Release Compensation (Read 2349 times)
johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Release Compensation
Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:06am

made and tested a Y-sling. based on jax's designs.
i'm biased in favor of conventional split pouch slings, what i always used...
a Y-sling release feels like throwing a single weight bola. comparing it to a conventional sling the  conventional sling feels draggish at release ,it feels like friction causes late releasing. after enough throws you can compensate the release but the drag and friction is still there.

what bothers me Angry  Cry: is there any reason for us to continue using conventional slings and deal with release compensation, drag and friction?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Release Compensation
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:30am

yes - both david and I nearly killed ourselves using one of Jax's baseball slings Smiley

Got pictures, design ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:28pm

it's 78cm
~95% of the projectile weight is on the release cord .
at first it had a captive release but when i removed it ,it feels much better now.

here are some pictures. the white ball is a tennis ball in a balloon(just for comparison) i have thrown only stones not tennisballs.

DSCN0793__Custom_.JPG (239 KB | 32 )
DSCN0793__Custom_.JPG
DSCN0794__Custom_.JPG (298 KB | 33 )
DSCN0794__Custom_.JPG
DSCN0795__Custom_.JPG (155 KB | 32 )
DSCN0795__Custom_.JPG
DSCN0796__Custom_.JPG (168 KB | 41 )
DSCN0796__Custom_.JPG

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:11pm

So which is the release cord? The wider side?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:38pm

@
kicktheotter

yes

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:59pm

I can't see how this could work as well as a standard split pouch. My split pouch has a very consistent fast realease . I have used slings with slower realease ( leather braid) and understand what your saying but I think this can be tuned out of your sling . Stretch and flexibility and pouch grip play roles .
This y pouch design still can have a delayed release . I also always let my projectile go from in between the release and retention . I don't hold the release in the flight path but rather cradleing the projectile .

As for captive realease. I have tried it on a few slings but find it makes it prone to tangle and am not seeing any major power increases.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:29pm

Mersa wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
As for captive realease. I have tried it on a few slings but find it makes it prone to tangle and am not seeing any major power increases.

wait a minute on what sling did you have the captive release on? that can't work on regular slings.

if you haven't tried a Y style sling then i suggest you do. i'd really like to hear how it feels to you.

pros: silent release, smooth release
cons: needs more spherical stones, can't control the spin axis and it's not what i've been training with the last years.
cons i believe can be worked upon since i had (somehow noidea) a lot of spiral releases when i used elongated stones.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 6:44pm

I have made captive release slings before on a standard split pouch. They work however not in every style of throw. I imagine this is the same for a y pouch captive release. I haven't used this exact design but have used one similar where the ball passes through two strings.
The silent release appeals to me for a hunting scenario.
I have also tried a pouch release low on the sling where there is a mechanism that releases the pouch at its connection.
I got it to work but my design was heavily flawed.

I am more than open to trying out different designs but I always go back to my dyneema split pouch

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:15am

Looks interesting, but I would need to see a problem to go looking for a fix.

Personally I haven't seen any issues. Cleanest release I've had is with a good tab instead of a knot or cord on a conventional sling. I may not be understanding what you mean by drag/friction.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 3:03am

Mersa wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
I have also tried a pouch release low on the sling where there is a mechanism that releases the pouch at its connection.
I got it to work but my design was heavily flawed

i'm making one like this now. if it succeeds then it will be better than the Y-sling by being able to control the spin.

Morphy wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:15am:
Looks interesting, but I would need to see a problem to go looking for a fix.

before using the new sling design i was alright with the old ones nothing bothered me because there was consistency.
if you want to understand what i'm saying about release friction then use a string tied on a stone and throw it instead of a Y-sling . throw it at a target several times until you feel comfortable and then use one of your regular slings. probably you will be late releasing but after some throws 10-30(depends on sling and thrower) you can compensate the release so you'll be on target.however the friction of the sling will still be there.

i used the Y sling for 1 hour so maybe it was a bad day with the regular ones which made the differences between the two designs more obvious.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 4:49am

Do you think that it effects your aim enough that it's a problem?
I'm not sure that it is that much of a issue.
I'm also sceptical about how much power you gain buy a captive release. In theory I think it makes sense but I haven't seen the evidence in practice.
It might be that a more complex design needs to be more precise and my quick home jobs are not up to standard.
However I think that the sling had a lot of time to develop through history and it might just be that the simple sling is the best design.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 6:13am

@
Mersa
first of all i'd like it if people could try it and put their thoughts on this. before trying it i too couldn't see a difference.if you pay attention you will feel it at release.

comparing the 2 designs: the conventional sling  has very nice external ballistics if you can control the spin and make it a rifle spin. but bad internal ballistics due to friction. any friction causes inconsistency.
it's like a rifled barrel with a bad crown.

the Y-sling has very nice internal ballistics smooth release(no friction), silent, but bad external ballistics: low spin that seems not that easy to control.
this is like a musket (with good crown).

if the other design works it will have the benefits of both worlds by adding a little complexity.

captive release is from what i understand there to ensure a release and not a tangling ,it also may help with reloading long slings Jax used.my sling is relatively short and works very well without captive release.
there is no extra power from a captive release. i also can't understand how it even worked on a split pouch(a picture might help)

i understand what you say about history, i hate complexity too. Angry

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 6:27am

I'll be interested to see what you come up with .
It's always interesting comparing different slings.
I am yet to use a sling I prefer to my dyneema sling . It might be that im bias to begin with. I've tried all sorts and notice the "drag/friction" on some slings more than others.
The idea of a well functioning pouch release sling appeals to me but I need to work more on my design or materials. When I did it it was messy and I didn't notice anything that made me want to pursue it more.

Your getting me hungry again.

I have an idea that could neaten the design but I don't have the right stuff at the moment.
Essentially a hollow rope that has an internal rope that is able to slide.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 9:53am

The single cord bola would seem only to differ in that there is no projectile releasing. If I'm reading you correctly the release friction refers to the manner in which the stone rolls out of the pouch?

Assuming that's the case I've seen this as well. My fix if you can call it that was using good ammo. Friction and release delay becomes very obvious when you spend some time using good ammo then switch to random poorly shaped ammo. 

When I look at the captive release the difference seems to be that it both opens and widens at the moment of release. So I assume this let's the stone loose even quicker?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:47am

Morphy wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 9:53am:
If I'm reading you correctly the release friction refers to the manner in which the stone rolls out of the pouch?

exaxtly .
the reason balearic slings have leather protection.
at my regular slings i can see up to 20cm of wear from the center of split pouch to release cord . even though i throw rifle spin most of the time.

because it seems we aren't talking about the same captive release.... take a look here reply 55# http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1227069230/45

check the whole thread it has a lot of pictures.

i used captive release and it feels awkward . the benefits come from the strangely shaped pouches not captive release.
the roll out changes from ~20cm(varies with stone shape, style etc ) to a few cm.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)