Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modesty Blaise (Read 1409 times)
Shale

Canada
Modesty Blaise
Feb 4th, 2018 at 2:38pm

Modesty Blaise is a British comic strip that started in 1963. A came across a segment in which a character uses a sling:

http://bookpalace.com/acatalog/info-Wright4888.html

The sling is very short and definitely should not be used helicopter style. I also don't know why the slinger is using a gland moulded of wax and sand around a lead core. But it's pretty cool that they have a slinger at all.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Modesty Blaise
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 3:08pm

That's really interesting. Where did they get "sand and wax around a lead core"? That seems really specific but also really bizarre.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:14pm

I wondered about that as well. Perhaps the covering is supposed to make the shot non-lethal. Of course, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but the readers might not know that. But why wax and sand instead of just wax?

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:49am

The only thing I can think of is that with casting metal, you can use sand and wax to form the mold so maybe the author got those things confused?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:24pm

I have made a sling very similar in size for throwing marbles and you wouldn't believe how far and hard it hits for its size, and helicopter style works perfect for it

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:41am

I've read all the modesty blaise books - many times.

Peter o'Donnell is probably the best character writer in  the english language since dickens.
The books are all fantastic. Unfortunately the comic strips are much better known, so he never got the accliam he should have had as a novelist.

Willie garvin uses an improvised sling a couple of times as I recall.
In one book he also uses a pelota cradle to throw grenades.

Sand and wax would make a great glande, designed to knock someone out rather than outright kill. 
Kinda like jaegoors rusty balls (lol any excuse to trot that phrase out whistle )

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:12pm

we used to modify old ladies head scarves to make those.  you know the silky ones that are so thin they are almost see through and a large square, like a big bandana.  there is a way to fold them that stays when the holding corners are knotted down right.  works great at close range.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)