Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throwing the Darn Thing (Read 6193 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Throwing the Darn Thing
Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 5:51pm

Kick wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 8:16am:
I think a good example of how the names are so interchangeable is RS who seems to have an entirely different slinging vocabulary to the rest of us Cheesy

yes...yalll talk funny.   Tongue

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:21pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 7:40am:

that particular one was used often.  if a person was right handed, the ammo. bag would be on the left.  which after release, the thrower could make the sling wrap around him, having his ammo pouch attached to the left side, his sling pouch ended up right beside it, so he/she could reload with one hand while getting the release node with the other and when done, is in position to do the same sling again....there used to be a roman tale about an elite squadron who would use the non dominant hand for the same manuever so they could hold a short sword in the dominant hand...they had 3 seconds to reload and refire if no sword in hand, 5 if they were holding it.  when i was lil i had no sword so would try to hold a stick while doing the reloading to copy the story...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 7:18am

and there you go again.
'a roman tale'.
weirdly, one that not even our professional historians have ever heard of.
Either you have access to texts nobody else in the world has - or you're just making it all up.

It's actually a lot quicker and easier to reload with pouch on the same side as the sling.   

Also if the sling wraps round your body, you've done it all wrong. You have no arm extension and there's been no follow through for the throw, so you've definitely missed and you haven't thrown very far anyway.

With a helicopter style, you can reload with your off hand, but with fig 8 it's quicker and easier to use the same side as the sling. As that's the side the sling will end up.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 2:38pm

So when using a rotor, does the executed throw have to be  timed with the rotor (as in the cords reach a certain apex and then you can do the overhand or sidearm throw), or can it be done at any time (or in other words, does it really matter that much)?

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 9:24pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 6th, 2018 at 7:18am:
a [quote]nd there you go again.
'a roman tale'.
weirdly, one that not even our professional historians have ever heard of.
Either you have access to texts nobody else in the world has

yes...matter of fact we did.
Quote:
or you're just making it all up.

sure, lying to impress and get attention from u is just my sort of thing, man... Roll Eyes

Quote:
It's actually a lot quicker and easier to reload with pouch on the same side as the sling.   

Also if the sling wraps round your body, you've done it all wrong. You have no arm extension and there's been no follow through for the throw, so you've definitely missed and you haven't thrown very far anyway.

With a helicopter style, you can reload with your off hand, but with fig 8 it's quicker and easier to use the same side as the sling. As that's the side the sling will end up.

not even close, sir. ...when the projectile is released it is a simple turn of the wrist, the sling wraps around...is grabbed by the other hand loaded in one motion while the release is being grabbed by the right and it is done, and it leaves the slinger in proper position to sling again....they even had a cadence....

"down, together, sling" (roughly translated) for the three second throw

and:
"down, together, loaded, sling" for the five second throw.

as far as faster on the sling side?  not even close...and how u can even imagine that is beyond me... Wink

sounds like a competition is in order...

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 9:26pm

Quote:
You have no arm extension and there's been no follow through for the throw, so you've definitely missed and you haven't thrown very far anyway.

, it is a side arm, so with follow through and wrist, it does just perfect.  so if u are not doing it side arm it is not being done correctly,  and ur distance is suffering and prolly accuracy too. 

now that i have taught u how to do it, i hope u will give it a try and i am sure  with practice u become a better slinger. Smiley

but  i will spare u the rest of the roman's story, though it is a good one...just know they went the way of all the great slingers except for a very small few.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:20pm

Funditor406 wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
So when using a rotor, does the executed throw have to be  timed with the rotor (as in the cords reach a certain apex and then you can do the overhand or sidearm throw), or can it be done at any time (or in other words, does it really matter that much)?

imo, it depends on which direction u want it to go....it is the one throw that once mastered can throw in any direction if u get the release timed right. i personally have found that just what many refer to as the greek style is all that is needed and only a little more power, if any, is developed from repeated rotations.  now that that is said....here is what the over head can do.  note the discussion c.a. and i have just had above about the figure 8 and what was said concerning the helicopter.....here he and i agree:

Quote:
With a helicopter style, you can reload with your off hand

yes, and with practice, u will be able to get to where u can do the overhead, fire while simultaneously reaching with ur other hand and retrieving and lifting a projectile, bring the sling on around after release, holding up the reload, hitting the ammo with the sling pouch causing the sling to fold, catch the release node and go again...repeatedly.

i know a couple of people who can do that lil trick real good.  i'm not as good as them with it, but have pulled it off a time or two.  anyone can do it with a lot of practice...

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 2:56am

Ich hoffe mal das mein Übersetzer gut gearbeitet hat. Schnelles schießen geht am besten wenn ihre Munition gegenüber greifbar ist. Ist die Sling rechts, dann tragen sie die Munition links. Ist die Sling links, dann tragen sie die Munition rechts. So geht das laden am schnellsten und sie bleiben in einer stabilen aber sehr dynamischen Bewegung.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvW9M7PG9Vo

Schwieriger wird es, wenn sie ein Schild zur Deckung benutzen. Es gibt viele historische Bilder. Jetzt tragen sie die Munition auf der selben Seite wie die Sling.  Sie sind aber deutlich langsamer mit dieser Methode. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7JORFOXqU
Auf der Trajan Säule gibt es Bilder. Sie zeigen das tragen der Munition im Mantel. Gleichzeitig wird ein Schild gehalten. Dies ist im Kampf nicht möglich.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 3:22pm

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 2:56am:
Ich hoffe mal das mein Übersetzer gut gearbeitet hat. Schnelles schießen geht am besten wenn ihre Munition gegenüber greifbar ist. Ist die Sling rechts, dann tragen sie die Munition links. Ist die Sling links, dann tragen sie die Munition rechts. So geht das laden am schnellsten und sie bleiben in einer stabilen aber sehr dynamischen Bewegung.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvW9M7PG9Vo

Schwieriger wird es, wenn sie ein Schild zur Deckung benutzen. Es gibt viele historische Bilder. Jetzt tragen sie die Munition auf der selben Seite wie die Sling.  Sie sind aber deutlich langsamer mit dieser Methode. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7JORFOXqU
Auf der Trajan Säule gibt es Bilder. Sie zeigen das tragen der Munition im Mantel. Gleichzeitig wird ein Schild gehalten. Dies ist im Kampf nicht möglich. 

@Jaegoor Google Translate makes it very easy to understand you  Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 3:04pm

one of these days I am going to have to try loading left handed.

The problem is jaegoor makes it look easy.
It's not Smiley

That's what you get if you practice nearly every day.
And are a bit obsessed with slinging whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)