Send Topic Print
Weird or What? (Read 2148 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Weird or What?
Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:39pm

Recently I've gotten into the habit of using cabbage in sandwiches instead of lettuce.  First of all, Iceberg Lettuce goes bad way too quickly while cabbage can last weeks in the fridge.  Also Iceberg has no nutrition while cabbage is loaded with iron and vitamins.  Plus I like the extra crunch and sweet taste.  Try it and see what you think.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Weird or What?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:08pm

Cabbage is great.  I really like it as a salad (with raisins and apples), with a simple vinegar dressing. I never put it in a sandwich but I can definitely see the possibility. Do you use any special sauce or spread with it?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:20pm

I havent tried it in lieu of lettuce but I could see that being really good. I eat a ton of salad. How do you think a whole salad made of cabbage would be?

Also, homemade saurkraut is one of the best foods ever. Really good for you too.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:06am

Most of the time I just use mayonnaise on a sandwich made with cabbage.  If I used it on a burger catsup would be fine I imagine.
   I've never tried a salad with just cabbage as the base instead of lettuce but I imagine it would work.   
    Cabbage is cheap, tastes good, is great for you, and keeps a long time.  I usually buy a head or two every time I go shopping.  I put it in my home made dog food, make cabbage and potatoes, use it as lettuce in sandwich, put it in stir fries, coleslaw, stuffed cabbage, etc.  It is very versatile. 

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:39am

This is what I would call a good cabbage salad. I take regular vinegar instead of lemon juice. https://cleananddelicious.com/2014/03/13/post_5/

The only drawback is that after bingeing on cabbage for dinner you'll have an interesting night.

Cabbage is also great in a dürüm or kebap. Not much of a difference to a hot sandwich with cabbage Wink.

Edit: corrected spelling mistakes
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2017 at 6:35am by Teg »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:44am

That looks excellent, Teg. I'm going to make some.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:21am

It does. Looks like something you could eat for breakfast.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 7:45am

This summer we did a lot of coleslaw. Just prepared a bunch and let it live in the fridge. I liked it was a different way to have vegetables. I liked it a few days old, got more sour that way.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 8:46am

Speaking of letting it sour a bit,  I found out after making my first batch of saurkraut that anything fermented is better than the usual pickiling in vinegar. For those who havent tried it, pickles, saurkraut, kimchi, it's all good.

I tried an all cabbage salad yeaterday. It worked but I usually eat my salad without dressing; I think all cabbage needs dressing. Something like balsmic vinegar, or seasame seed ginger. Definitely healthier than my usual iceberg lettuce.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 3:19pm

I agree that a cabbage salad needs a dressing. At one point I have to try kimchi.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 8:24pm

I've had that salad, Teg, I liked it.  My brother made it and made some sort of thin dressing that was rather good.

However, you don't want to be around me later on that night.   Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:13pm

Kimchi rocks. I fell in love with it in Korea. Koreans make it extra hot for themselves. Real Korean Kimchi might make even Mas blink. It's crunchy, juicy, tasty, and sssooooooooo hot. Tears come from your eyes, you turn beat red, and sweat your butt off. You actually get a sort of a high from eating foods that hot. But it's not gratuitous hotness... it makes sense with the dish. Great stuff!!
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:38am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:32pm

in fish tacos with a remoulade sauce

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 7:02pm

I haven't bought iceberg lettuce in years! I usually buy some sort of dark green like kale or collard greens. Iceberg is not exciting enough.
I do like cabbage a lot, whether it's cooked or raw. I make coleslaw with it sometimes but with a vinegar base instead of mayo

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 6:39pm

Iceberg seems like a big waste to me. I don't necessarily hate it but it has very little flavor, no nutritional value, and it turns brown very quickly. I prefer Romaine or some sort of leaf lettuce.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)