Send Topic Print
Out of the Blue (Read 1206 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Out of the Blue
Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:30pm

Monday night everything was fine. I ate a very normal dinner then fell asleep in the recliner while watching TV. While sleeping I was aware of a sharp pain in my stomach.  I got up around three and took some Tums and Alka Seltzer then tried to go back to sleep. There was too much pain. At six I got up for the day and continued unsuccessfully to treat the pain with over the counter meds.
    By one PM I gave up and went to the ER. The pain was relentless. After three hours of unbearable agony in the waiting room they finally saw me. To make a long story shorter I have an intestinal blockage. How.do they treat that? For starters they jam a tube up your nose, down your throat, and into your stomach where they pump and pump and pump. This is day four of pumping. Having a tube jammed up your nose and down your throat is exactly as grusome as it sounds. It took five tries to get mine down. The fourth attempt could have been a scene from The Exorcist. I've been through some poopy. This is an ordeal.
    I had a major, sneaky BM this morning which I thought would be my ticket home but the last x-rays show that there's still a small obstruction up top. I have to talk to the surgeon next to know if they're going to cut or not. Wish me luck.
    Between my friend Mike and my next door neighbor Rob the dogs are being cared for. We've never been separated before.  I'm sure they're taking this hard.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017 at 6:25pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Out of the Blue
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:54pm

Good luck to you RM. I'm sure the dogs will be very happy to see you when you get back.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 3:12pm

Thanks Morphy;
    BTW, the blockage was probably caused by adhesions from a previous operation. Also, I failed to mention that I can't eat or drink anything. Monday night's dinner was my last meal. I was getting a little fat anyway.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 4:34pm

Ouch. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 7:22am

Damn, that really sucjs, get well soon. I.know the pain of intestinal issues, about 2 years ago I got diagnosed with diverticulitis.  I gotta  be careful with my diet, which can kill me quicker now.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:58pm

Strange they can't give you a pill to break up the blockage

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 7:45pm

It's not food that's causing the blockage though food is what's blocked. Adhesions from a previous operation are messing everything up. I'm going to have a to make some changes in my eating habits when I get home. Tomorrow, probably at lunch time I'll get real food for the first time since Monday. If I handle that OK I could be home.tomorrow night. My babies need me. Here I am with a tube up my nose.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2017 at 4:07pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:28pm

Get well soon.  Real soon.  The dogs need walking.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 11:20pm

I hope you feel better soon RM. That sucks.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 5:28pm

Hows it going RM? Everything on the mend I hope? Are you and the tube on friendly terms yet after your painful introduction?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 6:34pm

Thanks, everyone. I got home on Sunday. I'm still a little washed out but doing OK. I walked one of the dogs for about a mile this morning.  For 63 years what ever went in one end came out the other. I never considered the possibility that someday that wouldn't happen. I have enjoyed the extreme joys of being a glutton all of my life.... voraciously eating anything and everything that crossed my path. I can eat an entire pizza without even trying hard. Those days are gone now. I'm going to have to alter my eating habits. I hope I never have to go through that again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)