Send Topic Print
Clay mould help (Read 810 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Clay mould help
Sep 16th, 2017 at 7:50pm

So I'm hoping sometime this week I'm going to cast some new lead glandes.
I purchased some clay and understand the basics of making the mould. With the intention of making lead glandes weighing around 100-150g what I'm wondering is how do I make the bipoint shape to initially make the mould with. If I'm going to the effort of making a mould I want the shape of the glandes to be near perfect.

I really don't know how to approach this part. Once I have the shape the rest should be easy but I'm stuck thinking about how to do it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Clay mould help
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 1:08pm

I would reccomend buying a clay roller mold from CA

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 1:45pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TUVWDDM/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1505669815...

Press these into the mould. The seam line is already there so you will know exactly how deep to press.

You can also buy metal molds from fishing sites so you dont have to make your own.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:39pm

the old patternmakers for foundry work would glue a sheet of paper between two blocks of wood and turn a shape like that on a lathe. when it was to the shape they liked, they would hit a chisel into the paper glue plane and knock the pieces apart for your cope pattern and your drag pattern.  white glue seems to be preferred.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)