Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
judas maccabeus and an army of slingers? (Read 1124 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

judas maccabeus and an army of slingers?
Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:51pm

just studying some of the battles in the book of 1 maccabees, and read some things that make me wonder if judas maccabeus was a slinger who led an army of slingers.  from the lopsided numbers in some of the battless he won even though he was so outnumbered, and some of the wording it makes me think perhaps so....

2:33And they said unto them, Let that which ye have done hitherto suffice; come forth, and do according to the commandment of the king, and ye shall live.
34But they said, We will not come forth, neither will we do the king's commandment, to profane the sabbath day.

35So then they gave them the battle with all speed.

36Howbeit they answered them not, neither cast they a stone at them, nor stopped the places where they lay hid;

37But said, Let us die all in our innocency: heaven and earth will testify for us, that ye put us to death wrongfully

this group of his followers died rather than fight on their special day, but note how they would not cast a stone.

10:69Then Demetrius made Apollonius the governor of Celosyria his general, who gathered together a great host, and camped in Jamnia, and sent unto Jonathan the high priest, saying,
70Thou alone liftest up thyself against us, and I am laughed to scorn for thy sake, and reproached: and why dost thou vaunt thy power against us in the mountains?
71Now therefore, if thou trustest in thine own strength, come down to us into the plain field, and there let us try the matter together: for with me is the power of the cities.
72Ask and learn who I am, and the rest that take our part, and they shall tell thee that thy foot is not able to to flight in their own land.
73Wherefore now thou shalt not be able to abide the horsemen and so great a power in the plain, where is neither stone nor flint, nor place to flee unto.

now this could be referring to  a place with sure footing for soldier and beast, but then it could be a reference to judas' army's slinging ability...or both??

in other places it talks about macccabeus' army beating down/back the enemies, which is a termed used in ecclesiacticus 47:4  Slew he not a giant, when he was yet but young? and did he not take away reproach from the people, when he lifted up his hand with the stone in the sling, and beat down the boasting of Goliath?

but i found in other old writings where they used that type of wording for beating back with the sword as well...

just curious to know if anyone else knows more about their history that could shed light on this?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: judas maccabeus and an army of slingers?
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:09am

certainly plenty of slinging references.

But what god would rather people died and he lost followers, than have them defenc themselves - even if it is a holy day.

People are often daft Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: judas maccabeus and an army of slingers?
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:18pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:09am:
certainly plenty of slinging references.

But what god would rather people died and he lost followers, than have them defenc themselves - even if it is a holy day.

People are often daft Smiley

yes they certainly can be.  in study i found out years ago that there were more bylaws written regarding the sabbath day and what it is that constitutes work then any other law they had.  pretty much anything done on that day is, by the religious leadership, considered work...even walking if there is no need to.  so whatever the god they followed said was one thing, the pile of regulations they themselves piled on it is another.

but yes, in the final battle judas allowed himself to be sandwiched.  but it was ridiculous odds, like the enemy had 22000 and he had 800 or something like that, attacked their strongest flank, "beat it back" and while doing so the weaker flank of the enemy flowed like water behind him and he was trapped, captured and later executed

but what was cool, was reading a letter in the book of 1 maccabees in which a king of sparta wrote the jews a letter and in it said they were kinsmen, as both the jews and spartans can trace their lineage back to abraham through matriarchal lines.(just thought that was interesting)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)