Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Medieval slings ammo (Read 2527 times)
JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Medieval slings ammo
Oct 1st, 2017 at 3:37pm

I red an article about ancient and medieval slingers throwing incendiary grenades. I was wondering what kind of substances they used at that time to make such ammo and how efficient were they ?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Medieval slings ammo
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 8:00pm

Basically a mixture or tow and pitch inside a clay bottle about the size of a tennis ball.  Or they threw red hot rocks wrapped in damp cloth, the rock dried the cloth out and caught it on fire.

IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 11:44am

I'd suspect that the incendiary grenades (depending on region) were packed with a light crude oil/petroleum, which in addition to the longer-chain less flammable hydrocarbons also contains plenty of light hydrocarbon fractions and dissolved flammable gases which would improve ignition properties.

Years ago I collected some Illinois crude oil (not as light and sweet as what the byzantines/arabs would have likely had access to) and put it in a 40oz beer bottle (made to withstand pressure) and came out to the garage one day to see that the bottle had exploded from the pressure of the formerly dissolved gases in the oil, with the petroleum and glass shards splattered everywhere. I relate that anecdote just to illustrate that the plentiful short-chain gases in the raw oil would likely greatly enhance ignition.

Here are some pictures of the pottery "Greek Fire Grenades" (molotov cocktails more likely) that would likely have been thrown with staff slings or light catapults when the distance of the enemy necessitated it:

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:04am

there are videos on youtube of uwe slinging incendiary grenades at a reenactent event in germany.
Looks good Smiley

But Then I'm a reformed pyromaniac, so i would say that Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:13am

Do you remember the name of the video or have the link? Sounds pretty awesome Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 1:46pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:04am:
I'm a reformed pyromaniac

No such thing, that flame is always kept lit in the soul, even if hidden under a bushel.  Smiley

Tried finding those youtube vids but was unsuccessful, got any links handy?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 3:27pm

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:21am

Awesome! Thanks!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 6:29am

Any hot material can be used, as long as it fits in the pouch. When fighting the  natives, the Spanish mention them using hot rocks, which they wrapped in cotton. They would sling them and the air would make the cotton burst into flames.
  Also, in 1521, Olaus Magnus mentions a battle between the Danish and Native Finns. The Finns would put small pieces of iron and heat them to red hot. After that, they would sling them. Many of these got caught in the armor of the men, creating horrible wounds. The Danish lost the battle.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 1:01pm

Well the Finns were the inventors of the Molotov cocktail so that doesn't surprise me Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker)