Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lucet and Nålbinding (Read 1415 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Lucet and Nålbinding
Oct 14th, 2017 at 12:03pm

I blame sling braiding but recently I've become interested in nålbinding , basically a form of knitting using one needle. I made a wooden needle out of a stick (which was really easy and took, at most 20 minutes including the sanding) and have actually already managed to get a hold of the basics. I've wanted to make a lucet for a while but didn't think I had enough wood to make it. I've started making one using a horn tip (same as the horn tip I used for my "barbarian" sling), and I intend to finish it, but it was taking a long time to file it out and will require a lot of sanding. Luckily, in making my bullroarer, I realised I had enough wood left over to make a lucet. Where did I get the wood from? Well my first attempt at a bow riser is no more, but greater things have come from it!

I'm hoping to eventually make a full hooded cowl using the nålbinding and then edging it with lucet cord but I think that may take some time... At the speed I currently nålbind (is this right?) I'll have half a hat finished by next Winter... It always pays to be ambitious!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Lucet and Nålbinding
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:32pm

You made a nice job of those wood parts Thumbs Up
Interesting to see how you get on Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 6:06am

I am rather proud of the lucet. A few times as I ws shaping it I was thinking it was going to come out terrible but I managed to get it pretty much symmetrical and it works great Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:07am

I agree with CA.  Nice work on that. Did you apply any oil to it or is that just the natural look of the wood?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 12:05pm

Both of them are just natural. I might add oil or something to the lucet later but it works fine with wool at the moment and I wouldn't want it to get too sticky or leave a residue behind which would then affect how it works. With the needle, because I've been using it a fair bit these last few days, has already got very smooth and may have picked up some oils from my hands so I probably won't do anything to that. Like I said, with the lucet, I think I'll wait and see. My first attempt at a hat is going quite well in that I have the technique going pretty well and I'm coming up to starting the third row. One problem is that I've made pretty big... I'm thinking I might be able to cinch it in a few rows in and then turn those bigger rows up. Most hats seem to have that style so it still might be ok Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 5:29am

I may have enjoyed making the wooden needle a bit too much... I made 8 more and a mini lucet out of two small needles bound together. I really only need the one needle...

Anyone want a wooden needle?

Heh...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 6:20am

I have friends in the SCA who lucet. I make needles for them out of antler and bone. One thing the that may help. Cut slight notches on the sides. This helps hold the cord better.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 6:29am

That is something I noticed with my first needle, because it's just a simple hole, the wool comes out at right angles to the needle so makes it a little difficult to pull it through at times. I might well do that Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:17am

Ok...

So this is going to sound like I'm lying but I swear I'm telling the truth.

I joined a nålbinding Facebook group to see if I could get any tips or inspiration and I posted a picture of the hat I've been working on. Everyone was a bit confused and asked me what type of stitch I'm doing. I'm really new so I said I thought it was Oslo stitch which seems to be the most common type. Nope. They asked for more pictures and exactly how I was doing it.

Turns out I invented a new type of nålbinding stitch they've never seen before. They want to call it Jari stitch (my middle name and the name I go by on Facebook).

I invented a new stitch by accident through my own incompetence and inability to follow instructions Cheesy

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 5:36pm

LOL  Good work!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 6:33am

Best inventions were usually accidents. I wonder if you could patent it??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 8:22am

slingbadger wrote on Oct 27th, 2017 at 6:33am:
I wonder if you could patent it??

Unfortunately most probably no longer. I assume you posted the instructions in a public facebook group. Therefore the invention is now publicly known and "state-of-the-art" and it is no longer possible to file a patent.

But congrats nevertheless  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 10:19am

I give it freely to the world to use! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)