Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
2017 SITH (Read 21842 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: 2017 SITH
Reply #75 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:02pm

I have an Apache/Shepherd from JudoP and it's quite possibly the best sling I own. Certainly my best short sling at the very least.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #76 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:13pm

CA - thank you for the additional information. I am working on a sling based on the leather one that you sent me. I used the Cap Paul template. It just fits a golf ball - I can see where an elongated pouch would be better.

Thanks for the rivet link. I am using paper brads for now.

I will check out the 3D sling next - busy week at the office!

Here is an example of my imitation of your sling.

Thanks again!

BR_Sling_001.jpg (223 KB | 46 )
BR_Sling_001.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #77 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:14pm

Here is The leather sling that CA sent me. He also sent me one of his 3D printed slings.  I have not had a chance to work w/ the 3D printed sling yet.

CA_Sling_001.jpg (197 KB | 57 )
CA_Sling_001.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #78 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:48am

why have you got extra flaps on the left hand side ?
Also why is the cord attached sideways - actuvely keeping the pouch closed ?
Both those will bugger up the release.

Not sure you've grasped how the template works Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #79 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:41pm

CA - This was my first effort with this pouch and your attachment system. Your advice is solicited and welcomed. 

I followed the template when I cut the leather. Not sure what you are referencing as far as extra flaps on the left side.

Also, I followed your cord attachment instructions.  Not sure what you are referencing as far as attaching the cord sideways.

I am going to keep working on it. I look forward to more details.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:35pm by Blue Raja »  

IP Logged

manospuercas
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #80 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:13am

Sounds great, count me in.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #81 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:25am

Blue Raja wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
CA - This was my first effort with this pouch and your attachment system. Your advise is solicited and welcomed. 

I followed the template when I cut the leather. Not sure what you are referencing as far as extra flaps on the left side.

Also, I followed your cord attachment instructions.  Not sure what you are referencing as far as attaching the cord sideways.

I am going to keep working on it. I look forward to more details advise.

Thank you!

Look at this pouch:

pn the left hand side you have two flaps that should not be there - that side should be identical to the other side - it's a symmetrical template. Somewhere down the line you've added extra bits. 
Also if you look at the left side cords, they have been attached sideways, holding the flaps (which shouldn't be there) closed. Both sides should look the same and be attached the same. 

Look at this and you should be able to see what I mean.

The only difference between the full size pouch and the golf ball pouch templates is the full size one is printed out on A4 paper and the golf ball one printed on A5.  Although I use the full size pouch for everything.
Here's the cap paul I sent you: http://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/captain_paul_sling_pouch_templat...

And here's sort of what I think you used - though again no clue where the extra left side flaps came from:
Looks like you used lakeslingers pouch without following his instrustions - which are quite different from mine Smiley
Also lakeslingers pouch has no rivets. 
Actually re-reading lightslingers instructions and looking at his finished pouch. His instructions are completely wrong lol
flaps 12&3 go together and 4 stays by itself. If you fold flap 2 to 4 as he says you end up with a folded and sealed piece of leather, not a pouch whistle

Pic of cap paul template:

cappaulsmall.jpg (6 KB | 61 )
cappaulsmall.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #82 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:27pm

CA - I think that my photos are deficient. I am going to attach some side by side comparisons.

For sure, I used the correct template.

Again, that you for your help.

side_by_side_001.jpg (272 KB | 45 )
side_by_side_001.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #83 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:27pm

Next photo

retention_cords.jpg (267 KB | 47 )
retention_cords.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #84 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:28pm

And another

side_by_side_002.jpg (330 KB | 44 )
side_by_side_002.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #85 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:29pm

The golf ball test - final photo.  I can really fling a golf ball w/ yours and it is now my favorite sling. I would like to have a few more for a back-up and to give away. I followed your design and the template as best as I could.  I see that mine needs more work. Also, I have not tried mine yet as I have not completed the leather retention loop or the release knot.

golf_balls.jpg (195 KB | 41 )
golf_balls.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #86 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:31pm

Looking forward to instructions on adjusting the template - the pouch is too deep and too short.

Thank you again!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #87 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:12am

too deep and too short for what ?

Also bear in mind the holes on the template are not 'quite' where I punch mine.
I kind of move each punch point slightly diagonally upwards and out a bit, so the punch just intersects the original marking. It's pretty minimal but does open the pouch up quite a lot.

Practice with some paper or a plastic bag Smiley

And yeah, your original photo was a different sling.

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #88 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:04pm

too deep and too short to get good flight - I think. Again, I have not tested it yet. I will report back once I test it

Ansel Adams observed that photographs are abstracts. I photographed the same Cap Paul sling - I only built one thus far.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #89 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:03am

the other thing is that the big knots on the loop attachments are functional. They help open the pouch out to give a really clean release.

I've heard people here complain that their missile is hitting the release cord. This helps prevent that. 

Nothing about the sling is accidental Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)