Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ball Bearing Ammo (Read 2049 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Ball Bearing Ammo
Feb 26th, 2018 at 2:03pm

I got a 2 inch ball bearing a little while ago to use for ammo and boy is it fun. It's absolutely devastating and is basically a cannonball. I love having it in the arsenal but it's real heavy and only fits and can be used with some of my slings, so I've now ordered some smaller ones to test out. 35cm and 25cm diameter steel balls are on the way and I can't wait to have a go with them Cheesy I'll probably be testing them on the metal pan but I already know metal ammo does serious damage so I'm looking now at getting my accuracy with them up. I have been looking at making clay and concrete ammo but it keeps coming down to having to source the materials, being a fair bit of work and it being a lot of mess. Ready-made steel balls are that bit easier Wink

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: Ball Bearing Ammo
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:14am

...and that's why I love my giant ball bearing Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:27pm

Wow your guys shoulders are in better shape than mine , I'll stick to around the 200g limit.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 3:00am

I've been throwing 300g right up to 500g rocks almost since I started just because I found big rocks easier to "feel" in the sling which helped with accuracy. I am slowly reducing the weight mostly because I've been making and receiving slings with smaller pouches and I've done a lot of slinging with tennis balls.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:06am

Kick wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 3:00am:
I've been throwing 300g right up to 500g rocks almost since I started just because I found big rocks easier to "feel" in the sling which helped with accuracy. I am slowly reducing the weight mostly because I've been making and receiving slings with smaller pouches and I've done a lot of slinging with tennis balls.

I love to throw similar rocks against an old wall for the massive splatter, but I can't throw too many or my joints will get sore (never stand to close either, richochets can go very fast and far, all kinds of directions. I always wear regular glasses either way. If I didn't, I would even wear safety glasses if am throwing rocks against a rock wall from 15 meters or less)

I've yet to throw steel ball bearings, but I think an Aussie style split pouch will do great for it.  What type of sling are you using to throw the bearings?

jlasud wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 4:54pm:

That's very fast for such heavy ammo. Very nice form as well

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 8:34am

I've used an Aussie style mostly but also the first sling I made from a slingshot pouch (one if those large ones they have on Barnett slingshots and the like) and two lengths of paracord. I was amazed it didn't slip out of that one because it's just a flat piece of leather but it did fine.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:47am

They've arrived!

The 35mm one weighs 177g and the 25mm one weighs 64g. The original 2 inch diameter one weighs 536g. The weather is finally turning and winter is on the retreat so hopefully pretty soon I'll get the chance to test them out Cheesy

IP Logged

ghatotkacha
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 12:56pm

wow cool, looking forward to a new video with 25mm and 35mm ones.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 7:45am

Ah... Well... The 2 inch one and the 35mm one may have perhaps been temporarily misplaced in the snow at the summer cottage...

Have to wait a few weeks and see if they turn up :/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)