren't that many potentially dangerous creatures around Helsinki Cheesy Once came across a wolverine and my girlfriend's mother saw a lynx but it's far too southerly for bears. Those are really the only "dangerous" animals in Finland. There are snakes but they are pretty rare and stay far out in the countryside by the lakes. Mosquitoes and ticks won't be around for quite a while yet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris)