Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bullroarer (Read 1702 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Bullroarer
Sep 22nd, 2017 at 1:32pm

Ok so it's not a weapon but it is primitive so I guess it's good here.

We're all fans of spinning string around our heads so I was thinking someone here has to have some experience with bullroarers. I really want to have a go at making one so does anyone have any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Bullroarer
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 6:55am

I never had the opportunity to make or use one,  but If you check out another forum called www.paleoplanet.net you could probably come across a tutorial on it. It's considered a musical instrument.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 10:32am

I'm really interested in trying one out. I've managed to start on making one but it's going to be quite small so I think I need to get some more wood at some point. Thanks for the link!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 4:09pm

Definitely show some pics, I haven't had the opportunity to.try and make one yet. That fkrum, is amazing.  Great group of people, enjoy

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 4:10pm

first time i hear of a bullroarer!
i used a ruler and mason's string and it worked.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 10:12am

Finally got some time (well actually I just neglected other things to get this done but...) and I got the bullroarer "finished". I say "finished" because I should probably coat it with something and I need to get a different string for it. The string in the photo was just spare and I threw it on just for practice. Talking of practice, it does actually work to some extent! I was thinking it was going to be too small and light, being made of a light wood which all the guides tell you to avoid, but it does get some sound out of it. I'm wanting to make another one that's longer and heavier but at least I know it can be done and I can practice rotating with this one. It came out looking rather pretty Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)