Send Topic Print
Who Would You Pick? (Read 3964 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Who Would You Pick?
Dec 2nd, 2017 at 12:28pm

This year you get the opportunity to share your Christmas dinner with two famous people; one currently alive, and one from the past. Who would you choose?
    Off the top of my head I might pick Jack Nicholson for my live guest.  He has a very dry wit.  I imagine he'd be interesting as hell.
    For my guest from the past I'd choose Genghis Khan. Just because.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Who Would You Pick?
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 7:23pm

There are many. But I choose:
Stephen Hawking
Nikola Tesla

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:25am

King Buzzo from The Melvins and Kurt Cobain. The meal would be popcorn for me because they would probably argue the whole time Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 12:12pm

That's a tough one.
But I think I'll go for Saint niklaus (nicholas), who in a weird kind of shrodingeresque way, may still be alive, or could actually be dead.
So doubles as both guests Smiley

Plus after all the centuries of hard work it's about time someone cooked him a christmas dinner Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 1:13pm

From the past I'd wish to speak with C. S. Lewis. For all that I've read he's still one of the few truly wise minds I've touched.

For alive? Either Hansi from Blind Guardian or Brent Weeks (Fantasy author).

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:20pm

I can't think of any famous people that would top that list.

But if I could I would like to sit down with some elders of the Hopi or Navajo to hear their legends and stories first hand.

In the past it would have to be Jesus. Because even if I wasn't Christian that would probably be a pretty interesting pick. If not Jesus than either Otzi the Iceman or one of the caretakers of the library of Alexendria.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:43pm

It would be interesting to hear if Ötzi knew his killer.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:04pm

Kick wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:43pm:

I imagine that would be quite a story. I would love to hear what would pass for "drama" in his time. Or their daily conversation and beliefs. The fact that we will never know these things makes it that much more fascinating.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:43pm

Ewan Mcgregor and Paul.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:01am

what came first to my mind was : a playboy girl and Alexander the great.

people from the past are very interesting alternative picks are : nikola tesla ,christ ,iphikrates , archimedes, genghis khan,miyamoto musashi , a ww2 high ranked german who would be willing to speak about any secret technology ,and any ancient slinger mercenary who knows his art well and knows the differences between slinging cultures of his era. a man from atlantis(trick to know if any nation like that existed Tongue) and more....

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 11:22am

Morphy wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:04pm:
Kick wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:43pm:

I imagine that would be quite a story. I would love to hear what would pass for "drama" in his time. Or their daily conversation and beliefs. The fact that we will never know these things makes it that much more fascinating.

I would imagine that other than vast technological differences drama in Otzi's time would be pretty much the same as drama in ours. I believe that once the language problem was solved we'd find Otzi very much like us.  Our gadgets change but people don't.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:28pm

Read some of the diary of Samuel Pepys and you'll see Ratman is completely on point here. We fight over the same crap, the same way, though we be separated by centuries.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:30pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:20pm:
I can't think of any famous people that would top that list.

But if I could I would like to sit down with some elders of the Hopi or Navajo to hear their legends and stories first hand.

In the past it would have to be Jesus. Because even if I wasn't Christian that would probably be a pretty interesting pick. If not Jesus than either Otzi the Iceman or one of the caretakers of the library of Alexendria.

Jesus was very close to being one of my picks also.  I'll bet the house he'd be absolutely nothing like how organized religions portray him.  He'd probably be very cool and fun to be with.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:44pm

Alive: Trey Parker & Matt Stone (one of which will eat after midnight)

Dead: Emperor Caligola  Cheesy He sure had to be funny! Just hope he don't set my house on fire or start speaking to my cat or something like that...

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:04am

The thing people seem to have forgotten is that:
1) jesus was a rabbi. And a fundamentalist at that. Having a different religion based on himself would most likely have horrified him.
2) no part of the bible was written during his lifetime. Best estimate is 30 years after his death - so it's at best hearsay. The chance that the bible writers ever actually met jesus are, also, pretty remote.

So yeah thst would be an interesting dinner alright Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)