Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Colored synthetic cordage? (Read 4734 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Colored synthetic cordage?
Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:46pm

I love using Kevlar to braid slings, but all I can find is yellow. I’ve heard dyneema has multiple colors, but I can’t se to find ones the size I would like. Any suggestions? I want something strong, abrasion resistant, and low to no stretch.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Colored synthetic cordage?
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:08am

Search arborist Throwline. Comes in different materials that should suit and is a lightweight small diameter cord that you should get in 50m lengths. Just a thought though, food dye , my friend that I gave a pink dyneema sling dyed his a dark purple and added bright green cotton strands to contrast. Looked mint

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 11:39am

Drakolith what diameter are you looking for?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 8:37am

Mersa, thanks for the suggestion, I looked it up on amazon, they have a few colors, light green, yellow, and blue, a bit too saturated for my tastes, but a good suggestion.

Morphy, I’m not exactly sure the exact diameter I would like, but when I braid with it I’d like a 6 strand flat braid to be about as wide as 1 cord of 550 paracord (if that helps at all Undecided) The Kevlar I use is great, but I think it’s a bit thin, so, like I said I’m not sure what size I want. It’s just the colored one so have seen have been very thick. Oh, and I’d like it to be twisted, not braided.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 9:06am

So the diameter of your average Paracord is 4 mm.  So you need a ply diameter of .66 mm for a six strand to be the right diameter. Dacron is pretty close at .46.

Not a perfect match but you could always do an 8 strand braid and get right about where you want to be. Also it's twisted and fairly cheap and comes pre-waxed.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 3:23pm

Maybe look at hollow braid dyneema ropes . This will be expensive but very thick rope. You can cut it and pull out all the fibers and start fresh. Might be the easiest way to get fibers instead of cord

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 9:43pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Morphy I looked some up but all I found was really expensive, like $200 a spool... Also, Mersa, I think I would prefer something not hollow, when I hear that something is hollow it makes me think that it is weaker.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 6:37am

You can buy sportcord. It’s paracord but only about as thick as masons line or butchers twine. Comes in all the colors paracord does and comes from the same websites/suppliers. You can gut it too

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 8:31pm

Almost all round braids are hollow braids. Just a form of rope that comes without a core for easy splicing. By no means weaker . And like a said you would just strip the strands and use the dyneema fiber not the braided construction. Dyneema is crazy strong . It won't disappoint

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:16pm

second: sport paracord...

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:30am

Sport paracord sounds interesting. I can’t seem to find any for sale though, it just keeps coming up with normal 550.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:07pm

Try rope manufactures such as Marlow , Yale , New England , teufleburger , Samson . One of those brands should get you where you want to be. But sport cord is likely to be a nylon or poly of some type . Not really Kevlar like

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 2:15pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=dacron+bowstring&client=ms-unknown&sa=X&biw=412&...

Dacron bow string material has been around forever. It's pretty cheap.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 5:27pm

Thanks for all the help guys, I’m thinking Dacron might be the way to go for me now. Think this is thick enough for my desired result of paracord thickness on a flat braid?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LC8144/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520375162&... If so, now I just need to decide which color I want to get first to make a test sling out of before investing in a bunch more colors.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:10pm by Drakolith »  

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 5:48pm

i have several long pieces of bright multi colored dacron and it is all about as thick as thick thread.  i am thinking about braiding it into a sling and using it for dominating slinging competitions...making slinging colorful one thread at a time, man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)