Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Sling Documentary (Read 6980 times)
Slingbasket

Slingers Unite!

USA
New Sling Documentary
Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:31am

Good morning my slinging brothers and sisters! It's great to finally join in the discussion here. I've been reading this forum and historical material for years. I am very thankful to all who have contributed to the massive knowledge database available here on slinging.org. This is truly the slinging oasis!
My name is Elliott Stanton and I am a slinger. I enjoy weaving slings and teaching people the true power of the sling. I am also a competitive shooter and enjoy firearms. Here are a couple short articles if you would like to take a look:

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/156285/mcas-yuma-marines-win-ciap-western-division...

http://www.mcasiwakuni.marines.mil/Portals/112/Docs/news-section/approach/2013/I...

I am in the process of putting together a documentary solely dedicated to the sling. I would like to canvas our community for ideas. I have already contacted a celebrity about joining me on this journey, and if he is willing, already has a full blown production machine running. Maybe you can guess who it is! His presence here on the forum has been missing. He is out of town for the month, but will contact me when he returns.
Look over this list of topics and let me know what else you would like to see on a documentary.
1. Balearic competition- March 1
2. Roman slinging and history
3. Guam slinging and other pacific islanders
4. Peru- the valley people event January 20
https://petapixel.com/2016/05/13/photographing-perus-traditional-bloody-slingsho
t-battle/
5. John Plant- primitive tech guy
6. Tibet slingers
7. Holy land slingers
8. A full professional ballistics evaluation with slow motion cameras
9.ETC…

Please blow this thread up! If you could assist in anyway, please contact me. Message me in the forum!
Elliott 

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: New Sling Documentary
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:52am

Great stuff.
I would love to see this documentary.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Good luck foward!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:02am

That looks like a pretty comprehensive list. Would be awesome to see it Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IndyDude
Tiro

Just a slingin'

Indiana
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:17am

That's a pretty big list... Maybe you should turn it into a mini-series!  Grin

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:41am

the list is awesome as it is.
things you could add are:

battles where slingers proved very useful.
peoples who were pros in the ancient world .
equipment and possible ways of fighting /tactics used on battlefields.
ways of training (ancient and/or suggested by accurate throwers today) & accuracy achieved.
Inca slingers.
Range, power and world records.(how was it possible? superhumans?/chance?/just consistent training?=>what training?).
comparison of modern slingers vs ancient, is there a big gap in the skill between the two or not?

about : "4. Peru- the valley people event"
what are they doing and there aren't hundreds of fatal wounds?

IP Logged

Slingbasket

Slingers Unite!

USA
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:04am

Parmenion,

Thanks for the input! The Peru event sounds crazy from the article. Just sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I am prepared to film it wearing full riot gear! The footage would be incredible!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:43pm

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see information gathered about sling use among the Native Americans. That would probably require some detective work though.

Your list looks good to me. Will this documentary be available on youtube?  Or dvd release? Either way Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

IP Logged

Slingbasket

Slingers Unite!

USA
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:02pm

Morphy,

Great idea! I was stationed in Arizona and heard of the Navajo tribes slinging. Slinging well enough to pluck birds out of the air! I didn't pursue any leads. Hopefully this thread will connect some of those dots.

As far as release, I'm going for the end zone pass! I'm trying to get my foot in the door with "someone" and take this developing idea right to Discovery Channel. Plan B is just a DVD release. I just need enough material to make it worth while to the producers.

SLINGERS: Your assistance is appreciated! If you know any connections that could/would assist, send them my way.
Slingers Unite!
Elliott

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:31pm

I.think.doing a section in regards to materials used,  natural or man made. Pros and cons of using each. 
Then something about the different style pouches and pros and cons for each.

IP Logged

Slingbasket

Slingers Unite!

USA
Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:25pm

Yes materials and weaving techniques will be shown and investigated. Thanks for the comment!

IP Logged

Slingbasket

Slingers Unite!

USA
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:27pm

May I have a yellow flag please? YES!

Keep up the dialog

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:23pm

celebrity - El Inglandéro Bearitto?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:26pm

I am very excited for this! It’s about time slings got a proper documentary!  Grin I’m assuming the holy land slingers will include David? Also, a few suggestions, it might be tough, but what about including the evolution of the sling as a weapon? How it was most likely invented, weapons that took inspiration  from the sling, like trebuchets and such. And maybe a comparison of the sling to the bow and gun?  Last suggestion, how the sling is used today, you could give examples of people like us that do it as a hobby, and you could talk about how slings have also been used in riots in the modern world.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 6:40am

Quote:
El Inglandéro Bearitto?

lol not me Smiley

I'll be in it - or else lol but i'm not a celebrity.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 5:52am

Just an evaluation of the power and range you can get from a skilled slinger, it's something that's been missing from tv, and most people won't believe it until they see it.

Maybe you could demonstrate a quick version of making a basic sling too to demonstrate how easy it is.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)