Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2018 (Read 9403 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Mushroom Hunting 2018
Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 12:45pm

That's a really funny story, Bill. I could see my crew doing something that stupid back in the day.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm

Russula and Bolete.

Gills and Pores.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:18am

Does the pinkish orange one turn greenish blue when bruised?

And the whiteish one seems to be fairly common around me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:35am

Although I didn't test the bruising reaction if you look closely at 5 and 6 o'clock you can see what might be a slight discoloration. We have tons of varieties of boletes that pop up around Houston that look like this and many do bruise so it's likely this would've as well had I picked it when fresh.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:58am

I've been slacking this year on mushroom hunting but here's two more species.

Don't have time to do much id'ing for the foreseeable future. Although if I had to guess I would go with the genus Mycena.
Look closely between the gills at the spots. That should be spores that are stuck to the gills. That and the general look and feel of this one is a good hint towards at least the genus.

Anyone want to try and ID this one? Found growing from an egg like sac in a yard as I was on my run. I'll give you a hint: It's not recommended on pizza.

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2018 at 11:18am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #35 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 3:56pm

Pineapple?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #36 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:44pm

Kick wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 3:56pm:
Pineapple?

I will accept that answer.  Mostly because I like pineapple on pizza and fully realize it's a sickness that must be stopped.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #37 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:25am

Found these in Connecticut. Anyone have an idea?

IMG_1564.JPG (7851 KB | 35 )
IMG_1564.JPG

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:40pm

Two of these just popped in the driveway

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:01pm

Possibly slingbadger wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:25am:
Found these in Connecticut. Anyone have an idea?

Possibly Amanita caesarea. Hard to tell from that pic. They usually have a lightly striate margin around the cap.

They are considered choice edibles but usually not eaten by anyone except the very experienced or foolhardy due to the fact that they are in the genus Amanita.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 12:13pm

Two days later

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 4:58pm

It's been raining quite a bit lately and while I was out jogging at the park I noticed mushrooms everywhere. All white, but three different species.

I wish I had time to ID this one. There were quite a few.

One of the features used to ID mushrooms is the texture and moisture of the cap. I tried to get a good picture of this ones slimy cap but it may not be as noticable as it was in person. So with this particular mushroom along with the usual spore print, habitat, weather, food source, elevation, season, stipe/gill structure etc an immediate characteristic to drastically narrow down the possible species would be the slimy cap. And I am slacking these days because I'm not even coming up with a possible genus, but anyways, interesting specimen.

Partial fairy ring from the above species.

Probably Chlorophyllum molybdites aka green-spored parasol. The normal Parasol mushroom is considered a good edible while this one is also probably pretty good although it's toxic so tasting is not advised. The gills showed a slight green tinge which is a good sign that it's off limits. Think nature's Mr. Yuck for those old enough to remember that reference.

Agaricus fairy ring.

Top of cap of Agaricus mushroom.

Older specimen.

Full open cap spores have not dropped enough to noticeably discolor gills.

Partial veil tearing as cap begins to open.

Fully intact partial veil of young Agaricus.

This Agaricus species shows obvious similarities to the Agaricus button mushrooms we buy in stores.

Showing how the gills change color with age. Either due only to the spores dropping or  perhaps also some type of aging process I don't know. Usually it's the spores.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2018 at 6:15pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #42 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:21pm

Pic dump!

Mushroom season has hit and hit hard. I decided I couldn't take a photo of every mushroom I've seen on our forest walks because I would be there forever and the forum would crash trying to host all the photos. On our latest walk we came across this big pile of felled trees which obviously been there for a number of years and I guess they were either deliberately left in an effort to increase the biodiversity, create new habitats for flora and fauna etc. or maybe someone just forgot to pick them up and take them to the lumber yard Cheesy

Either way, a vast array of different fungi species have taken up home on it so I thought I would myself just to the log pile and try and get pictures of each of the varieties I could see. I have very little knowledge of mushrooms as I think I previously mentioned on this thread but I do truly love the variety of forms and colours and textures. They really are beautiful. Also I must remember to get some pictures of the fly-agarics that have popped up literally right under our flat's window. They're huge and everywhere!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:31pm

It's growing under oaks. Think it is one of the stinkhorns. Have to look it up.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 10:32pm

This should have been the first pic. Same mushroom about a week earlier.

2018091395192527.jpg (222 KB | 31 )
2018091395192527.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)