Send Topic Print
.40 caliber blowgun (Read 1874 times)
Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
.40 caliber blowgun
Nov 10th, 2017 at 7:14am

I just received one of these fun toys with multiple types of darts. Has anybody had experience with these? Any tips or suggestions for care, use, etc. etc. Any help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance

Loki  
IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: .40 caliber blowgun
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 7:44am

They are awesome, I have small 3 foot with mutiple darts. I have taken a few mice and rats. I have made larger ones  ranging from 4ft to 7ft, out of electrical conduit. Wouldn't try to take anything bigger then a rabbit.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 7:49am

I suppose you can clean them out as you would a wood wind instrument but not sure if that's even necessary. I have hunted a little with them. I wasn't impressed. I've heard the .60 caliber ones are better for that sort of thing.  They are a lot of fun for target practice though.

In use they are pretty instinctive. Accuracy is quite good out to 20-25 yards for such a simple weapon. I've heard different aiming methods suggested, personally we would just aim and shoot. It's surprising what you can hit after a little practice.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:06pm

Never used anything that big, got a pea shooter sized one I use with a dartboard in my workshop.
It's good fun Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:50pm

I use a 4 foot, apprx .54 cal cut from a pvc pipe and it`s a lot of fun.  Seem to hit pretty hard .
Maintainance is pulling tissue paper through it by a cord, when I imagine it`s needed.
Cheap ammo is bamboo skewers or small nails with duct tape cones fitted to the end

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 11:09pm

Don't shoot your older sister.

I gave one to my, at the time, 9 year old cousin.  He shot his 16 year old sister with a blunt dart.  She got rather irate and smacked him a time or two. 

And she could run faster mad than he could run, scared.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 10:57am

Ah the mad vs scared speed bursts. Makes me remember childhood.

I've made a couple. The Electrical conduit if it gets to any length gets pretty heavy. Copper is better in weight but corrodes. PVC starts bowing at length. Bamboo skewers with paper cones works. I've heard of heating milk bottles and using a plumb bob to make perfect cones. Haven't tried it though.

I'd love to make one with river cane or bamboo, but they don't grow up in WI  Cry. We're too far north. Also WI bans their use in hunting small games.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)