Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wooden needles (Read 5521 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Wooden needles
Jan 12th, 2018 at 10:54am

I've found a new hobby in the making of wooden needles from fallen or cut branches and sticks around my area and frankly I have far too many. I've already given away a few to people on this forum and in fact sold two to a guy in Italy and three to someone in America so it seems that there is at least some demand for them Cheesy

So... Anyone want a wooden needle? They vary in type of wood, dimensions and the size of the holes because I just work with what I find and the wood dictates what I end up with. All the needles in the picture are available but I only need to go for another walk around the park and I'll soon have some more so I don't think I'll ever sell out for long. They're all untreated bare wood except the one in the centre which is treated with linseed oil (which is why it's a bit golden). I do have a plan to experiment dyeing them with beetroot at some point so there might be some red needles coming up soon.

This is the Trading Post so yeah... I'll except almost anything. Like I said, I have too many and I'm only going to make more Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Wooden needles
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:03pm

interesting - why ?
what could you use them for ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:55am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:03pm:
interesting - why ?
what could you use them for ?

That ancient, mystical art of Nalbinding?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:32am

Exactly! I've made a hat and I'm about a 1/4 of a way through a scarf. Also they could be used for weaving (I'm planning on using one next time I have a go at a woven sling pouch).

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 10:58am

Are you going to share a pic of the hat?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:16pm

Slightly blurry perhaps but still...

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:34pm

Nice hat! Always wanted to make my own wool hat. Someday. Maybe Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:36am

Well if you need a needle let me know Wink

IP Logged

beausanford1
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2020 at 2:40pm

Are your wooden needles still available and what is the cost to the U.S.A.? Thanks russ

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2020 at 3:31am

Hi! Yeah I have a load of wooden needles left. How many would you like? Also this is the trading post so I'm happy to take a trade or paypal.

IP Logged

brokeOkie
Tiro

It’s slinging time!

Oklahoman in N. China
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2020 at 10:04am

Sweet hat, Kick!  And those wooden needles are groovy.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2020 at 10:24am

Thanks! I've made much better ones than that one now Cheesy Also some small pouches. One of them I use for my sunglasses.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2020 at 9:21pm

would like to see your sunglass pouch  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - May 19th, 2020 at 3:14am

I annoyingly can't find a picture of the sunglasses pouch, but here are too of my best efforts. I made a small pouch to carry a whet stone on my belt and then a nålbinding version of a WWI cap comforter. Very easy to make (a tube sewed at both ends and folded over itself) and very warm. Perfect for the Finnish winter. If you unfold it and include a large safety pin or kilt pin, it can be used as a scarf.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:26pm

very cool - that whetstone pouch would probably fitmy gerber (which has both metal and diamond files, so technically is also a whetstone).

Nice job Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)