Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a Staff Sling (Read 2140 times)
Shale

Canada
Making a Staff Sling
Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:45am

Just in time for the new year, Lindybeige posted a long tutorial on how to make a staff sling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3mztvclHk

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Making a Staff Sling
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 4:16pm

A staff sling has been on my "Make" list for a long time. 2018 should be the year I get it made Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2020 at 2:58pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 5:17pm

not the best video of lindybeige.
it would be nice if he used it. 45minutes with no action are very boring... and a little pointless for such simple weapon

IP Logged

TimberGhost
Novicius

Ad silvam

OREGON, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:02pm

Thanks for mentioning this video. I watched it early this morning, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Lindy makes good videos. I’ve since added a staff sling to my build-list for 2018. Wink

Our past is the future..

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 11:18am

I was all set to wait and use a natural branch once I got the chance to go out to the summer cottage but I just couldn't wait any longer and bought a broom handle.

A little bit of carving, filing and sanding and the staff was ready. For the sling part, I was all set to just use one of the cotton string slings I have lying around but none of them were long enough and would have required a fair bit of adjusting to get them the right proportions. I recently got a second Tibetan yak wool sling from Funditor in the Sling In The Hat so with their wide pouch and the fact they're pretty long and have excess retention cord length, I thought they would be perfect. The one from Funditor was a bit too long so I went with the one I had originally and simply tied it on. It seems that with just a simple knot and it sitting in the groove I carved out, it actually stays put. I haven't yet tested it with a heavy rock but I would want to try and keep it from being permanently attached as I like the fact it can be taken off and still be used as a hand sling.

Once the weather improves, I should be able to go out and get some testing done with it and see if the hook needs any adjusting Smiley

Also as a side note, I tested out the sling Funditor sent me and these Tibetan slings are great for snowballs Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 11:36am

They look great too.

I might have to figure out how to make one of those Tibetan-type slings myself.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:05pm

I would really recommend getting one. Really affordable price for a hand-made sling made by actual Tibetan herders from yak wool. They are really beautiful. Once you have one you'll be able to compare and get the proportions and style of braid right too Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:32pm

Did yours' work?  My staff slings, (both of them), would sling a rock with great force into the ground about 20 feet out (7m).   Cry

I obviously messed up the notch or the sling length or both.  Sad

Could you do a close up of your notch?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:43pm

I haven't tested it with ammo yet, just slung it empty in our flat to check it was going to come off at all. Once I test it I'll adjust it as needed. I'll get a picture with the sling off so it's clear.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:47pm

I took pictures from all angles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)