Least Favorite Bug? (Read 3617 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Least Favorite Bug?
Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:24pm

Living here in Montana we don't have many venomous spiders or really nasty bees. But we do have these little spawns of Satan (Example Image from Web Below). They have antennae that can get to 2-3 inches, their bodies only one usually. They make a loud buzz seconds before they try and land on your face with those, cold, maliced, hate filled eyes staring you down. I'm sure the Australian members on here should diversify this list.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Re: Least Favorite Bug?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:34pm

By the way, the image's name comes from me saving the file from my browser.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:34pm

I'm an arborist who lives in Australia so I have had lots of experiences with bugs and alike but the worst thing that I have come across are a cattapillar that lives in oak trees in Germany . I do not know the English name of how to spell the word in German but it's something like eicheprotisponspinner.
Nasty things that can get you from meters away . Make you itch for days

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:37pm

Nasty caterpillar indeed.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:42pm

Best part is being an arborist in Germany you are who is likely to get the call to remove them from the tree. Lots of nasty stuff in Australia but not as much where I am. In the north there are badarse ants that flogg you up trees

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:43pm

You must love your job to continue doing that!  Grin

Some Sawyer-like bugs like an Asian Longhorn are apparently a plague in American Forests as well. Never be too careful.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:55pm

America has a lot of pest species effecting trees also fungi that is causing big problems. Australia is lucky in that it's an island and has a strong border quarantine. However we still get things coming in through the cracks. Our latest one has the potential to infect almost the whole of Australia if it's not contained.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 5:24pm

Least favorite= Mosquitos. It's hard to imagine a more annoying insect. Effectively dirty used flying hypodermic needles that can home in on your sweat and breath. Horribe creatures. Ticks are also up there as well. The diseases they spread can affect you for the rest of your life. And they are disgusting looking to boot.

I'll also throw out a few good bugs to leave on a good note. Fire flies, June bugs and cicadas are all just fine by me.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 5:45pm

Mersa: "Eichen-Prozessionsspinner" ? (english: Oak processionary)

That name went through the newspapers a couple years ago...

My least favourites include as well ticks and mosquitos. Add bed-bugs and we're done.

My favourite is most probably lucanus cervus (a stag beetle according to wikipedia). I've only seen two or so in the wild but they are quite impressive.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 3:56am

Over here the worst ones are horse flies. Luckily their season is pretty short and I think I've only been bitten maybe once by them. Ticks are nasty little buggers carrying Lyme disease and being sneaky as hell. They're pretty easy to keep off though with long trousers and avoiding the deepest patches of vegetation. Mosquitoes... I hate mosquitoes. Unfortunately they love me. I don't know if it's my English blood that the Finnish mosquitoes love but I always end up with twice the number of bites as my girlfriend and her family. They're the only thing I don't like about the Summer cottage. Relentless, annoying and there are BILLIONS of them.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2017 at 10:44am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:34am

Black flies. 1/16 of an inch bloodsuckers. Like mosquitoes, their saliva can produce an allergic reaction that causes itching and swelling. Most welts are the size of quarters, but some, like the picture are extremely allergic.

blackflybite.jpg (62 KB | 56 )
blackflybite.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:45am

I'm a mosquito magnet anywhere in the world.
But hands down the worst insect I've ever come across are the canadian blackfly they get in algonquin national park.

Evil, nasty, bitey, bastard things !

The scots will always claim the loch midges are the world's worse - but canadian blackfly would have them for breakfast - kilts and all !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 8:29am

I’m with Morphy, mosquitoes are the worst. Especially, when they are more attracted to you than the rest of your family, well in my case my Dad’s the same. If we all stood outside, me and him would get bit most.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 10:05am

I second horseflies. For anyone not familiar, they are essentially a housefly looking thing scaled up to the size of a hornet, that sucks your blood like a mosquito on roids.

I went up a mountain in Canada before, and it was just thick with horseflies and mosquitos. Even covered in insect repellent they bite you to shreds.

Ticks really suck too, first time I went to do archery in the forest I got three of the little suckers head deep in me. Nasty.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 10:43am

Horseflies also cut through your clothing to get at you. If mosquitoes are flying hypodermic needles, horseflies are miniature flying chainsaws.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)