Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
the pouch and the cork. (Read 2217 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

the pouch and the cork.
Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:25pm

it is common knowledge that slingers back in the day wore a pouch with a couple of things in them.  usually it was a couple extra slings of different sizes, some extra cordage and a piece of cork.  it was said that the reason for the extra cork was secret and the usual response to being asked about it was they may need it to cork off some wine if they lose the cork that came with it.  but in real life it served to keep the fingers from being rubbed raw.  all slingers carried a knife of some sort, and would peel off a thin piece of cork and place it between the loop and their finger.  it would not slide when the loop was tightened down and kept the string in place while protecting the finger from being rubbed sore.

the legend taught that if you were a slinger and along came a renowned master slinger that for whatever reason that seemed good to him, decided to take you for an apprentice, he would sling his cork and hit you in the head or somewhere with it. that was your one chance. and he would either walk or trot off and you were expected to right then, leave everything(wife, kids, parents, job, house), and get his cork and chase him down to give it back to him.  if you did so you accepted his offer to be his apprentice slinger.  if not then he'd never acknowledge you again.

cork served other purposes as well like when dealing with penetrating sling ammo wounds.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: the pouch and the cork.
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 8:59pm

Interesting, where did you get all this information? I’ve never heard of the cork or legend before. But I am in no way the expert on sling history, though I’d like to be.  Grin

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 9:42pm

i met a man when i was a kid who had some info and stories about slingers and slings.  i am going off of memory for the most part.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 2:08am

Was für eine Geschichte . Mehr ist es aber nicht. Ich habe davon noch nie gehört. Für mich macht diese Geschichte wenig Sinn.
Ein wunder Finger ist bei Anfängern häufig. Meist liegt es am Slinger selbst. Es passiert immer dann, wenn die Kraft nicht gleichmäßig übertragen wird. Zuviel Power aus Schulter und Hand. Zu wenig Bewegung aus der Hüfte.
Ist ihr "auge" an der Sling zu eng , können sie sich ebenfalls verletzen. Ich bevorzuge eine lose, sehr lockere Verbindung zum Finger.  Ich verletze mich nie. Und ich schieße sehr häufig. Ich experimentierte mit sehr engen Verbindungen zum Finger . Ich war nie zufrieden damit. Mein Finger war häufig verletzt.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:15am

This man you met - was it in a pub, by any chance ?

A leather lined or leather finger loop - pretty much stops any rubbing.

Don't get me wrong, the whole blood soaked sling and cork slinging are good stories. But I suspect that's all they are.

Over the years, we've seen most of the historical references to slingers round here - neither of those stories has ever turned up in one.

So what else did this chap tell you ?
If nothing else, they're entertaining stories Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:00am

I've heard of some interesting ways to stop a sucking chest wound but a cork is a new one for me.

RS, did you ever have a chance to see this person sling? I've heard of a few stories about master slingers from different parts of the world. I would love to hear your experience of this guy.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 5:59pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:15am:
This man you met - was it in a pub, by any chance ?

A leather lined or leather finger loop - pretty much stops any rubbing.

Don't get me wrong, the whole blood soaked sling and cork slinging are good stories. But I suspect that's all they are.

Over the years, we've seen most of the historical references to slingers round here - neither of those stories has ever turned up in one.

So what else did this chap tell you ?
If nothing else, they're entertaining stories Thumbs Up

i am glad you said that.  no, i was five or six so i did not patron pubs at that age... Grin  but as far as today's references, from what i was taught they are not so helpful because most of the slinging info was destroyed long ago especially across europe, northern africa and north western asia....that part i remember well because it was so cool and full of violence and to a kid, that is what makes a good story...
now, a leather piece  will work for rawness prevention, i have had a few of those loose fitting slings and they are good for throwing a rock in the direction you wish for it to go, but pinpoint accuracy cannot be consistently achieved by that; i am almost fifty and have used and played with slings since i was not more than a toddler.  quiet frankly and in all modesty i have watch videos of competitions from around the world..some can throw and hit a large target with the black disc in the middle, sometimes, but finding the wiggle and having a taut fitting loop is key to accuracy improvement..  that is where the cork helps greatly. tbh, i have seen nothing in the competitions online that can touch some of the slingers i have witnessed among the cumberland gab, tenn. area, melungeon people...not even the same sport.
but back to the stories and references.  he had a couple from different parts of europe written that even blamed slingers for the advent of the dark ages.  it was told there was a concerted effort to try to wipe out most slinger references in their parts of the world during their times and even removed "slingers, sling, slinging' from many stories and replaced with them 'archers'(one really famous one about a crossbowman, from the 1200 to 1300's and was not written until a century and a half to two centuries later actually has some detractors who say it was a sling and not a crossbow he used and they maintain his lifestyle as a mountain climber supports that)...i have read almost all the references known today.  they offer little help or insight and makes me think that only supports the teaching i received about the 'slinger cleansing".

however munster's rebellion is a fun little study if you can find indepth info on it and how the preacher man was ignorant of the message he received about slingstones.   had he known some of the slinger stories i heard as a child, like the one about 'andrea the **g' as he billed himself, he'd not have misunderstood on that message....(andrea kept little rocks hid in his shirt cuffs)

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:28pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:00am:
I've heard of some interesting ways to stop a sucking chest wound but a cork is a new one for me.

