Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
hey (Read 8124 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

hey
Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:23pm

hi, i am RS.  pleased to met you and to be here.  i've been slinging since childhood.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: hey
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:41pm

Slinging since childhood!! Post some pictures or videos

Welcome From downunder

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:50pm

well. i am kinda of handy with a noodle, but am not so computer oriented, and own no camera or cell phones.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 6:42am

Welcome from Finland!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:47am

Welcome RS from Texas. What kind of slings do you prefer? What style do you use? Sidearm, figure8 etc?

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 8:00pm

hi morphy,
i have used almost everything.  i like most of all of them.  my least fav. is what is called a 'tut' sling, and feel it is more for decoration than anything else.  as far as the best sling, imo, is a byzantine sling, but no one but like two people know anything at all about how to make them and one is very old.  the person who knew the most about them died in the 70's. it is taught that a person has to make five to completion while under instruction, before knowing how to make one by heart all the way through.  it is bloody work to make.  requires some superstition practices of blood and essence.   but all i use and my fav sling is just a piece of string, like 550 paracord, with two knots tied to make a socket.  that is all i usually carry and use.  i gave away most of my woven sockets and split cords...some i threw away because all i really use is a cord or string nowadays, with said knots in it, which around here in my lil circle is called a 'noodle'.  though slings were at one time commonly referred to as noodles, or so i was taught years ago.  but we just call the single string knotted types noodles around here.  they are easy to make, and easy to use with anything from pebbles to objects the size of my fist.
i use all throwing styles and really have no favorite, as what one uses as far as styles should depend on the immediate situation most of the time. though i do use the 'turkey hunter overhand'(is what it is called in the appalachian hills) a lot.  it was developed for hunting turkeys obviously and starts out by holding the sling behind ur back.  once mastered, it is an extremely accurate quickly performed throw..but when practicing, i sling with one style until tired then switch hands and use that same style until tired then go back to the other hand with another style so forth and so on. i use a figure eight that winds up behind the back, the greek, turkey hunter overhand, helicopter, byzantine and a whole lot of backhand.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 8:17pm

I want to see this turkey throw

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 8:30pm

Interesting. I second Mersa's comment.

So this Byzantine sling, is this an actual sling design the Byzantines used or is that just a slang term like the turkey hunter throw? You speak as if there is a community of slingers where you are? If you have a chance can you elaborate a little, I am very curious about several things you've mentioned. Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 8:38pm

i'd love to be able to show it to you.  it is hard to understand via written insruction.  i can explain it or try to, and come the end of the year perhaps can even put some video of it up for you guys.  i technically have to be cautious about that until around december for reasons i cannot go into but let me try to explain it.
  if you are right handed,twist ur left hand, palm under and away from you so that it's palm is facing left.  hold the sling in front of you, cup your left hand and with it still twisted, place the socket in it.  raise the sling up over our head and lower it behind you. at this point it should be diagonal across ur back, with ur right hand above ur right shoulder and ur left hand around ur left hip or bottom of rib cage.  raise ur right hand palm up and hold it high almost even with the top of ur head, and pull the other end snug with the left hand, raising it up slightly to make the sling barely bend at ur left elbow, but being kept taut. take care the sling is not twisted up....release with left hand and let the socket drop and swing behind you and then just over hand with popping wrist action.  it sounds more complicated than it is, but once understood it is a very accurate little toss that can generate some power when the full wrist action is properly utilized.  works great for turkey as, you can stand ready for long periods at a time by resting your throwing hand on your shoulder and when execute much of the motion is hidden behind the back.  lefties just switch it around the same way

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 9:04pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 29th, 2018 at 8:30pm:
Interesting. I second Mersa's comment.

So this Byzantine sling, is this an actual sling design the Byzantines used or is that just a slang term like the turkey hunter throw? You speak as if there is a community of slingers where you are? If you have a chance can you elaborate a little, I am very curious about several things you've mentioned. Thanks.  Smiley

it is a design.  it is made from one 'very' long piece of very thin string.  it was almost completely lost.  to my knowledge there are only two actual slings in existence and one other but it is not made quite right, but to a novice would pass as a byzantine. there may be one more but i am not sure. the handles are sort of a woven braid and the patch a special knot that works over on itself.  when being made by a person for themselves, you place a knife between the layers for two purposes.  one is to help keep things separated and organized, but the others is to cut ur fingers on so ur blood will  be worked into the string while making it.  the sling is so designed so if one makes one as a child, they can take more string and weave to the cords to make it longer as they growup, but it starts with just one piece of looong string that makes the socket and original cords.  after it is made, the maker, if it is for himself, has to bleed himself again and wash out the dried worked in blood with fresh blood then wash it all out in running water before it re-dries.  then once washed out and dried it is ready for use.   if someone makes it for another person, the knife mentioned above is replaced by something like a popcycle stick and the person who is paying to have it made, gives blood to soak said sling in, then let try for a week, then more to wash it out with as legend or superstition dictates you do not want another persons essence in your sling. it is a very large undertaking.  the only reason i know of it is because i accidentally met someone who taught me about it when i was very little.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 9:32pm

Interesting !!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:44am

So is that design and construction method native to the Applacians because that sounds like some proper Appalacian folk magic. Fascinating!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:54am

So Is this the turkey overhand?? ( I know the cords are twisted)

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 7:18am

That's how I imagined it from the description as well.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:52pm

Kick wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:44am:
So is that design and construction method native to the Applacians because that sounds like some proper Appalacian folk magic. Fascinating!

well, no but u r right in that it does seem like some mountain spell binding....when i was a kid my mom found a drunk man who'd baby sit me for a six pack a day.  back then that was like less than two bucks.  she'd drop me off in the mornings and by mid morning he'd be drunk and tell me to go outside to play.  so during my first week at his house, i went out side and took out one of my shoestrings and made a noodle out of it and was walking around the neighborhood with a couple rocks. a man from his garage yelled out to me, he had a thick accent, some what turkish, i do believe.  he asked what i had and i told him a sling.  he walked over to me and asked to see how i knotted the string and noticed my shoestring was the sling and not in my shoe.  then he told me who and what he was.  he was an archeologist and historian, he spoke a couple languages...but most importantly, he was as slinger.  he was only in the area because of the sling type in discussion.  all that was known of it was legend, one statue with one, so that showed no details, but during a dig somewhere, one corner of a socket was found.  soon he found out that a picture existed of what was thought to be one in a library close to where i lived then, so he flew over to check it out because the library would not send the book and it was one they did not even allow to be checked out.  he saw it and it was a picture of an old drawing that had one in it.   he was the one who figured out, from the corner piece found and picture, how to form the sling.  it is said to be called the byzantine sling because they used it, but is supposed to be older that they were.  the grain has to flow right for it to pass muster.  in the old legends it is said that a sling master, if allowed to pick his own ammo for the job, could be blindfolded, have a loaded sling placed on his fingers, throw with it and tell you from the feel of the rock leaving the socket if the grain was running right in the direction or not.  so it is more of an eastern european, northwestern asian thing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)