Send Topic Print
Back in the Day (Read 1130 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Back in the Day
Feb 20th, 2018 at 4:12am

When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell back in the mid '70s we had two MP companies, the 553rd and the 101st. The 553rd was strickly for garrison duty. The 101st MP Co., which was my unit,  split its time between garrison duty and infantry support. We were the grunt MPs.
     Our primary duties were such things as traffic and prisoner control, but we were also expected to be able to fight along side of the infantry when ever needed. Consequently we often trained with them.
     Being infantry support we were lightly armed. We had no mortars, heavy machine guns, etc.. Most of our people had M-16s with M-203 gredade launchers. Because we were MPs we all had the benefit of having sidearms. Our females carried 38 revolvers  (girls guns... ugh) and the guys carried the Colt 45 M-1911. I can think of no side arm I'd rather carry. It was reassuring having such a capable back up weapon.
    Our platoon did have a little extra fire power. We had an old WWII style bazooka. Though obsolete against a modern main battle tank, it would take out just about anything else. We were glad to have it.
    We also had an M-60 machine gun. That was my weapon. For a 24 lb package it put an amazing amount of fire power in the hands of a single soldier. Though supposedly a crew served weapon I had no problem handling it by myself. The only time i ever had an assistant was when i was in a fixed position guarding a perimeter. The M-60 would shoot big 7.62 rounds downrange to the tune of 650 rounds per minute. It has a muzzle velocity of 2800 ft/sec and an effective range of 1200 yards. Though much heavier to hump than an M-16 I never minded its 24 lbs.
    All of this has absolutely nothing to do with anything but hopefully someone found it interesting.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2018 at 11:43pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Back in the Day
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:30am

Very interesting. Were you guys issued hearing protection back then?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:40am

Jack Reacher was also 101st MP. Pretty good series by Lee Child.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:12am

You paint a good picture. 24lbs for just your weapon is no joke. You must have been in good shape.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:13pm

I bet soldiers are hankering for exosuits to support the lower back (Once battery issues and are solved et cetera). I imagine soldiers are going to love them in the future.

11 kilograms for a m60 alone is heavy, but I imagine that the ammunition required for sustained fire would be pretty damned heavy too. Then you have all the other bits like rations, water et cetera.

With some of the configurations issued to active military personnel today you can certainly see how it can do significant damage to soldiers backs in the future. Combining all the weapons and ammuntion plus essentials with the addition of possibly ceramic or metal plate inserts and kevlar garments depending on situation...  Shocked

Of course, some of those inserts can stop several 7.62x51mm rounds, so I imagine there is some love for them despite the weight.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 11:41pm

There was no hearing protection back then.  I was in OK shape.  I never remember the weight of the M-60 being a burden. This was also before Kevlar helmets.  We still wore the old eight pound steel pots.  You got used to them eventually.  Exosuits were beyond the realm of reality in the 70s. 
   I'll have to check that out, Walter.
   My back was never as good after the army, Jackinati. Rather than from humping heavy loads most of the damage, I believe, was from occasionally sleeping on the cold ground, in mud puddles, etc.. 

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:58am

Steel pots weighed 2.8 pounds, including the liner and cover.  PAGST helmet weighed 3.1 pounds for an extra small to 4.5 pounds for an extra large.  Most people wore a medium which was over three pounds.

Plus, the PAGST was supposed to be level 111A and able to stop a rifle bullet.  (It wasn't.  They made the first 1 million+ wrong.  They still issued them, anyways.)  It also had the nice little side effect of focusing the blast wave on the back of the brain if you were facing an explosion, giving the wearer TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury from relatively small explosions... Other than that, it was way more uncomfortable than the steel helmet because the lining was really poorly designed.  Most people ended up adding stuff to the lining to keep the top of the harness from digging in.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:03pm

You are correct, Bill.  Strange. Everywhere I served it was always referred to as the 8lb steel pot.  Basic Training, AIT, and both of my duty stations. I wonder what was up with that?  What ever.  Thanks for enlightening me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)