RS, did you ever have a chance to see this person sling? I've heard of a few stories about master slingers from different parts of the world. I would love to hear your experience of this guy.

oh yes all the time ...  he eventually started to babysit me two or three days a week for free because we'd work on slings together.  i told some of that story in the intro. section.    he was a good slinger but not among the best.  he was an archeologist and historian.  once he had people from across the pond come over and we all did some slinging in his back yard.  a couple of them were supposed to be champions of some sort or another at it.   i do remember well one of the men was a greek or from an island close to there and a decent slinger.   as far as the cork goes, they gave other uses for it too but i cannot remember them.  and gave nothing indepth as to how they treated wounds with them that i can recall.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:10pm

Ahh, so the guy with the 6 pack of beer was this same gentleman then?

that is where the cork helps greatly. tbh, i have seen nothing in the competitions online that can touch some of the slingers i have witnessed among the cumberland gab, tenn. area, melungeon people...not even the same sport.

I have a feeling this is going to receive a few comments.  Grin

Personally I want to believe this, even though this being the internet you have to be quite skeptical at times. I don't want to believe it because I don't think the Balearic slingers are excellent, because they are, but more because I do personally believe, based on my own experience, that the sling is capable or even more. And seeing people use it to its fullest potential would be amazing.

I've mentioned this story several times but my closest tie to this type of accuracy is through my wife's cousin who served in the military in Iraq. One day, after seeing me sling, he casually mentioned to my wife how he had seen a slinger while over there who could hit birds out of the air with enough consistency to keep himself fed. I know this man, and he has never struck me as someone who would create such a story out of thin air. So that, and my own experience keeps me thinking we have not reached the limit of sling accuracy by a long shot.

Any personal experiences you can give on these slingers you're talking about from the Cumberland gap area would be much appreciated.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 9:38pm

no, i met the sling maker because of him.  after a while he started watching me instead because we were going to go into the byzantine sling making business...he watched me on his days he could for free.  i loved that old guy. (though he wasn't old he just seemed to me back then.)

i understand the skepticism, which is why i waited until this year to post on here.

well, several i know are pretty good, but understand you cannot just walk into Melungeon territory...i stayed with them a lot until i was four years old.   

as to the other about a slings full potential, in some of the old myths(and these particular ones can be classified as that, imo) i heard, which told of  old tales passed to the authors of the middle ages from back in the 'old world'(the authors said they were passed down pre flood stories, if you believe that type of thing) but anyway it was said by them that waaaay back in the day when men supposedly live hundreds of years, said that is took thirty years to fully master a sling. and some of the things they are fabled to have done with them...just wow.  so those few in particular are just tales.  but they do kind of make one thing that a sling is much more than anyone these days knows about yet.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:17am

Es gibt unzählige Mythen und Geschichten. Die meisten halten einer Überprüfung nicht stand. Vögel zu jagen ist nicht so schwierig. Das schaffe ich auch. Ein statisches  Ziel kontinuierlich zu treffen ist ebenfalls nicht einfach. Die Schwierigkeit liegt in der ständigen wiederholbarkeit einer exakten Bewegung.  Diese Art von Perfektion muss man mögen .
Ich las von einem alten Schäfer.  Dieser konnte eine dose in der Luft treffen. Die dose warf er selbst. Zunächst war ich sehr ungläubig.  Doch ich versuchte es. Vergessen sie alle Stile. Egal ob Balearic , Figur 8 oder was auch immer. Üben sie sich in Entschlossenheit und tun sie es. Heute treffe ich auch eine dose in der Luft und ich werfe sie auch selbst. Und meine Schlaufe für denn Finger ist sehr locker dabei. Für mich arbeitet eine enge Schlaufe nicht.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:26am

Es gibt eine sehr einfache Formel für denn Erfolg .Ich lernte sie ebenfalls von einem alten Meister . Sie ist sehr einfach und leicht zu merken.
100000 x üben ist gut. 200000 x üben ist besser.  Wink
Vielleicht brauchen sie 30 Jahre . Vielleicht aber auch nicht.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:09am

"There are countless myths and stories. Most do not stand up to a review. Hunting birds is not that difficult. I can do that too. It is not easy to hit a static target continuously. The difficulty lies in the constant repeatability of an exact movement. You have to like that kind of perfection."

I could not agree more.

"I read about an old shepherd. This could hit a dose in the air. The box he threw himself. At first I was very incredulous. But I tried. Forget all styles. No matter if Balearic, figure 8 or whatever. Practice resoluteness and do it. Today I also meet a dose in the air and I throw them myself. And my loop for the fingers is very loose. For me, a tight loop does not work"

Maybe you could, but survival in real conditions is always more difficult than people think. I think if anyone here could it would be you. I have not practiced on moving, aerial targets so I'm pretty sure I would go hungry.  Wink

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:14pm

Morphy survial ist eine ganz eigene Geschichte.  Ich habe einiges gelernt. Bei der Armee und auch später.  Bei der Armee war das Training realistischer als mir lieb war. Einmal geriet ich mit einem Freund in große Not.  Er brach sich ein Bein. In Rumänien im Gebirge. Ein Bär besuchte unser Lager.  Ich dachte nicht das wir überleben.  Der Bär hatte aber nur Appetit auf unseren Tee.
Ich könnte mit einer Sling jagen. Verhungern würde ich nicht. Aber ich muss nicht jagen um zu essen. Jagen ist gefährlich. Nicht notwendig zum Überleben.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:29pm

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:14pm:
Morphy survial ist eine ganz eigene Geschichte.  Ich habe einiges gelernt. Bei der Armee und auch später.  Bei der Armee war das Training realistischer als mir lieb war. Einmal geriet ich mit einem Freund in große Not.  Er brach sich ein Bein. In Rumänien im Gebirge. Ein Bär besuchte unser Lager.  Ich dachte nicht das wir überleben.  Der Bär hatte aber nur Appetit auf unseren Tee.
Ich könnte mit einer Sling jagen. Verhungern würde ich nicht. Aber ich muss nicht jagen um zu essen. Jagen ist gefährlich. Nicht notwendig zum Überleben. 

Überleben ist ein Teamsport

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick)