Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
One SAK to Rule them All (Read 3956 times)
Shale

Canada
One SAK to Rule them All
Dec 12th, 2017 at 6:42pm

I recently bought a Swiss Army Knife from an army surplus store and I think that it's the best all-around EDC and hiking/camping SAK that you can get. It's a version of the SAK that was made for the German army. In the EDC role this knife has:

A slim profile (two layers, approx. 1/2 inch thick)
A longish blade (3 1/4 inches), but one that isn't scary or threatening-looking
A screwdriver (one edge is angled and works surprisingly well with Phillips head screws)
A cap-lifter/can-opener combo tool
A corkscrew (which I mostly use to hold a mini-screwdriver)
A nail file

In the hiking/camping role, this knife has:

A sturdy-ish blade (It has a thicker spine than the regular SAK)
Nylon handle scales which are sturdier than the plastic
A wood saw (with a metal cover)
An awl/reamer
A lanyard hole

The German army replaced this knife with a different style of SAK in the early aughts, but you can still find the old-style German army knives in surplus stores or on ebay.

SAK1.jpg (345 KB | 59 )
SAK1.jpg
SAK2.jpg (348 KB | 38 )
SAK2.jpg

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: One SAK to Rule them All
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:06pm

I've been working on my EDC and my ultralight hiking camping setup. I'm always carting my sling around , been looking at tiny opinels maybe. I'm a big fan of opinels and have seen some very good mods that make them more of a multi tool.
Sak/multitool are great in a more urban environment but in thick bush I will always prefer to bring my axe knife and saw.
But for ultra light stuff it's too much.
Might go for a hike now.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:04am

I've got a mini SAK on my keychain. Small blade, nail file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers. Not so great for out in the forest but as EDC it's perfect and has saved the day numerous times.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:10am

Thanks for the inspiration to hike today.
Here's a panorama from today

image_069.jpeg (38 KB | 52 )
image_069.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:19am

I have an older Swiss Champ. I"ve had one since my Navy days. You can do just about anything with them.

swiss.jpg (155 KB | 39 )
swiss.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:48am

Nice picture Mersa.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:56am

used to carry swiss army knives. But all the tools are small time and tend to not be that useful in the real world.
The scossors always lose their spring very quickly and just won't cut the stuff the scossors on my gerber will cut through: Everything from thin wire to network cable to fuel pipe one interesting afternoon. 

Been carrying a gerber plierman 600 for about 20 years.
Best multitool on the planet.

Plus if you live in the states you can get them custom made with the sets of tools you want !

They don't offer that service in the uk Sad

The other multitool I carry is my mantiss buzzard.  Just the 2 tools a 1 inch hooked blade and a bottle opener/multi use screwdriver.

Between that and the gerber I rarely need anything else.

The things that sets the gerber apart from all the competitors is the one handed opening and proper heavy duty practical usage.
Face it you need pliers most when you've already got one hand occupied, being able to deploy the left handed is brilliant. With practice you can also open every single tool and lock it with one hand as well.

I'd say both the gerber and buzzard get used pretty much every single day.

This is my ideal model: https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/One-Hand-Opening/Diesel-Tool_22-01470

That toolser with the replaceable carbide wire cutters would be the perfect gerber.  Can't find that option. Sad

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 7:10am

@CA,  the older Gerbers are awesome.  Now everything they make is junk.  I edc a Leatherman surge,  with extra screwdriver bits and extender.  Plus a 25 year warranty.  I been carrying it about 2 years now, abd it has helped so many times.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:35pm

never been impresseed with lethermen. Only gerber do the one handed open, sliding pliers. I'd be lost without mine.

The problem with the screw driver bits and extender is the replacement belt sheaths are so bloody expensive.

Every couple years I buy a piece of crap tool for a couple of quid, throw it away and keep the case - which is usually at least as good as the stupidly expensive gerber own brand Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:39pm

I like Leathermans (and I have heard good things about the Gerber multi-tool), but I rarely need pliers and begrudge carrying the extra bulk and weight. I mostly use a pocketknife to open packages and cut fruit and could probably get by with just a single blade. Everything else on my GAK is gravy.

Shale

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:13pm

My sheath wasn't bad, I think I paid $12 USD, it's a military molle strap style case. Never lost anything yet. But I do plan on making a custom leather one soon.  I am in no need for a one handed open, but the Leatherman warranty  is what sold me. I don't like Gerber, due to 'Bear Grylls' being connected with them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:13am

well the bear grylls thing is actually sort of positive. mainly because they get sold at a lot less than the unbranded ones.

I guess people don't want to be seen with the bear grylls brand whistle

I wear out a belt sheath every few years. The point wears a hole in the bottom that gradually gets larger.  Ballistic nylon just isn't that tough.
could make one i suppose - might even try part printing one. Hmmm.......
Could print the belt loop and a basic shaped frame with the flexible pla and then cover with riveted or stitched leather
Hmmm... (again, lol).

I use the pliers and scissors an awful lot.
And i find with pliers that you most need themwhen you can't let go of the thing you want to use them on. So one handed opening is a must for me.

But the buzzard has 90% of everything else.
Good package cutting blade, locking tools (illegal in the uk but important for user safety) the bottle opener and screwdriver tool are used pretty much every day as it fits all screws used in the pc industry - even the crosshead ones. Also it's strong enough to be of inestimable use as a general purpose furtling tool Smiley
And the little blade I'd be lost without. 

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:29am

You guys need one of these... (see pictures).

Jokes aside: I used a long time the type of knives Shale showed.
The biggest drawback with them is that the blade does not lock and it does not fit my hand too well.

I changed over to the new SAK:
https://www.victorinox.com/ch/de/Produkte/Schweizer-Taschenmesser/Grosse-Taschen...

Very pleasant ergonomic grip, lockable serrated blade, saw, straight and cross screwdriver, bottle-opener, awl. That's all I need.

SFB.JPG (42 KB | 46 )
SFB.JPG
SFB2.JPG (36 KB | 48 )
SFB2.JPG

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:54am

That's a nice step up from the original Teg. I like the SAK's but I would be willing to spend more if they essentially made the same kind of knife but with  better steel and parts.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 11:52am

How do the blades lock in the new knife teg ?

I can see a 'press this' tab at the back.
So is it some kind of liner-lock ?
Looks a lot more heavy duty than the usual sak.

I do miss my awl - snapped off the gerber some years back.
Have to see if amazon have that model.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Swiss-Soldiers-Knife-Green/dp/B002RWXZ7E/ref...

Yep - 111 mm ! that's a fairly big pocket knife

saklock.JPG (28 KB | 54 )
saklock.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)