Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I need all the material you have on slinging for a book :) (Read 2692 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
I need all the material you have on slinging for a book :)
Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Hallo pals,
this is the fact: I'm currently writing my second book, it will be on the Italian cultures of the Iron Age: early Rome, Etruscans and such.
The publishing is foreseen for next March and before February I will have to send the text to the Publisher.

I'm almost done describing the ancient armies and am now preparing to write the experimental archaeology's chapter.

I thought about adding something on slinging and there I am, asking if that may interest any of you.
If so, feel free to post here all the info you have, eg. which kind of sling are you using, weight and shape of the bullets, maximum distance recorded, style used, esteemed bullest speed and such.
Oh and pics if you like  Smiley

Of course I will give credits to any who would like to contribute and to my beloved forum as well.

Many thanks, have fun!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: I need all the material you have on slinging for a book :)
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 8:01am

Glad to see that you are writing on a second book!
Your request is quite broad, and I doubt that anything I'm doing is in any relation to the early Iron Age in Italy.
If you are mainly interested in balistics etc. there are some papers around.
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.ch...
Experimentation in Sling Weaponry: Effectiveness of and Archaeological Implications for a  WorldWide Primitive Technology Eric T. Skov
or
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.920.6481&rep=rep1&type=...
may give you some starting points. (Vega, New experimental data on the distance of sling
projectiles)

Another, more recent publication is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28088089
Conducted by Israeli police forces for obvious reasons, and gives also good starting grounds for estimating damage potential. (The traumatic potential of a projectile shot from a sling
Igor Borovsky)

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:21pm

Wow, thanks Teg!!
I'm actually writing the last chapter, in which I would like to include something about slinging as it seems that pretty much everyone practiced it in Italy during the Iron Age - or better, it would be weird if they didn't, since it seems that pretty much everyone used to begin battles by throwing stuff at the enemy.

I'm taking a break right now, but I'm definitely going to read your sources tomorrow, looks like they're exactly what I was looking for, especially the one from the Israeli police.

Which brings me to another question:

C_A, would it be ok to quote the forum as a source in my book? Can I mention it?

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 1:24pm

I don't suppose there will be a copy in English in the works, sometimes?  Or just a translated copy?

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:19am

I might speak with the publisher about this.
The thing is, we just spoke last day about the first book I wrote, which is being published next week. As he sent me the pdf for the final revision, I noticed its length is 48 pages in total.
Since an archaeological paper can be called a monograph when it's over 50 pages, otherwise it's an essay and have a different weight in your curriculum, I've asked him if I could add a few pages and he told me that by doing so he'd have to raise the final price from 12 to 20 euro and more.
It means different target of buyers and so on.

Just to say there's a lot in publishing which I am totally unaware of, I don't really know if and eventually what can we do for an English translation, I suppose the only thing I can do right now is speaking of that to the publisher.

Lame because as far as I know these books are being sold in really cool museums such as the Vatican's.....I can imagine them side by side with Michelangelo's Pietà...and only accessible to Italians  Sad

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:57am

of course you can mention slinging.org.

48 pages isn't quite a 'book'. Pamphlet or essay probably.

So how long is the second one going to be.
And what's the first one about ?

Oh yeah, happy to proof read and correct any english versions.

Feel free to use any images etc from the forum.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:37pm

Thanks C_A, I'm prone to call them essays as well, the publisher calls them "monographs" on his website, regardless of their length.
The first one is all about my Iron Age reconstructions, it's based on the article EXARC published back in 2013....the one that you proof read at the time Smiley

Anyway the second one is 50 pages, plus bibliography, biography, 2 pages of drawings and at least 67 pictures, the last dozen of which I'm currently editing - and then it's done.

I will let you know any further update, many thanks as always, this's by far the greatest online community I belong to!

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:43pm

good luck with that.  unfortunately most material you will find these days is false, or based on ignorance.  all the old school slinger training manuals and diaries (with one exception)were destroyed centuries ago.  and the few pages that survived of stories and techniques are limited and hard to come by.  much of what had survived was destroyed in a air plane crash back in the seventies with the exception of a few single paged, sporadic, historical accounts.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:40am

RS wrote on Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:43pm:
good luck with that.  unfortunately most material you will find these days is false, or based on ignorance.  all the old school slinger training manuals and diaries (with one exception)were destroyed centuries ago.  and the few pages that survived of stories and techniques are limited and hard to come by.  much of what had survived was destroyed in a air plane crash back in the seventies with the exception of a few single paged, sporadic, historical accounts.

What crash are you referencing? And what books were these pages from that were destroyed?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)