Mushroom Hunting 2018 (Read 9478 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Mushroom Hunting 2018
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 9:48pm

Morphy you legend!!!
Now I'm not sure how well it's ment to work but my gosh it's definitely going in my tinderbox.
Chars very well , easy to prep and seems to be easy to work with while charing.
These are the types of life skills that give me the most joy.
Identifying trees and fungi then gain more skills and knowledge as part of this. I'll be the interesting guy at campsites this year starting fire the old way with a old conk.
Thanks for the info!!!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 7:42am

Hey that's great Mersa!  Grin  What a great find! Now you got me wanting to find some conks and try it myself... hmm.... Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:30pm

Stinkhorn mushrooms.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:00am

Wow that's a interesting one

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:34pm

They are called stinkhorns for a good reason. Ugh. Flies love them.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:51pm

Just watched a joe rogan podcast on YouTube with Paul Stamets....
Brilliant and entertaining!
Here’s the link:
https://youtu.be/mPqWstVnRjQ

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:01am

Oh yeah that is one of my favorites. Mr stamets is the man.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2018 at 7:46pm

Two small examples of psilocybe cubensis. These are the classic magic mushrooms that actually do grow on cow manure. Many magic mushrooms do not. Also some dangerous species grow on manure so the fact that a mushroom is coprophilous does not make a mushroom safe or unsafe in and of itself.

Our government has wisely decided to make this and other species illegal to pick and possess. Even for one such as myself whose only interest is academic. It's a good thing too. Zero people die from this dangerous species every year and it's estimated that perhaps millions of people have broken down into fits of laughter since the 60's while consuming this dangerous substance. Luckily it's still legal to drown ones sorrows in a bottle of vodka.

A bluing reaction occurs shortly after many psilocybe containing mushrooms are picked or bruised. It can be observed on the stems of these specimens. In some of the more reactive species (or strains of this species) the bluing is a deep beautiful blue color that rarely occurs in nature. Luckily whichever adventurous soul picked these and placed them on a haystack for me to find later did so not too long before me, so they are still quite fresh.   Roll Eyes Tongue

I've wanted pictures of P. Cubensis up close for my collection for some time now. So to whoever picked these, thanks!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #23 - May 5th, 2018 at 6:25am

Very kind of them to place them in good lighting Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - May 5th, 2018 at 7:11pm

nice!!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - May 6th, 2018 at 8:48am

I know some guys, actually, it was the whole family, who used to pick those and make a "tea"".  I was at a party at their place back after high school when they decided that everybody should go pick mushrooms.  So we staggered out into the pasture and started looking for mushrooms growing out of cow patties.  In the dark.  With only one or two flashlights and those had rather weak batteries.

I have to admit that even rather drunk, I didn't think that was all that good an idea.  Enyhoo.  They got a bunch of mushrooms and put them in a pot and started boiling them.  I suppose that if they had cleaned all the cow manure off them, it might have smelled somewhat better. 

They poured the mess through a sieve and drank the result.  I couldn't get past the smell, every time the cup got near my face, I stated heaving.  Which at least got all the alcohol out of me. 

Then everyone sat down and waited for the pretty colors to start.  Except nothing happened.  Which meant that everyone had basically just picked mushrooms at random, boiled them and drank the mess.

The more I learn about mushrooms, the more amazed I am that no one got sick or died that night.  Most did get the runs from the manure, which is something, I suppose.  It was enough to convince me to not mess with mushrooms with out someone who knows what they are looking at, even though the "experts" were self handicapped with alcohol.

That was my first and last foray into the world of foraging for mushrooms.  Wish you were somewhat closer, Morphy, it would be nice to be able to go out with someone who could point out the edible mushrooms and not just the ones that will make you high.  And they were wrong about those, BTW.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - May 7th, 2018 at 3:22am

This has been popping up a lot at work . Not sure what it is but its growing on a Agonis flexuosa . Soft fleshy bracket with gills

image_084.jpeg (146 KB | 48 )
image_084.jpeg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - May 7th, 2018 at 10:27am

Bill, There must be something about alcohol that makes people immune to their own stupidity. Good to hear all they got was the runs!

Mersa, if it has gills like that with orange spores it might be a gymnopilus species. There are several of those that are also hallucinogenic. Although said to be intensely bitter.

Here's Gymnopilus Junonius. I'll be the first to admit I don't know Australian mushrooms at all but that would be the first thing I rule out.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 2:34pm

These have come up around the same poplar three summers in a row. Can anyone id them?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:45am

Pretty difficult to tell from that picture. Possibly a copronoid. Can't pin it down closer than that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)