Sisal praise (Read 3465 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Sisal praise
Jan 25th, 2018 at 6:01pm

Well, it's taken me almost a year but I've finally finished THIS:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-2-5-Twine-Sisal-Ball/dp/B01IPLZR1M/ref=pd_sim...

That is a 2.5kg football sized ball of sisal containing ~750m of twine. If using 35m for each sling that's over 21 slings!

Since I've just used the last of it now, it seems a fitting time to reflect on it as probably my favourite natural material.

For me sisal has to be soaked in water to make nice feeling slings (though thinner slings can survive without). This completely removes any 'stiffness' from the cords leaving them remarkably pliable (I couldn't believe it first time I did it).

One potential problem is that soaking sisal can introduce an undesirable amount of stretch into the cords. To minimize this you can dry the sling under stretch, or wrap it round a cylinder tightly (I use a foam roller) I've found this significantly reduces stretch.

Sisal is famously rough on hands, so I also heavily recommend a leather lined fingerloop for maximum comfort.

What do you get for all this effort?

Well, your sling is not gonna break anytime fast for one. That's probably why I like it so much. Aside from general durability- If your sling is built for cracking sisal will outlast most natural fibres which disintegrate in no time at all.

Disadvantages-
-Your hands won't like you initially
-Only one colourscheme
-Slings can be a bit 'springy' I find it a nice feel but some might not

Time to order another football  Wink

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Sisal praise
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 3:41pm

I did not think of soaking it in water. I have a few sisal slings but after buying hemp I only use that. I like to throw good rocks with my hemp slings and jagged/dirty rocks with my sisal sling. They are indeed very durable

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 9:47am

There's a massive difference after soaking them. I've done it with my cotton string slings to help take out twists in the cords and it helps a bit but sisal is like a different material after it's soaked.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 11:55am

Does wetting Sissal help deal with the abrasiveness?

I don't want to get blisters on my hands again... at least not until I get calluses on my fingers.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:51pm

The sisal slings I've seen are all very nice looking. It has a unique look to it, both tough and supple. When I've used the cheap hardware store sisal it has a strange petroleum like smell and doesn't seem to get softer after soaking. Ive tried untwisting it to get nice long fibers to work with but it just ends up being a mess. I must be doing something wrong.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:55pm

The sisal string I've used seems to have been treated with something; after wetting it it smelt very strong and a bit of residue dripped off so that was a downside to using it.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 3:46pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
The sisal slings I've seen are all very nice looking. It has a unique look to it, both tough and supple. When I've used the cheap hardware store sisal it has a strange petroleum like smell and doesn't seem to get softer after soaking. Ive tried untwisting it to get nice long fibers to work with but it just ends up being a mess. I must be doing something wrong.

All my cordage has this smell, but sisal the most. I also tried untwisting it and using the fibres but like you it didnt work.
The cordage from hardware stores is processed in shady factories where the machine oil drips into it, at least that's what I read. The alternative would be ordering it from somewhere reputable or even harvesting yourself. But what I like to do is buy a lot of hemp, sisal when I get the chance and then store them somewhere dry and in the summer in the hot sun. After a year the smell is almost completely gone.

I am ordering a sling from Luis at the moment and I don't think their fibre is treated like that. I will see how his environmentally friendly sling compares to mine when I get it

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 7:42pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jan 27th, 2018 at 3:46pm:
Morphy wrote on Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:51pm:

All my cordage has this smell, but sisal the most. I also tried untwisting it and using the fibres but like you it didnt work.
The cordage from hardware stores is processed in shady factories where the machine oil drips into it, at least that's what I read. The alternative would be ordering it from somewhere reputable or even harvesting yourself. But what I like to do is buy a lot of hemp, sisal when I get the chance and then store them somewhere dry and in the summer in the hot sun. After a year the smell is almost completely gone.

I am ordering a sling from Luis at the moment and I don't think their fibre is treated like that. I will see how his environmentally friendly sling compares to mine when I get it

Interesting. That would not surprise me. I had been wondering if maybe it was some type of treatment added to preserve the fibers. But anyways, it's gross and doesnt make for a pleasant sling experience imo. I'm sure the "organic sling" (That's a thing right?) will be much better.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 9:50am

I went through Aurelio's tutorial on making an authentic Balearic sling, here they also soak it in water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO4ERyUXdYU

After seeing this I have a lot more respect for real Balearic sling makers. DAMN that is a lot of work. My simple 3-strand braid closed-pouch slings are nothing compared to this. This is on another level.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:49pm

The sisal I have has a weak smell to it, other cord has more so.

I believe they use some form of solvent to keep twine together generally. If you soak the cord through on it's own you can notice how it really loosens up and begins to unravel. You can still make slings with this but I prefer to soak after construction as it's easier and seems to have a greater effect. You can also just plain unravel the cords into fibre but that is a massive pain, I've tried it a couple of times and just give up eventually because there's lots of tangles and it makes a big mess, although the slings look very nice and clean if you stick with it.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 3:39pm

JudoP wrote on Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:49pm:
The sisal I have has a weak smell to it, other cord has more so.

I believe they use some form of solvent to keep twine together generally. If you soak the cord through on it's own you can notice how it really loosens up and begins to unravel. You can still make slings with this but I prefer to soak after construction as it's easier and seems to have a greater effect. You can also just plain unravel the cords into fibre but that is a massive pain, I've tried it a couple of times and just give up eventually because there's lots of tangles and it makes a big mess, although the slings look very nice and clean if you stick with it.

I made my first 5 strand-braid sisal sling today, so far my best imitation of a real Balearic sling yet. No leather or anything yet though. Right now it's soaking in water, I will post a pic tomorrow in the picture thread.

Solvent, oil or whatever, it's not a nice smelling chemical. Luckily my sisal stash is quite old and almost has zero smell anymore.

I would not even store the sisal I buy from hardware stores in the same room I live in as the volatile gasses from items like that add up and fill the room, can't be healthy if you spend so much time in the same room. The new sisal here really has as strong odor. But I am a bit paranoid when it comes to stuff like that.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 5:50am

After soaking my sisal sling in water overnight and letting it dry, it has become much more supple. Amazing
The cords now freely fall in whichever direction they want to go unlike before when it was more coarse and stiff, i.e. if you bent the cords in one direction it would stay there. Not anymore. I think sisal is now my new favorite sling material after this discovery.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 7:14am

It's amazing isn't it? I don't know the science behind it but there must be something going on.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 3:52pm

...And here is the new batch- weighing in at a little over 2 kg, with a pen to compare.

I think its a bit smaller than last time but I'm looking forwards to creating a whole new bunch of slings with it through 2018!

2018sisal.jpg (138 KB | 48 )
2018sisal.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 5:22pm

JudoP wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 3:52pm:
...And here is the new batch- weighing in at a little over 2 kg, with a pen to compare.

I think its a bit smaller than last time but I'm looking forwards to creating a whole new bunch of slings with it through 2018!

That's a lot of sisal right there. Do you still have most of your sisal slings JudoP? I was thinking it would be interesting to put them in chronological order and see your improvements over time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)