Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thick or thin? (Read 2076 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Thick or thin?
Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:18pm

I've seen people say thick cords are best for slings, and others, thin. Id like to see your opinions and theories as to why one size is better than the other.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Thick or thin?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:01pm

My opinion is the same as for most of such questions. No one has objective proof yet so everything you hear is true solely for that indvidual, according to the best of their current understanding. I know my own opinions on this stuff have changed several times over the years.

For shorter slings I like paracord or some similarly thin diameter. They feel faster. I have heard some say that thicker cords are more stable. Perhaps they mean thicker cords are less prone to twisting or something else that leads to inconsistency.

I used to use a much longer alpaca wool peruvian style sling. It had thicker cords but maybe in relation to its length it was not hugely thicker than the 24inch cords Ive used now. At the time I did not see a huge shift in accuracy when I eventually switched to thinner to justify any conclusion one way or the other. My accuracy when practicing consistently does not seem significantly lower than anyone else so I dont know if there is any truth to thin cords being less consistent. If I can ever get the sling Im working on done I can test between thicker and thin at my current skill level and hopefully come to some kind of conclusion.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:40pm

In my opinion each type has its place. From experience its all based upon what you're slinging. IE the weight, for instance a heavier stone tends to work best with a heavier, thicker sling and vice versa the lighter ammo works best with the lighter, thinner sling. That's what i've found and what i've seen, hopefully it helps Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:56am

I think my opinion is based on even less fact Cheesy I have slings of all thicknesses really but I like thicker ones. Why? No idea. I just do. I don't see that much difference it's really just a preference.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:16am

I have 3 mm and 1.5 mm dyneema arms and I prefer the 3mm for grip and "feel" but the 1.5 is nicer in the release and sound.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 4:40am

Actually that's a point, with a lot of the slings I'm making recently I've been putting a taper in the release cord so actually the thickness varies Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 4:46am

Tapering is aesthetically pleasing also seconds as a whip  Wink

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:46am

Depends on the sling really...

Thinner cords are faster and I've found give better range  especially with longer slings. Any cord weight and air resistance can add up with a longer sling. Though I've just made a 45'' balearic to test which could test this theory.

With shorter slings the weight and air resist doesn't seem have too much of an effect.

I like cords thick enough so that they don't tangle etc, paracord is perfect for synthetic slings, anything thinner is for pure range over ease of use. For natural slings a decent thickness seems to work better, it also seems 'slower' and easier to control which could help accuracy I suppose. I usually taper to some extent as it seems to release easier and doesn't jar the hand from the release cord weight. If I'm going just for feel I taper to a moderate length, if I want a crack (at the expense of the cord ends) I taper it nice and thin.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:30am

JudoP wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:46am:
With shorter slings the weight and air resist doesn't seem have too much of an effect.

But this effect depends not only on the length (shortness) of a sling but on the "caliber" too. For throwing a stone of weight 50 -70 g only even the shortes balearic "fat-cords-heavy-weight-split-pouch-sling" were pretty useless / not suitable.

I think a slings cords are made thicker only for three reasons:

1. Higher durability (stone resistance - even for stones of weight 300 g)
2. Higher rigidity (tangle ~ and bend resistance)
3. More possibilities for (higher) tapering ratio (thick : thin ... heavy : light)

But I think the need of high tapering ratio is (becomes) over-estimated: There are other solutions to give the release cord enough "drive" or "bend resistance" (rigidity).

Also the two other "advantages" of thicker cords can be performed on other ways - espacially by using modern materials.

So I always would prefer the thinner ones - even for that out of natural materials - because I see no need for making a sling durable for throwing 80.000 stones instead of making 8 slings that are durable for only 10.000 throws. The cheapness of less material (for one single sling) have no more use / advantage if the handwork costs more then 6 hours, because then its price would be 120 Euro nevertheless.

A sling always is as good as its slinger only - but that speech is not to revers! A slinging master (like yedi master Joda, e.g.  Wink) also slings with only a lumpy brace(s), belt or hoisery still very good, far and accurat.

For more flexibility in changing / choosing the thrown "calibers" (70 - 200 g / 20 - 60 mm) the thinner and lighter cords are better and more "comfortable" to carry.

But sure - it remains the question: What means "thin"? 2, 3, 4 or 5 mm ?

Perhaps for more aesthetic: If the slinger is thick & short the sling should be thick & short too.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:16pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:45pm

I'll basically agree with the consensus. It really just depends.  Both kinds work well when proper form is used.  If I had to pick I'd go with an in between width.  A lot of my favorite slings have cords of about 1/4" thick.   

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 10:19pm

Thin and dense for me

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:25am

3mm is my favourite.

But It really is just a matter of preference.
thin cords and small pouches for distance slings don't throw stuff any further than heavy pouches and thick cords for distance slings.
One cuts through the atmosphere the other smashes it aside.

Seen people with both types throw a fair old way Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker)