Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greatest Sporting Event (Read 1212 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Greatest Sporting Event
Dec 6th, 2017 at 1:04pm

In that this is an international site we should get a good variety of answers with this question.  If you could go back in time and witness one sporting event what would it be?
    I would love to go back and watch Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game against the New York Nicks back in '62.  I am old enough to have seen a good bit of Wilt's career on TV but I never saw him live.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain%27s_100-point_game
    Going back to ancient Rome and watching a gladiator competition would be fun.  Barbaric but fun.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Greatest Sporting Event
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:33pm

I would want to see the first sports competition. I guess it would be a running race or something but it would be pretty interesting to see the very first organised sports competition.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:52pm

Give me a front row seat at the colosseum watching some bloodsport. Now that's worthy of a time machine.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:22pm

a fight of milon of croton .

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:02am

The ancient Cretans had a sport that can best described as bull vaulting. A bull was loose in an arena. Athletes (or fools) would run at the bull, leap at it and handspring off it's back like in gymnastics. I believe this was done to honor Mithras. Let's see one of our modern athletes try that.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:29am

The ancient Olympic games.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:59am

the 1966 world cup. probably the last time an english football team won anything Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RockerSlinger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:20pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dXAk91PltMI

You don't have to go back in time to see bull jumpers slingbadger. Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:52am

would have been cool to have been at the world's strongest man when mariusz won his 5th title !
Or last years in botswana when eddie hall won.
Apart from family it didn't look like there were any supporters from anywhere else there at all.
In the uk, strength event crowds  are filling stadiums these days.
Seems a shame to deliberately hoild the worlds in places specifically picked to stop people going to watch. 

Been to a couple britains strongest man contests and most of the team (pairs) world strongman events.

But botswana is knd of expensive and a long way to go Smiley The team events are held in stoke, so just an hours drive away.

The british events were a bit different. Back then they were week long events and a female friend and I used to go.

Having a tall, good looking brunette with you made getting pictures much easier whistle 

Still haven't managed a pic with Big z - maybe this year, if he goes to the team event He and lalas won it last year. But my mate was working and we couldn't make it.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)