Send Topic Print
hey (Read 8223 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: hey
Reply #15 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 5:10pm

Mersa wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:54am:
So Is this the turkey overhand?? ( I know the cords are twisted)

sir, that was not bad.  a little more wrist snap and ur power will increase.  it can be altered somewhat to increase power, if you bring your throwing hand down to almost shoulder level, beside of your shoulder and stand like throwing a baseball.  it takes a bit more tweaking with the left hand, and when you throw if u come off at a side arm, with your midsection twisting while your arm and wrist work together and you follow through with a step, pivoting on ur left foot....at ten to twelve yards, several of us with that alteration of it, can not only make our rocks shatter when they hit a tree, but even shards of rock will stick into the tree from time to time.   it is not a strength thing, i have pulled it off a few time and some others but one of the ones i have seen do it is a 5 feet tall, 100 lb (very pretty)Melungeon woman from cumberland gap (and though i have not witnessed it, rumor has it from those who say have that she can harvest fishes with a sling and a stone; i am being plural and singular specific in that)...it is all technique. 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:38am

RS wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:52pm:
well, no but u r right in that it does seem like some mountain spell binding....when i was a kid my mom found a drunk man who'd baby sit me for a six pack a day.  back then that was like less than two bucks.  she'd drop me off in the mornings and by mid morning he'd be drunk and tell me to go outside to play.  so during my first week at his house, i went out side and took out one of my shoestrings and made a noodle out of it and was walking around the neighborhood with a couple rocks. a man from his garage yelled out to me, he had a thick accent, some what turkish, i do believe.  he asked what i had and i told him a sling.  he walked over to me and asked to see how i knotted the string and noticed my shoestring was the sling and not in my shoe.  then he told me who and what he was.  he was an archeologist and historian, he spoke a couple languages...but most importantly, he was as slinger.  he was only in the area because of the sling type in discussion.  all that was known of it was legend, one statue with one, so that showed no details, but during a dig somewhere, one corner of a socket was found.  soon he found out that a picture existed of what was thought to be one in a library close to where i lived then, so he flew over to check it out because the library would not send the book and it was one they did not even allow to be checked out.  he saw it and it was a picture of an old drawing that had one in it.   he was the one who figured out, from the corner piece found and picture, how to form the sling.  it is said to be called the byzantine sling because they used it, but is supposed to be older that they were.  the grain has to flow right for it to pass muster.  in the old legends it is said that a sling master, if allowed to pick his own ammo for the job, could be blindfolded, have a loaded sling placed on his fingers, throw with it and tell you from the feel of the rock leaving the socket if the grain was running right in the direction or not.  so it is more of an eastern european, northwestern asian thing.

That's really cool. Do you have any pictures of one of these slings?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:54pm

Kick wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:38am:
[quote author=3130630 link=1517174584/14#14 date=1517349165]

That's really cool. Do you have any pictures of one of these slings?

no but after my birthday towards the end of this year i am supposed to be getting the one i made back.(yes it is more than folk lore, i have actually made one and worked on a couple others)  if by then i can post a pic i will show it or if u live close when we get it perhaps you can see it live. it is worth it.   there is no other sling like those.  they cannot be made in a week or two.  it takes over a month for a novice.  the sheriff's office where i lived as a kid ended up with mine. Wink  they had it for a few decades.   i heard someone tried to undo part of it some of it to see how it was made, like four feet of it, but that should be fixable. i am to get all that is coming to me after my 50th birthday this year.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:00pm

ps. i did get to see it year before last year.  it was intact then so the undoing was done since.  a policeman who i went to school with had it shown to me..  i am not supposed to talk about why i lost it, but after it is given back i should be able to tell the story....it is a bloody one too.

(i edited this to remove a name i dropped of the cop...)

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 3:09am

Well I'm in Helsinki so I think I'll have to wait for a picture... Looking forward to it Smiley

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:15am

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:04am

Looking forward to seeing it RS. And hearing the story that goes along with it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:14pm

RS wrote on Jan 29th, 2018 at 8:38pm:
i'd love to be able to show it to you.  it is hard to understand via written insruction.  i can explain it or try to, and come the end of the year perhaps can even put some video of it up for you guys.  i technically have to be cautious about that until around december for reasons i cannot go into but let me try to explain it.
  if you are right handed,twist ur left hand, palm under and away from you so that it's palm is facing left.  hold the sling in front of you, cup your left hand and with it still twisted, place the socket in it.  raise the sling up over our head and lower it behind you. at this point it should be diagonal across ur back, with ur right hand above ur right shoulder and ur left hand around ur left hip or bottom of rib cage.  raise ur right hand palm up and hold it high almost even with the top of ur head, and pull the other end snug with the left hand, raising it up slightly to make the sling barely bend at ur left elbow, but being kept taut. take care the sling is not twisted up....release with left hand and let the socket drop and swing behind you and then just over hand with popping wrist action.  it sounds more complicated than it is, but once understood it is a very accurate little toss that can generate some power when the full wrist action is properly utilized.  works great for turkey as, you can stand ready for long periods at a time by resting your throwing hand on your shoulder and when execute much of the motion is hidden behind the back.  lefties just switch it around the same way

I call that greek with a little pull.
It works well for heavier ammo.

So not quite a man in a pub. But close Smiley

I ever tell you the historical event related to me by an old slinger I met on chesil beach ?
Chesil beach is about 3 miles of perfect sling sized rocks. Well this old bloke told me it was created by the slingers from portland island (called slingers isle). They used to practice by slinging rocks from the island into the sea. After centuries of this practice they actually created chesil beach. The holes they created on the island were then put to use as quarries for portland stone - which is much sought after for building with.
The beach and land created by the slingers of portland eventually created a causeway that joined the island to the mainland.
You drive over it to get to portland to this very day. 

Gaze upon this beach created by slingers, and weep that it's not close to you.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chesil+Beach/@50.6266703,-2.5605472,3a,75y,3...

It's true I tell you.
And if it isn't, then it bloody well ought to be !
There is only one part of that tale that is not based on verifiable fact.
Here's a picture of a totally random part of chesil beach.
There are miles and miles of this a hundred yards wide.
Wasted on those bloody southerners !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:59am

Damn, those are good looking rocks.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:42am

Been there once with david morningstar and slingbadger on our roadtrip. Few years ago now.

Pretty sure that's when david's hair turned white and started to fall out - slingbadger's inability to turn left in a car, aged us all lol

Unfortunately it's over 200 miles from me around a 4.5 hour drive.
That's a long way in the uk - particularly at £1.20 for a litre of fuel.
So never been back. Sad 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #25 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:49am

Wow! Thanks for sharing, RS!

That Turkey throw reminds me of the statue of David by Michael Angelo!

And that blood ritual Byzantine sling sounds incredible!

So RS, you can sling with both left and right hand?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:05am

RS hasn't posted in a fair while now. Basically, he would come up with all sorts of tall tales and myths and legends and couldn't provide even one piece of evidence. No pictures, no videos, no books or authors or any sources whatsoever. He would always say "Oh well I can't tell you right now but once I have it all together I might be able to post something" "Oh I don't have a camera so you'll just have to believe me". Eventually he stopped posting because we could never take anything he said seriously. The only thing we did get was the Turkey Throw which is, in my opinion, a legitimately good sling style.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #27 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:28am

Any idea where he is located?

He when he said December, he meant this year?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #28 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:55am

Somewhere in the North East of the US I think.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #29 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 11:10am

Northeast? My brother just moved to Philadelphia!

May be I can go for Christmas.... Roll Eyes

RS? You still around?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)