Least Favorite Bug? (Read 3619 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Least Favorite Bug?
Reply #15 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 12:36pm

blackfly get into your hair, up your nose everywhere. horseflies and mosquitos are your best friends in comparison.
Plus blackfly are so bloody small you don't see them coming.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 2:31pm

Blackflies sound fun. Can't say I feel left out having never experienced that. I've heard that in the Everglades sometimes a cow will wander into a particularly bad spot and die from mosquito exsanguination. Now is that true? No idea. But it sounds horrifying and based on my experience here I almost believe it's possible.  Shocked Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:02pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 2:31pm:
Blackflies sound fun. Can't say I feel left out having never experienced that. I've heard that in the Everglades sometimes a cow will wander into a particularly bad spot and die from mosquito exsanguination. Now is that true? No idea. But it sounds horrifying and based on my experience here I almost believe it's possible.  Shocked Smiley

Yeah I've heard Alaskan mosquito stories where a MOOSE dies from blood loss from hordes of mosquitoes.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:24pm

JudoP wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 10:05am:
I second horseflies. For anyone not familiar, they are essentially a housefly looking thing scaled up to the size of a hornet, that sucks your blood like a mosquito on roids.

I went up a mountain in Canada before, and it was just thick with horseflies and mosquitos. Even covered in insect repellent they bite you to shreds.

Ticks really suck too, first time I went to do archery in the forest I got three of the little suckers head deep in me. Nasty.

Ticks and Horseflies are horrible little buggers. Horse Flies like to play psychological warfare with their target with their nasty buzzing before trying to bite you (kind of a fun "QTE" when they land you though).

Ticks on the other hand are the last thing I ever want to see crawling around on my lap in a truck after a good day's hike. I was small child when my brother tried to burn the sucker with its head burrowed while I was still under the impression that I would either burst into flames or have searing pain.

I still have an aversion to being near a tick to this day. For its seemingly invulnerable structure, slow movement, and the spook of seeing one engorged to about the size of a fingernail or so.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:23am

Here in New Jersey the mosquito is our state bird.  We have many nasty insects here... the dreaded Greenhead by the seashore, Deer Flies, Horse Flies, Noseeums, Yellow Jackets, etc..  My least favorite of all is the tick because it's the one that's done the most damage to me personally.  I contracted Lyme Disease while working for cable TV in 1993.  By 1997 I was 100% permanently disabled.  Ticks suck. 
Edit:  Also my late wife, daughter, and two of my dogs contracted Lyme Disease though the all fared better than I did.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2017 at 12:14pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:45pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:23am:
Here in New Jersey the mosquito is our state bird.

Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:43pm

We are VERY fortunate here in New Jersey to not have Blackflies.  I say that because you only have to travel a few states north to find them.  Besides Yellowjackets they are the only insect that I can think of that ever had me running for my life. 
    While in Vermont years ago my late wife and a friend fished our way down a creek as it dropped to lower ground.  The lower we got the worse the Blackflies got.  We were all trying to be tough and cool about it.... "Just a few flies..."  Finally we had enough and without saying a word took off for our lives.  It was rough ground and a miracle someone didn't get injured. Blackflies are evil.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 6:22pm

Blackflies from what I read on this thread ought to be the worst biting insect I conclude. When I was a young teen, the first time I was swarmed by yellow jackets was in a hike to Lost Lake in the Missions (not worth the hike). I thought I was walking through thorns as I remember that a honey bee sting did more damage to little me probably almost a decade before (having to go to the hospital). Then my brother had to point out I was being stung. Sucks to be at the back of a trail, I wasn't allergic that time thank goodness.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 12:17pm

Blackflies, as tiny as they are, actually draw blood when they bite.  I can't say that they're worse than Yellowjackets, but they are certainly awful.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)