Send Topic Print
slinging book (Read 5382 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
slinging book
Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:53pm

Has anyone heard of this book? Sling braiding traditions and techniques: From Peru, Bolivia and around the World. by R. Owen and T.N. Flynn.
It's supposed to have 50 different types of sling designs from all over the world.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: slinging book
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 12:45pm

Yes, I'm aware of this book and it is on my "to buy list". Is it out yet? My usual source still lists it as "expected publication November 2017" ?

The 50 patterns does not refer to how many types of slings, but to 50 different braiding patterns for the cords. According to the marketing blob (see below) it will be shown how to braid an andean sling. I personally doubt that other sling designs are covered, but I hope to be wrong  Wink.

Judging from his previous books (which are excellent by the way) the focus will most likely be on the textile techniques and not the actual slinging. I'm really looking forward to read it!

--- The marketing blob --- (from http://www.braidershand.com/bhbooks1.html)

This comprehensive, full-color guide features dozens of images of slings from various cultures, both ancient and contemporary. Slings had great significance in many cultures, particularly in the Andes, and were often used as both prehistoric weapons and herding tools. The book shows novice and experienced braiders how to make 50 designs, from 8 to 32 strands, on a braiding card or with a braiding stand and bobbins. Learn step by step how to make an authentic Andean-style sling with braided cords and a tapestry-woven cradle. A range of techniques useful for beginning, ending, and embellishing slings are included, and can enhance a wide variety of other items, like jewelry, garments, and accessories. This book is a key resource for historians, ethnologists, textile artists, weapons experts, and others to learn the practical skills for understanding the structure of sling braids.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Yes it's out. I saw it in a catalog from Edward R Hamilton booksellers.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:53pm

Cool. Guess I'll have to look for my credit card tomorrow.
I'm curious what they put inside except more patterns.
Anyone interested in a short review once I get it?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 6:29pm

Teg wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:53pm:
Cool. Guess I'll have to look for my credit card tomorrow.
I'm curious what they put inside except more patterns.
Anyone interested in a short review once I get it?

Yes , especially about ending braids if you find anything interesting. Thanks.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 7:36pm

I 2nd that.  ^^

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:57pm

You'll hear from me in a couple days or weeks.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 7:53am

I should be getting this book anytime soon.

I've also got some Alpaca wool ready, so soon I will become the new Jaegoor or Hubert of the Slinging world!  Cheesy

I'll make millions, just you wait. Pretentious people will go "I think the strands are blue because he was feeling melancholic." And I'll go "I was just using blue wool, you idiot!"

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 8:43am

"This piece,  "Teal Alpaca sling" was from Jackinati's famous blue period. 2018-2021"

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:57pm

Unfortunately, my usual bookstore did not meet my expectations. So I had to reorder from amazon and it got a bit more expensive than intended. The book should be due end of this week / beginning next week. However, this small inconvenience did not stop me from already starting the mess  Grin.

Peru_wool_bwg_lr.JPG (239 KB | 88 )
Peru_wool_bwg_lr.JPG

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:04pm

Looking good! Braid On  Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:27pm

Wow Teg. So that's how the pros do it. I have a lot to learn.  Shocked

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:37pm

Just looking at the pic, makes my head hurt,  and hands cramp. But I been practicing

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:09am

Oh boy... Yeah... I would rage quit this very quickly.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:30pm

Grin What you see here is a bit more messy than usually as I'm trying something new where the usual weaving techniques don't work so well.
---
I received the book in question on Friday and gave it a good look. Enjoy the review below.

---
Review of Sling Braiding Traditions and Techniques: From Peru, Bolivia, and Around the World by Rodrick Owen and Terry Newhouse Flynn, Schiffer Publishing, 2017.

