Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
making a new, updated rock carrying pouch...to replace the old one (Read 2391 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

making a new, updated rock carrying pouch...to replace the old one
Feb 26th, 2018 at 9:31pm

black, leather...4 to 4.5 inches long, 3 to 3.5 inches deep, and a filled up, overall thickness of about 3 inches.  the top will flip over from the outer side(side furthest from the body) of the pouch and fasten by magnets to the inner side(side closest to the body).  and of course it will be re-enforced on the sides to make them push open when the top is unsecured...that coupled with the way it will open to the outside and hang over, will ensure it stays open when in use. while the strong magnets will keep it securely closed when needed. taking one long piece of leather 4 inches wide and 'u' shape it, sewing in the re-enforced sides.  of course there will probably be decorative lacing running around the edges of the closing flap. and mouth of the pouch, but other than that i do not want any flash or bling on it...idk, maybe a stamp into the leather of some kind on the outside in the middle of it might be cool.  i am starting this project now, and will keep you updated.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: making a new, updated rock carrying pouch...to replace the old one
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:15am

Any chance of getting pictures? Ive been thinking of making a pouch too. Some kind of upgrade to my army haversack

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:10am

I've been using an old Hungarian gas mask bag for rocks and then a drop leg dump pouch for tennis balls. I posted about it here:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1496762002/9#9

A nice handcrafted bag would be good to have and I am slowly making with nålbinding but I'll need to see how strong it is once it's finished before I decide to use it for slinging. Do post pictures of the process if you're able.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:32pm

hey that is a neat idea you came up with.  it is a lil big for my taste, but would work.  i'm wanting one that does not bounce around much if i must step up the pace and run while wearing it...that is kind of in the design i am putting together.  it has to be easily and quietly opened and closed with one hand, stable, stay open when needed to be,  closed when needed to be, strong and not too big but big enough to put a hand to retrieve a stone in without issues..

'if i can' i will try to purchase a cheap digital camera and post some pics.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:42pm

Fanny pack

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:42pm

a fanny pack is what i use to carry my black powder supplies in(im really big into muzzleloaders, make my own black powder,  charcoal for my powder, cast my own shot and everything)...it works great for that.  but with this, i am in the mood to make something, to try be creative..lol   
i want this customized, but a strap in it like a fanny would not be a bad idea.  i will have to give it thought if i want to go that way or just make it to where it attaches to my belt.  good suggestion.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 6:44am

Might wanna look at some drop leg bags/holster bags.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 4:56pm

yeah, that may prove a lil too large for a hunting rock carrying pouch...though i have been thinking about just making a fully equipped batman utility belt ...and calling it done

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 6:12pm

this project has begun. i have decided to do a trial run on old pioeces before doing the real one. the pieces are cut out, partially holed and ready to sew..will keep u updated

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 2:38pm

I usually use a bolt bag.  Your belt loops through it or with the cheaper ones I use they just tie around your waist.  You can usually find cheaper ones than the one pictured at your hardware store. The ones I use generally cost only a buck or two.

BB.JPG (32 KB | 47 )
BB.JPG

IP Logged

ElykSenoj
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:17am

I been using a crown royal bag lol, cheap and effective.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 1:50pm

ElykSenoj wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:17am:
I been using a crown royal bag lol, cheap and effective.

Plus you get to drink the bottle of Crown Royal!

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 5:31pm

now that's a temptation.  Smiley  i have finished the prototype prelim bag.  i did each side with a different stitch to see which i preferred.  so that is decided.  also, it helped me decided on the whole bag style.  i have totally changed the design from the one i explained in the o.p.  now it is just going to be tubular, with a purse change type slit opening that overlaps by an half inch or so and no hardware (like magnets)added...with the new design it should be easy to access, keep the rocks secure even when running and look aesthetically pleasing. 
i was hesitant about doing a trial run, but now i see that is the best thing to do before any craft type project and it really helped to open me up to new ideas... Wink

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 11:40pm

ok so i broke protocol and defeated my whole purpose for doing a trial run model first, and deviated from the intended design and now it is looking slightly larger than i wanted it to...not to much, about 20 percent larger all around.  but i do have the top laid out and closure system figured out and decided on.  should be ready in a few days.  then i am aiming to make a glandes pouch and a slingshot carrying pouch that holds its own ammo with it.  so the batman utility belt is not sounding like a bad idea after all.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:30am

Would love to see pictures of the finished product Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)