Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Kahun/el-Lahun sling: Analysis and Pointers for Reconstruction Approach (Read 8140 times)
TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Re: The Kahun/el-Lahun sling: Analysis and Pointers for Reconstruction Approach
Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 4:48pm

I completely suck when it comes to shaped woven pouches.

I can do a Peruvian style pouch with the long slit because they are fairly straight, but whenever I try shaping them they end up looking like... well, horrible, and often still are far too narrow.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 7:45am

Morphy wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 2:22pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:14pm:
shorter slings would be good for hunting, which is always going to be a close up job with a sling.

Bear in mind most of the historical slings we know are war or shepherd slings - which would need to be longer.

The balearic target slings are also pretty short, as they're rarely used for anything beyong 20 metres. Which would be about max for small animal hunting.
I've tried for the last 4 years to get them to shoot at 30 metres - they just refuse, make excuses and wimp out  Smiley 

Is this only in the competitions you have taken part in or do they never go out to 30 meters? That seems very odd to me, and really not utilizing the sling to its full capabilities.

they do sling at 30metres in ibiza - not sure about mallorca. A normal competition in ibiza is 5 shots at 20 metres and 5 shots at 30 metres.

But the thing is with target shooting at short distances, it's easy to set up a range on a bit of scrub land - or in one case the end of a carpark is regularly used. It has scrub land behind it, and yes members of the public do occasionally appear in the firing line.
Health and safety - not so much Smiley

From what I've seen of the balearic islands, there just are no large flat areas for any kind of distance slinging with hard ammo. And while they will sling with tennis balls - none of them like it.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 4:57am

Teg wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 5:32pm:
On a side note: Both Lahun slings (the Manchester one and the one in the Petrie museum) are not a plain weaves but twined.

is there a tutorial on the technique? sounds very time consuming with little gains.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #18 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 5:33am

Sarosh wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 4:57am:
Teg wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 5:32pm:
On a side note: Both Lahun slings (the Manchester one and the one in the Petrie museum) are not a plain weaves but twined.

is there a tutorial on the technique? sounds very time consuming with little gains.

Thats what I read in the paper on the Petrie one and what I saw in Manchester  Cheesy Seems the egyptians thought otherwise.

See for example www.slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1505851909/0 and links therein. Its actually reasonably fast and uses no tools whatsoever. Big advantage if you are a bronce age guy  Cheesy.
on the first page of this thread, there is a pdf with the report. Some hints are in there as well (Chapter 5: Classification). In the first page, there is also summary of past discussions.

I'm aware of 5 different ways of producing identical twined structures. Having the right structure does not mean you are using the right technique!
I have a technique with twining, which is even faster. I'm currently working on that tutorial and will post it in due time.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 10:30am

@
Teg
yes the no tools approach seems fast enough for a no tools approach. I would mess up in the second triangle Tongue
Thanks for sharing all these tutorials and information!

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #20 - May 16th, 2020 at 6:08pm

In the pictures, it looks like one half is slanted one way and the other the other way (IE twinning only one way for the first triangle and the other way for the second one)

Am I too tired, is this a picture problem or does it reflect the real piece ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #21 - May 17th, 2020 at 3:04pm

Caldou wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 6:08pm:
In the pictures, it looks like one half is slanted one way and the other the other way (IE twinning only one way for the first triangle and the other way for the second one)

Am I too tired, is this a picture problem or does it reflect the real piece ?

I'm not sure I  understand your question correctly. What do you mean with slant?

Have you read page 8? There I address that a bit.
In summary:
- z-twining of the warps at one border visible, on the other probable (I would like to look at the original again to confirm that.)
- twining in the middle unknown, but probably also there as I cannot find a transition point where "two warps from the front side would lay
adjacent to each other without being separated by a warp from the backside"
- The ends of the pouch do not lie on top of each other -> tendency to twist. In reconstructions, z-twining of the full pouch shows the same (This is only a weak indication, as you can also just press it into place, or (probably) tigthen irregularly to get a similar effect.)

So my current assumption is: Both sides, left and right, are probably twined in z-direction, i.e. the same way.
Does this address your question?

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #22 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:16pm

Hrem...

Hemhemhem...

I was in fact too tired. When you tighten the sling, both ends go toward the middle, right ? I was assuming that it was due to the S and Z twinning. a few dozen of minutes later, while in my bed, I wondered how it could work for a symetrical sling, doing two quarters (like the top left and bottom right) in Z twinning and the 2 others in S...  Huh Shocked Roll Eyes

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #23 - May 17th, 2020 at 5:26pm

Caldou wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 4:16pm:
When you tighten the sling, both ends go toward the middle, right ?

Yes  Wink
Caldou wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 4:16pm:
doing two quarters (like the top left and bottom right) in Z twinning and the 2 others in S.

Well, that can be done. It could be interesting when working with different colors.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #24 - May 18th, 2020 at 5:22am

Teg wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 5:26pm:
Well, that can be done. It could be interesting when working with different colors.

but it will leave a hole ? or a weak point at the joint of the 2 colors ? Or is there a few rows in the middle where you work with the 2 strings ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #25 - May 18th, 2020 at 4:13pm

It will depend on how you do it. Can I suggest that you look up "tapestry weaving techniques" or "kilim weaving" or "twining weaving technique"? That should give you some ideas on how to approach it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)