The book «Sling braiding: traditions and techniques» by Rodrick Owen and Terry Newhouse Flynn is a must have for any individual interested in detailed knowledge of slings. The book is organised in seven chapters, ranging through a brief history of the sling, through an outline of recommended braiding equipment and an overview over commonly used yarn choices for braiding. Later chapters cover the complete working process for making an Andean sling (on this forum known as peruvian sling or woven split pouch), including the setting up of the braid with a fingerloop, ways of embellishing the sling, and finally, a complete guide including warp measurements and weaving instructions for the pouch. Overall, the book’s focus is on south American slings and sling use, with a focus on the textile aspect. While cultural aspects are covered in the introductory chapters, different slinging techniques are only mentioned superficially. The book has some overlap with their first book (Andean Sling Braids, 2016). It nevertheless offers enough additional information to merit the purchase, also for advanced braiders who already possess the first book. Furthermore, I highly recommend this book for any novice braider wanting to look into Andean slings.

In the following, I summarize and review the chapters of the book individually.

The first chapters reviews the history of the sling first in a global context, both from a historic and contemporary viewpoint. In a second part, a detailed account of the history of the sling in south America is given. This second part is detailed and covers a multitude of aspects such as a historic account of the sling in different ancient south American cultures from a social, technological and militaristic viewpoint, concluding with an outlook to contemporary slings, which is picked up again in later chapters of the book. The first part about the global context of the sling is rather short but touches upon the most important historical accounts of slings in a concise fashion, with a good bibliography enabling the reader to start his own research. Being concise, this part misses a few important points such as the different sling designs made from leather, and, as it is of personal importance to me, mentioning the second, older, el-Lahun sling. A short selection of contemporary slings from around the world is given, also showing a Saudi Arabian construction technique, which was unknown to me.

The second chapter details the needed braiding equipment and is basically identical with their first book. It covers the braiding card and the braiding stand.

The third chapter tackles the braiding material: the yarn. It starts with an outline of the historic preparation process of the fibers, including dying and spinning, but without detailed instructions. The focus is on animal fibres. Later sections give an overview of the different yarns suitable for braiding, also giving advice for yarn selection.

The fourth chapter is in most parts also identical with their first book. It explains the needed preparatory steps before setting up the braid, including calculating the warp length, measuring the warp and winding bobbins as well as setting up the braiding stand.

The fifth chapter treats the different braid designs. They included a good mix of simple patterns, already treated in their first book, and further variations of the more complex patterns, not found in their first book. The braiding instruction for the card and the stand are not as exhaustive as in their first book, but clearly given, thus enabling also novice braiders to follow the book without buying their first book. My only point of critique is that original technique, fistbraiding, is not described. Although it is stated in the introduction that it was left out willingly, with reference to Sling Braiding of the Andes by Cahlander, I feel it would have earned some coverage, even if very shortly, being the original braiding technique of many of these slings.

The sixth chapter treats forming the finger loop, with detailed instructions on how to arrange the threads to perform this task. Thus, splitting and combining braids is covered. Also, several blunt-end starting techniques are described in detail. As for sling decoration the techniques of stitching “beads” as well as two ways of binding tassels. As a special topic working braids over sculptural forms is mentioned briefly. The use of cross-knit looping for braid finishing, sling decoration and cradle reinforcement is shown with detailed instructions. Last, it is quickly touched upon sewing on other braids for cradle decoration. I miss that the ending of the braid is not treated in more detail, as there are a couple more options.

Chapter seven finally shows how to make a complete sling. Also, regional variations of sling making are mentioned. The chapter guides the reader through the whole process in a detailed and clear manner, beginning with the finger loop, then showing detailed how to increase the number of used strands and preparing the warps for weaving the cradle. The reader is then guided through the process of weaving the cradle in the same way. It includes the basics of tapestry weaving, which is of great use for novice braiders. It is also described how to reduce the number of strands when braiding the release cord. The chapter finishes with two stories of sling makers, one of Ben Turner, to some known as a member of this forum.

The appendix contains further braiding instructions, which were treated in their first book in the main text. As in their first book, instructions for making a braiding stand with a core frame as well as braiding cards are given. Furthermore, a table with the full dimensions of 11 slings is given. The book concludes with a good bibliography.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man)