Send Topic Print
Yellowjackets (Read 1129 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Yellowjackets
Oct 15th, 2017 at 4:09pm

Through most of the year Yellowjackets, a type of wasp, are pretty much benign.  Unfortunately they are one of the few creatures on earth besides us who can sense their own demise.   Come October they know that winter will mean the end of them and they go on a mad rampage.  They eat their own young, destroy their nests, and go out to sting anything they can before they bite the dust.  Today they're after me.  So far I've killed two and winged one with my floppy Jungle hat.  Normally I leave them alone and they reciprocate but this time of year they are an evil insect.  A lot of species of bees and wasps don't hurt me much but I must be at least partially allergic to Yellowjacket stings.  The effected area will sting and itch like mad for a very long time.  Then over the course of the next week or so the skin around the sting site will die and peel off.  When Yellowjackets come buzzing around me this time of year I go into the full attack mode.  I'm praying I don't get stung today right before bowling.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:49pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Yellowjackets
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 6:23am

Do you know where the nest is, or where they're coming in? One thing wasps and bees cannot stand is ammonia. It drives them off.  You could put pans of ammonia where the nest is and they'll leave.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 8:05am

Not a huge fan of wasps, yellowjackets etc. While they dont rate as low on my list as the "what-the-hell-is-the-purpose-of-that" bugs like ticks and mosquitos, (who Im convinced exist solely to make life a little less enjoyable), they are definitely annoying.

For the most part Im live and let live but any wasps around my house are terminated with extreme prejudice. Think Ill have ro give that ammonia trick a shot, never heard of that one.

IP Logged

IndyDude
Tiro

Just a slingin'

Indiana
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 9:52am

slingbadger wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 6:23am:
One thing wasps and bees cannot stand is ammonia. It drives them off.  You could put pans of ammonia where the nest is and they'll leave.

Does that work with hornets?  We always have a hornet problem in our shed, and they are nasty creatures..
We try to go out in dawn/evening and spray their nests, but they're sometimes hard to find, and they like to build in some difficult places also (folds of a tarp for instance).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 4:21pm

A pan of ammonia is likely to drive away pretty much EVERYTHING !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 6:28am

Never tried it with hornets, just bees and wasps. However, being in the same family, it would probably work.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:45pm

When I used to work for cable TV we would often come across Yellowjacket nests in our pedestals and lock boxes.  We were issued cans of BeeBopper to deal with them. This was effective but you'd have to first discover the nest and run for your life back to your truck.  There is nothing more comical than a cable guy opening a Yellowjacket filled pedestal. You would be amazed at how fast a big, fat guy like me can move.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:11am

It's 20 degrees Fahrenheit here this morning so I'm sure I've seen the last of yellow jackets for the year.

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:37am

My father is severely allergic to yellowjacket stings (we found that out when he passed out cold about 10 min after getting stung --- pretty scary). But he isn't allergic to bee, paper wasp or hornet stings; in fact, he used to raise bees and occasionally got stung. Fortunately, yellowjackets around here aren't as aggressive as RM's.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)