Looks great Mersa.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Halloween rabbit
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 8:28pm

One year ago and the mystery still makes me ponder. Was it me!?!?!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 8:34pm

well having skinned a fair few critters - had you hit it with a slingstone there would have definitely been internal bruising.

lividity is pretty easy to spot. Generally there are pockets of blood under the skin membrane.

So if there wasn't any of that and no obvious head damage.
Then it was probably disease.

You can't scare a rabbit to death with a stone. And they don't usually run into fences. Not even when there's an 80lb dog rapidly gaining on them who absolutely will eat it while still warm.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 4:17am

Was too long ago to really remember. But no obvious penetration. But the blood vessels were ruptured, but this could happen from RCD as well. Again I'll never really know.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 8:09am

rabbits that die of disease are usually pretty mangy looking critters.
I'm pretty sure you killed that one.

Some years back, dave and I and a couple other slingers got together.
dave brought his atlatls.
So we were wandering through the woods just kind iof randomly throwing spears.
Can't remember who threw it, but one shot aimed at a stump, hit the stump and a muntjac deer that had been hiding next to the stump suddenly ran off.
The spear probably missed by 6 inches.

These random things do happen.

Muntjac are good eating too.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

Slinging: Getting the
most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 8:53am

Considering the relative scarcity of freshly dead rabbits compared to the number of living rabbits, I would simply consider it a much higher likelyhood that your rabbit got hit by a randomly slung stone rather than it just happened to die in the area you were slinging of other causes. Especially considering you were slinging the stone into an area that historically had had a higher density of living rabbits than average. Definitely an interesting story regardless 😂. It reminds me of a time that I randomly slung a stone at a bush about 15-20 feet in front of me in my yard, and a deer suddenly exploded out from it. My stone had barely missed where it had been laying down, and I had been completely oblivious.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 12:47pm

Thanks for bumping this topic to the top.  I agree, definitely an interesting mystery.  From your description and the input from others, if I had to bet I would say that you hit it.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 3:12pm

A few years ago I was walking with my late Kali (Husky Dog) through the woods near my house at night.  I don't like to use a flashlight when I'm in the woods at night because it ruins one's night vision.  I was following Kali's white butt down the trail as we usually did and occasionally I'd let a sling stone go back down the trail where we had just been.  After all, who else would be walking through the woods alone in the pitch dark but me.  As we neared the end of the trail I let one more stone go and heard a thud and a distinctive snort.  Much to my amazement I hit a deer.  Why a dear would be following behind us down the trail I'll never know.  I went back and searched the area for a body but found none.  The next day I went back to look for evidence. There was still no deer body or any trace of blood but there were fresh deer tracks right around where I fired the stone.  If I had been hunting and trying to hit a deer with a sling stone it might have taken me years to be successful. As c_a wrote, random things do happen.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 7:23pm

This story is still a very hilarious personal joke among friends.

Whenever I was slinging earlier in the day and we see some road kill or a skeleton or something similar my friends say
“Mate you got that with your sling”
Came up in conversation recently and made me think.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 6:14am

Grin

Totally forgot about this thread. Wow time flies can’t believe how long some of you guys have been here already.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:22pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
You can't scare a rabbit to death with a stone.

Jaegoor has made the claim on several occasions that you can and he has, in fact, done it on several occasions.  If that is true, I wonder if Mersa's stone just whizzed by it's head...

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)