Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Finnish Puukko Knife Making (Read 3975 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Finnish Puukko Knife Making
Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:04pm

This random video came up in my Recommended feed on YouTube and it's one of the VERY few times it's actually found me something I would be interested in watching.

It's a documentary video from 1981 following the making of a Finnish Puukko. Really fascinating process and just shows the artistry and time put into these works of art. Not to spoil the ending but the knives are BEAUTIFUL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Finnish Puukko Knife Making
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 9:49pm

Nice.  Very painstaking work, and it's all free hand.  Very nice.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 6:03am

Check how gently he hammers the blade during the final stages of the forging.
Took me years to learn why and how that has to be done  Smiley

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 6:40am

You can really see they are masters at what they do. and the final product is flawless.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 8:27am

Beautiful work. I love watching master craftsman make things freehand. It seems almost impossible how perfect they make it. I really want one of those knives now lol.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 8:16pm

One familiar woman also has the making a tradition knifes.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 9:41am

In the comments of the video there are some links to similar knives that are still made relatively the same way but the prices, at least for me on my student budget, are a little high... I understand why of course, a lot of time and mastery goes into it but I would never be able to justify getting one Sad

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 2:53pm

The other option is start smithing on your own Wink

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 2:55pm

If you provide the space, tools and materials I'll be happy to give it a go Wink

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 3:30pm

That was a nice video to watch. It would be nice to make a sling toggle with the method the handle was made...

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:14pm

I use a chunk of railroad iron as an anvil, a small grill, charcoal and a hair drier.  A 24 ounce (3/4kg) ball peen hammer and a 2 pound (1kg) masonry hammer and old lawn mower blades.  I have a PVC pipe set in the ground full of old cooking oil for tempering.  I also use my oven for final tempering.  I have made several knives and two swords with those.

It's very difficult to get to welding temperatures, so I usually set my project up so I don't have to.  Also, I heat the blade up to remove the temper from the lawnmower blade, then cut my rough shape with a hack saw.

This is much more time consuming than if I had a shop with the proper set up and forge but it's probably better than what a lot of ancient blacksmiths were able to use, plus, I am starting with steel, that generally wasn't an option for most of the ancients.

And yes, Mauro, it's all your fault.   Grin 

My next project will be making and casting something from bronze.  I'll blame that on Mauro, too.   Grin

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:16pm

And I still have to find time to finish my matchlock.   Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 1:36pm

My first 5 or so bows were made with a dull kitchen knife in my parents garage. Granted, bow making doesn't require heating metal to high temps but, point is, if there's a will there's a way.  And hey... you learn some good lessons along the way. Such as, "because it's straight" is not a legitimate reason for cutting down a decorative crepe myrtle.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 8:19am

Hair drier, short iron pipe attached to it, a tiny pit in the ground with the pipe blowing in, grill coal, a hammer head on the ground to act as an anvil, a hammer and thongs is all you need to start forging  Cool

Cover the pit with a proportionate iron cylinder (e.g. an upside down bucket thick enough to stand the heat) and you have the perfect bronze-melting furnace  Cheesy

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 5:30pm

For the low price of a sixpack of Shiner Bock, I just got some really nice foot-long railroad pieces from the metal shop at work.  I know they'll work as-is, but I've really been itching to turn one into a properly shaped anvil and put it to work. I still need to figure out how to run a backyard suburban foundry quietly enough that the neighbors won't complain though

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)