Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tibetan Slinging (Read 1596 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Tibetan Slinging
Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:20am

So I've been trying out the Amdo craft Tibetan sling I got through the SITH and I've been having great fun chucking snowballs. I've been using this throwing technique (well I guess it's just to start the throw) that I learned from this video from David Morningstar from one of the competitions in Mallorca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGmnXHQxi0E

I was wondering, does anyone know if this way of starting off with the sling behind your back with the pouch in the left hand and rolling it around your shoulders is a particularly Tibetan style? Is it used elsewhere? I've found it to be perfect for long slings and getting them up to speed very quickly and really makes throwing with them easier.

I'll attach a video of my attempt at it in a little bit.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Tibetan Slinging
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:23am

Video courtesy of girlfriend Cheesy

VID_20180131_135611.mp4 (7684 KB | 72 )

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 9:41am

It seems that the 'sling-across-the-shoulder' style also exists with Polynesian slingers.

There is a 19th century depiction of a Frenchman who went 'tribal' and he is shown with a sling perched across the shoulder in a similar manner.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:13am

Interesting. Do you have a link to the picture?

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:36am

No, but I do have a link with a description of the Polynesian slinging technique.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1223738599

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:49am

Thanks this sounds basically exactly the same which is really interesting. I guess this isn't the first time there's been convergent evolution when it comes to sling technology and technique but it's cool to see.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 5:29pm

Kick wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:49am:
Thanks this sounds basically exactly the same which is really interesting. I guess this isn't the first time there's been convergent evolution when it comes to sling technology and technique but it's cool to see.

I agree. I spent a good 30 mins trying to find a certain video on youtube that illustrates this. It's an old video of an Inuit boy using a sling in the Apache style. It's the only example I know of, of a Native American actually using the style spoken of by the author of the article.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:24pm

I remember that video...

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDzpOkj8IvU

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 3:18am

Great video. Interesting to see how sound design has improved as well Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:19am

IronGoober wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:24pm:
I remember that video...

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDzpOkj8IvU

Thanks IG.  Cheesy

I looked all over for that one. You know looking at it again, that sling is huge for his body size. You would think it would be hard to do the Apache style with it. But it works pretty well for him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)