Send Topic Print
Help from any bowmen (Read 1609 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Help from any bowmen
Oct 6th, 2017 at 6:41pm

I have been shooting my bow for the last 20 years it is the only bow I have ever owned and and is the only one I've ever shot seriously. It's an old 68 inch 40# takedown recurve. My friend just recently purchased a 70# bow tech compound and the size power and weight really made me think about a new bow.
Now I don't have much experience with hightech bows but I feel if I was going to get a new bow 2 things must happen.

It must be more compact and lighter than my current bow
And should be atleast 50# draw.

My draw length is only 28inch.

I looked at some crazy hightech bows online with horizontal bows 17inch ata and 80 pounds
Pistol grip triangle bows
Reverse energy bows

To be honest I've overloaded my brain and no longer know what I want.

I always had a soft spot for the bear Kodiak magnum but since yesterday I'm no longer sure.

does anyone have any recommendations.
Bad experiences!
Recurve or compound, short or super short, cheep knockoff or brand names
Hightech madness
Bow fishing ??

I would also be open to the idea or another weapon as long as I could use it ( keep in mind I'm in Australia so that rules out guns airrifles crossbows and elastic powered launchers or slingshots)
I can't think of anything

Hunting mostly small game . Pigs  goat are biggest game around my area.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Help from any bowmen
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:59pm

I am obviously biased but here goes. Ive seen many compound shooters take out their compound bow a week before deer season, sight it in and be shooting bullseyes in an hour. Then after deer season they put it away till next year. Compound bows are marvels of technology but in finding a device to make every aspect of shooting easier they have made it less satisfying as well. This is just how I see it anyways.

Traditional bows are fun but I prefer wooden bows because they offer a connection with the shooter that other types of bows dont, especially if you make your own.

If you want to look into short bows check out Saluki, Lil'Suckling, Samick SKB, Korean Hwarang,  as well as the Magnum of course, and the Super Magnum. For the price Ive heard good things of the SKB. Thats the direction I would go for a budget bow. Or an Ebay Lil' Suckling KT 44. Depends if a shelf is a must for you or not.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 2:36am

Thanks morphy
You really pointed out something I hadn't taken into consideration. Like I said I've always had a soft spot for the kmag and i think it's gonna stay that way now. Wood is good!!!
I enjoy slinging cause it's hard to master.
When I shot my bow 20 years ago I probably felt the same.
I might find a compound bow a lot less enjoyable.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 3:43am

Just thought of something.
How hard is it to make a riser??
And , can I put the limbs off my bow onto a homemade short riser.
Would reducing the riser from 25 to 13 inch increase poundage?
Thinking it would be shorter and lighter , maybe get lightweight hardware.
Then I would have built part of it and might tick all the boxes

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:25pm

Mersa wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 3:43am:
Just thought of something.
How hard is it to make a riser??
And , can I put the limbs off my bow onto a homemade short riser.
Would reducing the riser from 25 to 13 inch increase poundage?
Thinking it would be shorter and lighter , maybe get lightweight hardware.
Then I would have built part of it and might tick all the boxes

Hard depends on your skill level. It would definitely be a good project to feel connected to your bow. I dont think its an easy first-timer project though. It depends on what kind of tools you have and your ability to research and overall skill level in woodworking. Yes, you should be able to transfer those limbs to a homemade riser. After all, your current one is nothing more than a block of material of the right shape and hardware. Nothing special about it.

All other things being equal a shorter riser will yield a higher poundage bow. Making your own riser would also allow you to choose the angle the limbs connect at on your riser which would allow you some variability in the stack/early string tension as well as other variables such as peak leverage at full draw.  All fun things to play around with.

If I were doing this project I would practice on cheaper woods such as hickory. Once I had the knack down and knew all the likely mistakes I would switch to a hard, heavy wood for the final product.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 9:07pm

Thanks Morphy I personally don't have High woodworking skills but I have a older friend who was a Dutch taught shipwright who has built many things out of wood including guitars and other intricate pieces. He has a large array of hand tools and is extremely skilled with wood I was hoping to get his supervision in the process.
I think this will be my new approach.
Thanks again morphy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:06am

I've made two risers for use with ski limbs and I would say I'm far from an expert wood-worker. One was technically usable if I hadn't messed up the drilling of the holes for the bolts to hold on the limbs and the other one turned out pretty much as I wanted it too. it isn't perfect but I think most people even with simple tools (the most advanced piece of equipment I had was a drill) can make a functional riser.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 9:34am

The only thing I would worry about Mersa would be over stressing the limbs. I have no idea how much those limbs can handle. Fiberglass is pretty amazing stuff so I wouldnt be surprised if you could end up with a 55-60 lb bow with no issues. But If you dont have the limbs attached correctly or they decide they cant take the added weight, eventually the vibration and undue stress added in the system could lead to a failure. I'm not an expert on take downs, but these types of failures, where a small thing builds overtime, happens in all bow types.

The last thing you want is something failing at full draw and end up losing an eye when your bows tip breaks off and hits you in the face at mach 2.   Shocked  Tongue (Bet you're really excited now!) Lol. I would definitely be wearing a football helmet the first couple shooting sessions. After each session I would carefully inspect the attachment points and the laminations on the bow limbs. After several hundred shots if everything is still rock solid it should be good to go. Good luck/Have fun.  Cheesy (And yes have experienced the bow tip to the face, and no it doesnt feel good but at least I still have both eyes.)  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus)