Send Topic Print
I Call BS (Read 2485 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
I Call BS
Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:29am

The  TV show Dual Survival can sometimes have some useful advice but often it is ridiculously fake.
    Yesterday I was watching an episode where Joe and Matt are in the Andes Mountains at 15,000 feet.  They get soaking wet and because of the altitude they're unable to start a fire with a bow drill.  So supposedly they huddle together all night sitting on a rock, soaking wet, in the wind, at that altitude. Give me a break.
    If by some slim chance they did survive the night they certainly wouldn't have been in any shape to film the next day's episode. They would have been lucky to make it to the hospital. Donuts to dollars they spent the night in the camera crew's van.
    There was another episode where something similar happened.  Joe got separated from whoever his partner was at the time and was walking around somewhere in the mid south.. Kentucky, I believe, in the cold and pouring rain.  There was no way for him to start a fire so supposedly he made a leaf pile and slept in that. I challenge anyone on earth to spend the night soaking wet at 40 degrees Fahrenheit, sleeping in wet leaves all night. Bull jive.  Fake show.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: I Call BS
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 11:28am

They have level 99 survivalism. So 15,000 feet in the Andes is nothing.

Seriously though this is why I can't get into that show or Grylls. In Naked and Afraid people suffer and fail exactly how they would in real life, minus the inevitable painful death most would suffer in such a situation.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 11:32am

The only one I give any credit to is ray mears.
ex-sbs, and those guys make the sas look like wimps.

He really knows his stuff.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:53pm

Ray Mears was never in the military.

Ray Mears actually lives in the woods and practices what he preaches, which is more than a lot of the so called "experts" do.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:13pm

Naked and Afraid isn't a terrible show. Half of the time the participants don't make it and no one thrives. Even the ones who do finish the 21 day challenge suffer greatly and loose a lot of weight. They definitely don't try to glamorize survival situations. Plus there's naked booty!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 7:31pm

Lol. Youre funny RM. Guess that would be a perk.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:37am

Bill Skinner wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:53pm:
Ray Mears was never in the military.

Ray Mears actually lives in the woods and practices what he preaches, which is more than a lot of the so called "experts" do.

Ah fair do's - but he doesn't live in  the woods either Smiley

you're thinking of the 'mute' austrailian chap.

I did once see how much his survival courses cost.
A LOT is the answer and it states that the chances of him turning up on any given day are pretty slim.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:02pm

OK, let me rephrase that then, he used to live in the woods.  In a house with electric and running water and flush toilets and all, but all he had to do was walk across his back yard and he was in the woods.  And he did stay there for several, several days at a time. 

Which is actually harder, when you are wet and cold and miserable and hungry, knowing that a 20 minute walk will get you warm and dry and full, it gets really difficult to stick it out.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:05pm

The one thing I can't stand on Naked and Afraid is when dudes cry on the show. Come on, guys, millions of people are going to see this. "I miss my wife and kids, I'm so lonely, I can't handle this... WWWAAAAA! I want my momny!!!" I want to jump through the screen and slap some of them upside the head. Some of the situations are damned hard. I'm not saying I could complete every one but I would die before I whined like a little girl on TV.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:16pm

Also there'a a show called Life Below Zero about people living off the grid in Alaska. One of the stars, Glenn Villeneuve, lives in a tiny cabin way north of the Arctic Circle in the Brooks Range. He lives by himself hundreds of miles from another person and the only modern technology he uses is a rifle. He has no snowmobile, no chain saw, or even a dog team. Everything he does is by muscle power. To me this man is a true hard a$$. He impresses me greatly.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:57pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 11:00pm

I feel the same way watching Survivor when their family members show up and they cry uncontrollably. Get a grip people. 1st world problems. Very quaint.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 6:32pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:16pm:
   Also there'a a show called Life Below Zero about people living off the grid in Alaska. One of the stars, Glenn Villeneuve, lives in a tiny cabin way north of the Arctic Circle in the Brooks Range. He lives by himself hundreds of miles from another person and the only modern technology he uses is a rifle. He has no snow machine, no chain saw, or even a dog team. Everything he does is by muscle power. To me this man is a true hard a$$. He impresses me greatly.

That is so 60 years ago cx, natives like me use labor saving tech like chainsaws,  outboard motors,  snowmachines,  atvs and firearms.  Dog teams are expensive to maintain,  barely anyone uses them anymore other than for races and the odd person that actually uses them for chores.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 6:33pm

Idk tho,  most of those 'alaskan' shows could be just actors,  you never know who the real deal is,

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:20am

I suppose some of those Alaskan shows are fake. Life Below Zero appears to be real. They use the same people in the same situations year after year. Many of them are Native Alaskans. Most live as you describe, with modern conveniences like snowmobiles,  chain saws,  outboard motors, etc. Glenn is the only one who goes without. I would use the technology if I lived in a remote Alaskan location. Why make life any harder than it has to be?

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:50pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:20am:
   I suppose some of those Alaskan shows are fake. Life Below Zero appears to be real. They use the same people in the same situations year after year. Many of them are Native Alaskans. Most live as you describe, with modern conveniences like snowmobiles,  chain saws,  outboard motors, etc. Glenn is the only one who goes without. I would use the technology if I lived in a remote Alaskan location. Why make life any harder than it has to be?

I agree Life below zero,  the last alaskans,  and yukon men seem realistic.  Alaskan Bush People is def fake lol.  Wouldnt wana make my life hard too  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)