Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Howdy from central Arkansas (Read 1981 times)
BetterTrees
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Arkansas
Howdy from central Arkansas
Jan 12th, 2018 at 10:56pm

The introductions section was pushed in my welcome message, so I figured I'd oblige.
I'm a climbing arborist and overall string enthusiast. (The ornately woven slings drew me away from the other weapons section.) I've also been a casual prehistoric living nerd for many years... I have no excuses for why I didn't start slinging until my late twenties. They're awe-inspiring little tools.

Has anyone here witnessed the manner in which arborists set lines with a throwline? I have found that my years of practice with a very sling like implement seem to have shortened my learning curve substantially (my first stones went generally where I intended for them to go!).
I'm still figuring out my form, but it is absolutely marvelous compared to my early atlatl attempts.
Anyway, I'm excited to be here and really enjoy the quality content that so many of you have bothered to put out there for people like me to freely skim.
If that guide ever happens, I'll take several.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Howdy from central Arkansas
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:48am

Welcome  from nj

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:30am

Welcome from Finland!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:19am

Welcome from Australia!!
I am also an arborist!!
Worked mainly as a climber but also done most stuff to do with trees. So I've certainly had experience with the Throwline.
I find that for sure some of the skills transfer into slinging but I think slinging will improve your Throwline skills more that the other way. 
Throwline for over ten years and slinging for under 2.
I've given the guys on here a little speech about not slinging trees (except dead or invasive pest species) so there aware of what they're doing.
Glad to have you aboard and climb safe my friend

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

BetterTrees
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Arkansas
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:51am

Thanks for the welcome!

I'd like to go somewhere with titans like y'all have around the coasts there. Ours top out at around 100 feet tall, but some of the largest oaks can be that broad as well.
I don't think i'm going to get any more help with my slinging from throwline skills. Just knowing where to release for forward rather than up, down, or reverse.
Hopefully slinging polishes my throwline skills a bit; I'm kind of lazy about it at work and need those points in comp.
Always climbing safe. There are too many that still haven't been ascended.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am

Yeah we got some big ones just down the road .
The largest tree that has been climbed and measured in my region is a Karri ( Eucalyptus diversicolor ) that was measured from memory in 2007 and was a little over 83m ( can't remember the decimal point).
I was interested in looking for larger ones but circumstances changed and I wasn't able to complete this dream.
The forest where this tree was found has loads of trees over 65m and historical story's claim even bigger.
70m is around the tallest I have climbed personally.
I still have an active role in the local tcc and was part of the master climb judging team in the Asia pacific tcc last year.
Make sure you have a good look in the forum there's a great load of information on here!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:25am

'slinging trees' ?
Missed that pep talk - so how big a tree can you sling ? I'm intrigued Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 2:41pm

Can we sling at the trees if they sling at us first? Just curious.

Welcome to the forum BetterTrees. Do you guys have any decent river stones up there? I'm below you in southeast Texas and all we have is clay here.

IP Logged

BetterTrees
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Arkansas
Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 2:58pm

With a big enough sling, you can sling any of them, just not very far. They usually just go down.
I can hit a huge tree with a slung rock though! The bigger, the better... but Mersa is right. You can do substantial damage to one in an afternoon of slinging and blowing chunks of bark off and cracking branches up to about the size of your wrist.
Since trees don't heal wounds (they simply bury them beneath more wood) you can't really measure an amount of time involved with a recovery. They change the structure forever. Much of my job is along the lines of rehabilitation from shoddy work in urban and suburban areas(mostly from line and roof clearance).

We certainly do, in the right areas. Most of my fishing creeks are mud-bottomed, but there are a large number of mostly clear, rock bottomed creeks and rivers around here.
This year when it gets warm, I'll be wading Rock Creek right in the middle of Little rock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man)